Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Questions about making Aliyah with online income
Previous  1  2  3

Rappel

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 5:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
His special needs are physical and cognitive. He needs services. Life is never simple, is it.

Is Neve Yaakov considered in the Jerusalem municipality?

Yes

WitchKitty

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 11:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
To the ima who asked about wheelchair access, no my child doesn’t need that and I hope never will, but excessive stairs might be an issue. He wears adaptive devices and can walk and climb stairs but still tires easily. We’re working with him on gaining strength. If Israel would make us fight to get him the help he’s getting now and he’d lose months of therapies in the process or if there’s a chance he won’t get what he needs, that’s unfortunately a deal breaker for Aliyah as much as it breaks my heart.

I won't lie. You will need to fight. But you will get what you need.
You might want to start the process before you come. You need to make sure that the government recognizes him as sn. The worse he is, the more you get (in other words, say that he's worse than he is, and tell him to act worse at the test).
The schools here are amazing, and, as mentioned, government funded. You don't need to pay for extra therapies, he should get them all there, and the school will help you with most things.
The main thing is to get him the "certification" to get him into a good school for enough hours (of school and of therapy. Of course, if he has a diagnosis, it's easier. But it's divided into 2- his physical problems- walking, hearing, etc.- which is classified as נכות and mental retardation,which used to be called פיגור and is now מ.ש.ה and I don't remember what it stands for.
Once you're classified, you're eligible for school and regular therapy. It's mostly paid for and transportation is free.
If you need anything that's out of the "sal"- 'basket'- or out of the insurance list, that's the main fight. You will get it, but first they say no and then you ask again and then they say no and then they give you half and then if you keep on asking you'll get it.
It's not only SN like that, it's pretty much all government things. It's called Israel. Don't get discouraged Smile

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 2:35 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
I won't lie. You will need to fight. But you will get what you need.
You might want to start the process before you come. You need to make sure that the government recognizes him as sn. The worse he is, the more you get (in other words, say that he's worse than he is, and tell him to act worse at the test).
The schools here are amazing, and, as mentioned, government funded. You don't need to pay for extra therapies, he should get them all there, and the school will help you with most things.
The main thing is to get him the "certification" to get him into a good school for enough hours (of school and of therapy. Of course, if he has a diagnosis, it's easier. But it's divided into 2- his physical problems- walking, hearing, etc.- which is classified as נכות and mental retardation,which used to be called פיגור and is now מ.ש.ה and I don't remember what it stands for.
Once you're classified, you're eligible for school and regular therapy. It's mostly paid for and transportation is free.
If you need anything that's out of the "sal"- 'basket'- or out of the insurance list, that's the main fight. You will get it, but first they say no and then you ask again and then they say no and then they give you half and then if you keep on asking you'll get it.
It's not only SN like that, it's pretty much all government things. It's called Israel. Don't get discouraged Smile

That sounds like a battle alright... I dealt with all these things in the US too. He is classified as a disabled child in NY and scored in the severe/moderate range of delays across all 5 early intervention domains and preschool domains. He wouldn't understand what it means to act worse on a test ha! But yes, I can talk up what he needs, and I'm not lying. He really SHOULD qualify, and I've got piles of paperwork and medical reports to back it up. Would they trust US medical records and EI reports?

Edit: How do they determine mental retardation? At his last eval in the US we were told they can't fully determine cognitive level or receptive language level because his expressive language is so poor and he has some processing issues that cloud the testing. Basically, it's hard to know if he doesn't understand or if he just doesn't respond appropriately. This is a kid who had to be taught for many months as a young toddler how to point and gesture to things, because it just wasn't in his realm to think to do it, but once he understood how to communicate even in a basic way, things improved a lot for him and he's been on a better path since then. I guess I'm asking, how does Israel handle cases that aren't the norm? Do they make snap judgements on their assessments? We're scheduled for continual followup as things stand now in the US, because they know full well the standard tests aren't able to get accurate results for him at this stage.

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Jun 06 2020, 4:04 pm
Please Please call Chaim V'chesed - they will be able to give you a much more accurate picture then anyone here - they literally deal with this all the time
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions