Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My kids are just doing the opposite

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 10:27 am
When I had my last baby I gave a name I didnt like so much but me and dh made up that we gna call him by the beginning of the name what I liked more . ( Like not call him by his fall name ) just first (comes with 2 names ) I like only 1 . First world problem hit in when my kids call him Only by the name I dont like . And I really dont like that name . I told my kids a couple of times that me and tatty are calling him the way we do and it's not nice that they call him the other way. And Because my kids call him that way , freinds and neighbors hear my kids call him by that name so it came to be that it had an impact and more people started calling him with the name I'm resenting . I just feel that my kids are so so mean for doing this , it's just so unfair. Every time they call him with the name I dont like I feel so resentful. I never knew kids can take over something that we parents wanted different. It's just sad to see how the kids do differently. Me and dh do call him by the name we decided to , but the rest of the people not . I'm very upset!

groovy1224

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 10:31 am
I'm a little alarmed at the language of 'my kids are so so mean for doing this'...do you think they are actually doing it to spite you?

Reading between the lines, is it possible they are doing it to get a rise out of you since it bothers you so much? I would suggest letting it drop, let the chips fall, and just keep calling him the name that you want.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 10:33 am
It's hard when you keep hearing your kids using the name you don't like. However most siblings do nickname siblings and it is very common. Is the first name longer or harder to pronounce which is why they prefer the second name?-like yechezkel dov, dov is much shorter and easier to say. Maybe sit down calmly with them and say you prefer the first name, is there something they don't like about it. Have a frank discussion and see if you can come to a solution you're both happy with.
If you keep using the first name, it should hopefully stick at some point.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 10:52 am
groovy1224 wrote:
I'm a little alarmed at the language of 'my kids are so so mean for doing this'...do you think they are actually doing it to spite you?

Reading between the lines, is it possible they are doing it to get a rise out of you since it bothers you so much? I would suggest letting it drop, let the chips fall, and just keep calling him the name that you want.

So here comes my question: ..I'm not sure if I should brag so much about it or is it better not to make a fuss out of it???

Regarding why the kids do it ? I guess they feel more comfortable with the name they like .

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 10:54 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
It's hard when you keep hearing your kids using the name you don't like. However most siblings do nickname siblings and it is very common. Is the first name longer or harder to pronounce which is why they prefer the second name?-like yechezkel dov, dov is much shorter and easier to say. Maybe sit down calmly with them and say you prefer the first name, is there something they don't like about it. Have a frank discussion and see if you can come to a solution you're both happy with.
If you keep using the first name, it should hopefully stick at some point.

The name me and dh call is shorter then the 2nd . Yet both actually are easy to pronounce.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics