Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Origin of Yiddish boy name Nota/Note

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 1:02 pm
Was just doing some ancestry digging, and discovered an ancestor with this name (pronounced Nuh-tah, or Noh-tah, I think.) He was from the Poland/Russia border, Yiddish speaking family. Does anyone know what this name means in Yiddish? Is it connected to Nosson or not at all?

Einikel

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 1:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Was just doing some ancestry digging, and discovered an ancestor with this name (pronounced Nuh-tah, or Noh-tah, I think.) He was from the Poland/Russia border, Yiddish speaking family. Does anyone know what this name means in Yiddish? Is it connected to Nosson or not at all?

Nossan Nuta is a common combination it sounds like the yiddishized version of Nosson

zohar

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 1:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I think it's connected. Nosson Notte is a common combination.

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 1:05 pm
Nathan -> Nute or Nota

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 1:08 pm
Einikel wrote:
Nossan Nuta is a common combination it sounds like the yiddishized version of Nosson

I'm curious how that came to be because Nota sounds closer to Natan which would be a less yiddishized version of Nosson. Is it like Aryeh Leib or Tzvi Hersch? Does Note mean something in Yiddish? (Like Leib and Hersch do?)

Einikel

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 1:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm curious how that came to be because Nota sounds closer to Natan which would be a less yiddishized version of Nosson. Is it like Aryeh Leib or Tzvi Hersch? Does Note mean something in Yiddish? (Like Leib and Hersch do?)

I don’t know but there are names like Yitzchak Isaac which is also Yiddish for Yitzchak and also the secular pronunciation.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 1:20 pm
Einikel wrote:
I don’t know but there are names like Yitzchak Isaac which is also Yiddish for Yitzchak and also the secular pronunciation.

Maybe... Do you know if names like Yitzchak Isaac came from when they were back in Europe, or did they take those on only in the US?

ETA: actually I think you're right. I just listened in Google translate to how to pronounce "Nathan" in Russian and Polish and they both sound like "Natan", so it makes sense.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 12:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Maybe... Do you know if names like Yitzchak Isaac came from when they were back in Europe, or did they take those on only in the US?

ETA: actually I think you're right. I just listened in Google translate to how to pronounce "Nathan" in Russian and Polish and they both sound like "Natan", so it makes sense.

From Europe. Its not pronounced like Isaac in English more like Ah-zik.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Dec 20 2022, 10:27 am
Bump is it the same as nosson? Or does it mean to plant נטע?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 20 2022, 10:31 am
amother Wheat wrote:
Bump is it the same as nosson? Or does it mean to plant נטע?

So funny. I'd totally forgotten that I started this thread and clicked on it because it looked interesting. I don't think I got a definite answer but I think it was related to Nosson. Neta is a usually a girl's name, I think, in modern Hebrew. Don't think there's a connection.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, Dec 20 2022, 10:35 am
Nosson Notta go together.

Pronounced Nuh tuh (litvish accent).

Many names had a morphed “yiddishized” pronunciation which ultimately became an added part of the name and/or at times even a name on its own.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 8:24 am
My Polish great grandfather’s Hebrew name was Nosson and the Polish pronunciation was like “Nutan.”
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names