Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Please help me with gluten free... (places to shop/lkwd)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 9:25 am
After getting no where with doctors and my daughter being in in pain (abdominal, and skin issues) I’m putting my daughter on a trial gluten free diet for a few weeks.
I have no idea where to start!!
We eat lots of bread, pasta, cake here.
I would like to start after shabbos.
Where do I go to stock up on gluten free food? We live in Lakewood.
This is for a picky preteen girl who lives off of macaroni and cheese, pizza etc
What food is tasty? Please give suggestions of food items that tastes almost regular.
I decided that I’m not taking her off of dairy and sugar at the same time.
For now we’ll just do gluten.
I would love a list of tasty food and places to buy them.
Thanks!!

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 9:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
After getting no where with doctors and my daughter being in in pain (abdominal, and skin issues) I’m putting my daughter on a trial gluten free diet for a few weeks.
I have no idea where to start!!
We eat lots of bread, pasta, cake here.
I would like to start after shabbos.
Where do I go to stock up on gluten free food? We live in Lakewood.
This is for a picky preteen girl who lives off of macaroni and cheese, pizza etc
What food is tasty? Please give suggestions of food items that tastes almost regular.
I decided that I’m not taking her off of dairy and sugar at the same time.
For now we’ll just do gluten.
I would love a list of tasty food and places to buy them.
Thanks!!

You may wanna think of your good yummy pesach dishes.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 9:53 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
You may wanna think of your good yummy pesach dishes.

Yes, was thinking about pesach chocolate cake..
But we eat a lot of fleishigs on pesach and dd is not a fleishig lover at all.

asweet

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 10:14 am
You can buy gf pastas that tastes great in regular not Jewish groceries (catelli brand is fantastic)
Switch to panko crumbs that is gf
Most pizza shops have gf pizza tasting great
I think there's a store gluten freedom in Lakewood, check it out.
For snacks there are quite a few options like Brooklyn bites it's all gf. Check out the grocery.
There's also some one selling baked goods in Lakewood she makes challah cookies and cakes. Name is : Sans gluten.

You can buy a gf flour mix and use your regular muffin or cake cookie recipe and replace.

Try to make the regular foods she likes but change to gf.

You can pm me if you want more info. My dd is on a gf diet for 7 years and my kitchen is pretty much gf and I bake a ton!! As well as patchke with desserts and cakes. It's hard in the beginning but it gets easier

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 10:23 am
Don’t go with pesach recipes. There are so many great gluten free recipes out there that are kitniyos or use oat flour. Save the potato starch for pesach! I love bob’s red mill 1 to 1 flour blend which works well in most baked goods. Just substitute the flour with that blend. It doesn’t work well in every single recipe but it’s worth trying. You can buy gluten free pasta. There is a kosher company that makes gluten free frozen pizza (I don’t remember the brand offhand but check in the freezer aisle of most kosher groceries - I believe it’s a white box). Pizza place and Pizano have gluten free pizza. Some of these things might take some getting used to but I’ve been gluten free for years and don’t even miss gluten at all. There are tons of options out there.. just try them and see what she likes. If you have more specific questions feel free to ask. I know there are stores that specifically sell gluten free items, but I’ve actually never bothered going there. You can buy things in most groceries and places like stop and shop and shop rite. Trader Joe’s has delicious GF cupcakes if you don’t only eat Chalav Yisrael.

Also, regarding oats, you’ll need to specifically look for gluten free oats in ingredients, and some people won’t even eat that if they are very sensitive.

There are a few kosher gluten free Facebook groups which can be very helpful. It’s feels very overwhelming at first, but it’s actually really not a big deal at all once you get the hang of it.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 10:25 am
Aldis has a lot of gluten free food options reasonably priced.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 10:30 am
asweet wrote:
You can buy gf pastas that tastes great in regular not Jewish groceries (catelli brand is fantastic)
Switch to panko crumbs that is gf
Most pizza shops have gf pizza tasting great
I think there's a store gluten freedom in Lakewood, check it out.
For snacks there are quite a few options like Brooklyn bites it's all gf. Check out the grocery.
There's also some one selling baked goods in Lakewood she makes challah cookies and cakes. Name is : Sans gluten.

You can buy a gf flour mix and use your regular muffin or cake cookie recipe and replace.

Try to make the regular foods she likes but change to gf.

You can pm me if you want more info. My dd is on a gf diet for 7 years and my kitchen is pretty much gf and I bake a ton!! As well as patchke with desserts and cakes. It's hard in the beginning but it gets easier

Thank you! This is all new to me and I’m sure it will become easier once we find food that she enjoys.

Is there a store that is known to have a decent gluten free section?
I will check out gluten free pasta in shoprite- thanks!

mc

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 11:28 am
Barilla gluten free pasta is corn and rice based and I find that the most similar to regular pasta for mac and cheese, lasagna, etc.
Trader Joes has gluten free oats at a great price. You can grind it to make oat flour.
Gluten free baking needs a whole learning curve, but definitely can be done..

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 11:36 am
Trader Joe’s has gluten free white bread that my kids love. Also mission brand makes a gf tortillas that taste like regular. Is she going dairy free also cause dairy can cause major stomach and skin issues. If not then it’s not so difficult. Also I can get rories oat dough mix it’s GF and has a challah recipe on back that taste really good. For noodles we like Ronzoni brand the best barrilla gets hard after a little bit and most others don’t taste regular. My kids are all gf dairy free and nut free since birth so we have a lot of experience.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 11:38 am
The idea of going gluten free is not to start eating all gluten free cakes. Idea is that gluten is hard to digest. So you are trying to heal your daughters gut by removing the foods that trigger the pain and inflammation and replace it with nutritious food.
Protien and vegetables are the way to go instead of gluten feee cookies and cakes. She obviously has a sensitive stomach so perhaps cooked veggies and soups will be better tolerated by her rather than raw vegetables and fruits.
Gluten free cakes and cookies have alot of sugar that won’t help in healing her gut...
It probably will be very difficult for her in the beginning because its a complete changeover for somebody who is coming from breads and pastas all day but if you find the right foods and she feels better that will give her the drive to continue.
There is kasha, quiona, brown rice, brown rice pasta, potatoes, sweet potatoes etc for supper instead of macaroni. There is eggs, avacados, veggies, almond butter, sourdough bread, rice cakes etc for breakfast. There is almonds, cashews, pistachios, hummus, carrot sticks, salads, chickpeas etc for snacking.
Hatzlocha and I hope your daughter feels better.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 11:50 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
The idea of going gluten free is not to start eating all gluten free cakes. Idea is that gluten is hard to digest. So you are trying to heal your daughters gut by removing the foods that trigger the pain and inflammation and replace it with nutritious food.
Protien and vegetables are the way to go instead of gluten feee cookies and cakes. She obviously has a sensitive stomach so perhaps cooked veggies and soups will be better tolerated by her rather than raw vegetables and fruits.
Gluten free cakes and cookies have alot of sugar that won’t help in healing her gut...
It probably will be very difficult for her in the beginning because its a complete changeover for somebody who is coming from breads and pastas all day but if you find the right foods and she feels better that will give her the drive to continue.
There is kasha, quiona, brown rice, brown rice pasta, potatoes, sweet potatoes etc for supper instead of macaroni. There is eggs, avacados, veggies, almond butter, sourdough bread, rice cakes etc for breakfast. There is almonds, cashews, pistachios, hummus, carrot sticks, salads, chickpeas etc for snacking.
Hatzlocha and I hope your daughter feels better.

I've been watching this thread but refrained from commenting. Now that you said it first, I will say that I completely agree with you. Avoiding gluten in order to heal is a great idea but substituting with gluten free junk may not yield the results that you're seeking.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 12:24 pm
So you think I should take her off of sugar and gluten at the same time?
I was thinking that trigger foods might be dairy, gluten and sugar but I thought eliminating one at a time at first would be the way to go.
I’m not looking to fill her up with junk food but I was hoping for tasty bread or pasta.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 12:33 pm
I would not suggest to remove too many things at once. Its difficult to make changes.
Gradually increase nutritious foods while decreasing dependency on breads and pastas.
I dont know when I found myself gluten free but I do know it was an unintentional slow process. I replaced the pastas first. Then the cakes with salads. Slowly. I do bake and cook alot and I do use substitutes but those are for treats not instead of the protiens and soups.
Storebought gluten free foods are usually expensive and empty calories. Think about pesach cookies they sell...
I wish you lots of hatzlocha.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 12:50 pm
Trader joe - Best bread bagel And pasta .... best for healing proteins and fruits veggies , soups .. dairy also causes pAin very frequently...... slow transition but she will gradually choose foods that make her feel better

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 12:55 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Don’t go with pesach recipes. There are so many great gluten free recipes out there that are kitniyos or use oat flour. Save the potato starch for pesach! I love bob’s red mill 1 to 1 flour blend which works well in most baked goods. Just substitute the flour with that blend. It doesn’t work well in every single recipe but it’s worth trying. You can buy gluten free pasta. There is a kosher company that makes gluten free frozen pizza (I don’t remember the brand offhand but check in the freezer aisle of most kosher groceries - I believe it’s a white box). Pizza place and Pizano have gluten free pizza. Some of these things might take some getting used to but I’ve been gluten free for years and don’t even miss gluten at all. There are tons of options out there.. just try them and see what she likes. If you have more specific questions feel free to ask. I know there are stores that specifically sell gluten free items, but I’ve actually never bothered going there. You can buy things in most groceries and places like stop and shop and shop rite. Trader Joe’s has delicious GF cupcakes if you don’t only eat Chalav Yisrael.

Also, regarding oats, you’ll need to specifically look for gluten free oats in ingredients, and some people won’t even eat that if they are very sensitive.

There are a few kosher gluten free Facebook groups which can be very helpful. It’s feels very overwhelming at first, but it’s actually really not a big deal at all once you get the hang of it.

Oats themselves are GF but are not for a GF diet unless they are Certified as GF. Grains are highly cross contaminated.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 12:58 pm
Gourmet Glatt has a gluten free / organic section

ontarget

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 1:01 pm
Have you tested her for celiac? She needs to have gluten in body for test to be accurate.
If you did test and it was negative, she can still be sensitive to gluten without the celiac diagnosis.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 1:06 pm
I have a lot of experience and medical and practitioner research on this. I’m GF and so is my family for over a decade. The texture of the breads and pastas will not be the same. She will most likely be disappointed with those faux items. I would not suggest subbing for those products. A factor most people don’t consider is that the faux products have no fiber so can really spike the blood sugar. You can get a few but try some yourself. Most bread products taste better and have better texture when heated. For a true gluten elimination there is no cheating. Dairy is not the same type of elimination and cutting out for The digestive process time of 1 week Shows results. Results are cumulative. I would start with subbing out dairy. There are books on elimination diets. Tofutti, daiya are good dairy substitutions.

ontarget

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 1:07 pm
Stores that have g.free
Supreme health:
Bread,snacks,pasta
Aldi:
Snacks, pasta
Trader joe :
fettuccini in fridge
Cookies
G.f oats
The rest of foods you can find in your local grocery.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 1:44 pm
Today has been day 1 of gluten free so far...

Breakfast was a cup of ice water with a yogurt
Snack- an apple
Lunch- (brown) rice cakes with a piece of cheese
Gluten free cereal with a little milk

Her stomach is hurting a lot today. She woke up in pain and was willing to start her gluten free diet. I told her it will take a couple of weeks until her body gets rid of all the gluten from the past.
She definitely has a dairy sensitivity but is not willing to go dairy free now. She is using lactaid pills to help with that.

Soon I will do a gluten free grocery shopping for her. She likes fruits and vegetables but does not like chicken or meat so this will be a bit difficult for us to figure out.

If anyone else has any specific products they recommend it’s much appreciated.

Thank you to all who have advised!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries