Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Help me make my Cholent taste better
Previous  1  2

lilies

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 2:35 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
I usually add it once it’s fully cooked and I’ve transferred it from pot to crock pot and it’s cooking on low. Does it need to be added while it’s actually boiling?

I cook it for at least an hour.

ila

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 2:38 pm
I cook in high from midday more or less until is done, more or less 4:30, I put the beans already boiled and checked so it take less time, meat already cooked also, taste adjust flavour and add more water more or less a cup and a half and turn it to low

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 3:18 pm
ra_mom wrote:
What size crockpot? How much beans, barley, potatoes, meat? And how much water?

Large size, I usually layer the bottom with potatoes (5 or 6) theb layer with onions, then add the meat (chuck, cheek, gizzards and marrow bones - not much of each just a mix), then add 2 bags of chulent beans, one bag of barley, chicken soup broth mixed with pepper, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, add two gloves of garlic and then add the soup to come up to the bean level and then add enough water to cover with an inch on top, add 6 raw eggs and put it on low.

honeymoon

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 3:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Large size, I usually layer the bottom with potatoes (5 or 6) theb layer with onions, then add the meat (chuck, cheek, gizzards and marrow bones - not much of each just a mix), then add 2 bags of chulent beans, one bag of barley, chicken soup broth mixed with pepper, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, add two gloves of garlic and then add the soup to come up to the bean level and then add enough water to cover with an inch on top, add 6 raw eggs and put it on low.

One full bag of barley seems like a lot. That could be absorbing all the water. I would either cut down on the barley a bit or add a ton of water. Also, try layering the onion first and then the potatoes. potatoes stick to the bottom if the flame is too high.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 3:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

How many people are you feeding? Is this in a 12 quart crockpot?

I'm afraid you're not putting in enough water. For that amount of beans and barley, you'd probably need 16 cups of water. And you'd have enough cholent to feed 2 dozen people.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 4:01 pm
ra_mom wrote:
How many people are you feeding? Is this in a 12 quart crockpot?

I'm afraid you're not putting in enough water. For that amount of beans and barley, you'd probably need 16 cups of water. And you'd have enough cholent to feed 2 dozen people.

8 quarts and I don't put in all of the meat I vacuum seal the other half, use small potatoes. I probably have 12+ cups of water including the soup. should I get a bigger crock pot? Should I be using less beans? I just thought they need to cover everything but maybe I'm wrong. So sorry and thank you for being understanding.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 4:05 pm
honeymoon wrote:
One full bag of barley seems like a lot. That could be absorbing all the water. I would either cut down on the barley a bit or add a ton of water. Also, try layering the onion first and then the potatoes. potatoes stick to the bottom if the flame is too high.

Ok thanks so much.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 4:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
8 quarts and I don't put in all of the meat I vacuum seal the other half, use small potatoes. I probably have 12+ cups of water including the soup. should I get a bigger crock pot? Should I be using less beans? I just thought they need to cover everything but maybe I'm wrong. So sorry and thank you for being understanding.

Use 1 bag cholent beans, 1/2 bag (1 cup) barley, 4 small potatoes, 1 chopped onion, 4 garlic cloves, 2 Tbsp paprika, 2.5 tbsp salt and 10 cups liquid, along with your meat/bones/eggs. You'll have enough to feed at least 12 people. Let us know how it works out.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 06 2020, 6:54 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Use 1 bag cholent beans, 1/2 bag (1 cup) barley, 4 small potatoes, 1 chopped onion, 4 garlic cloves, 2 Tbsp paprika, 2.5 tbsp salt and 10 cups liquid, along with your meat/bones/eggs. You'll have enough to feed at least 12 people. Let us know how it works out.

Ok thanks. Will do next week. I serve 6 but we eat it Friday night as well so 12 is perfect.

Bruria

Post Sat, Jun 06 2020, 8:07 pm
Add some tomato sauce, world of difference!

icare4eo

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 7:06 pm
The best cholent and never flops
Cholent
1 Tbsp paprika
1 overheaping tablespoon ketchup
1 overheaping Tbsp
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper
6 frozen garlic cubes
6 frozen sauteed onion cubes
2 1/2 cups beans soaked over night
1 1/8 cup barley
4 potatoes cut in small cubes
12 cups water
Mix well
Cheek meat or flanken or cholent melt away meat or wtvr meat u like
Croc pot on low
Yummmmm

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 7:36 pm
icare4eo wrote:
The best cholent and never flops
Cholent
1 Tbsp paprika
1 overheaping tablespoon ketchup
1 overheaping Tbsp

1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper
6 frozen garlic cubes
6 frozen sauteed onion cubes
2 1/2 cups beans soaked over night
1 1/8 cup barley
4 potatoes cut in small cubes
12 cups water
Mix well
Cheek meat or flanken or cholent melt away meat or wtvr meat u like
Croc pot on low
Yummmmm

8 quart crockpot? Ketchup & brown sugar?

icare4eo

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 7:42 pm
Whoops I forgot yes in an 8 quart crockpot
1 overheaping Tbsp honey
1 overheaping Tbsp ketchup

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 8:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I think you are using too much barley, possibly also too many beans...

Barley gobbles up a lot of water, so I would go with maximum 1/4 barley compared to the beans.... perhaps even less...

And you could presoak the beans, then they will need less additional water...

Frumme

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 8:33 pm
Like posters above have said, try cutting back on the barley and raw beans. If you want a lot of beans, try cooking them beforehand or, my favorite hack, use canned beans.

A little barley goes a looong way!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 9:08 pm
add 1/3 barley and presoak the beans over night.
dont layer potatoes/onions, juts mix it all well (otherwise the potatoes might stick to the crockpot)
preroasting onion gives a nice sweet flavor (oppposed to raw)

us a 1:3 ration (beans: water) and add one additional cup of liquid for the barley.
pinheadparley is softer in flavour than regular barley.

adding some drops of liquid smoke is nice or buy smoked marrowbones.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 9:32 pm
2 bags of beans? Please soak them in water from Thursday night and then they wont gobble up the water. When cooking chulent, let it come to the boil and cook thru thoroughly, then turn down low with plenty water to cover and more. I like to stir chulent, and have the potatoes on top. Maybe slso add more oil too.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen