Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Did you ever have a mean teacher?
1  2  Next

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 12:12 am
Question says it all. Share your story and your triumph!!!
We need positive vibes here.

I had plenty of teachers throughout my childhood years who just didn’t believe in me. (As in they couldn’t believe I was smart or capable enough to be in the real world.
Guess who proved them wrong......

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 12:53 am
Did you ever have a mean teacher?

YES!!!
in 11th grade a teacher promised me a modified test because she knew I couldnt read Hebrew she told me she would give me the test in Yiddish. She wrote it down in her Delaney book near my name and then when the final came I got it and it was all Hebrew. I freaked out hardly understood a word. I went over to her afterwards and she said that she changed her mind

Btw I failed

Ima Piano

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 12:55 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

I had plenty of teachers throughout my childhood years who just didn’t believe in me. (As in they couldn’t believe I was smart or capable enough to be in the real world.

I've had mean teachers in the past.
A girl in my class was awkward and odd. She used to giggle to herself but even at recess.
My teacher kicked her out because she laughed. She wasnt being disturbing but she quietly laughing. I wonder if it was a tic or something she always did it but yea she was kicked out for a month or so. Girls tried sticking up for her, telling the teacher she didnt mean it but the lady didnt listen.
Heartbreaking😥

yksraya

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 12:57 am
Yes, plenty mean teachers. Too tired to write the specific stories.

Don't you worry fella's! Whoever started up with me, didn't quite see the end of it...for the rest of the year!

Bh I've had some wonderful teachers too. And some just regular teachers, not great, not bad.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 1:02 am
Rightee wrote:
I've had mean teachers in the past.
A girl in my class was awkward and odd. She used to giggle to herself but even at recess.
My teacher kicked her out because she laughed. She wasnt being disturbing but she quietly laughing. I wonder if it was a tic or something she always did it but yea she was kicked out for a month or so. Girls tried sticking up for her, telling the teacher she didnt mean it but the lady didnt listen.
Heartbreaking😥

Kol hakavod to the girls in your class for trying to stick up for the awkward/odd girl with the possible tic.

(Typically the girls bully someone like that and the best you can hope for is sympathy from the teacher)

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 1:02 am
I had a mean teacher in high school.
She apologized to the class at the end of the year for some things she did and explained she was having personal problems. Soon after she got divorced.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 1:03 am
I had a teacher in fifth grade who embarrassed me in front of the whole class. I couldn’t forgive her for years. In eleventh grade she showed up as a sub and she just looked so pathetic and couldn’t control the class, and suddenly the grudge was all gone. I couldn’t believe I let this obviously nebach person take up any emotional space in my life. I’ve since heard that if you find that you can’t forgive someone, it may help to think of that person as pathetic and not worth your energy.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 1:04 am
I also had a very mean principal who was going a bit senile. She very negatively impacted my life and it had long term repercussions. 20 years later I heard she was still principal. Ugh.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 1:07 am
When I was about six, I had a teacher who told me off for making a 6 look like a 0. When I explained that it was a 0, she told me off for making it look like a 6.

Years later when I happened to mention something about her, my parents agreed that she had been an awful teacher, and they they had tried to get me moved. I never knew that at the time. Don't know if it would have made a difference.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 1:32 am
I’m confused. Why are we sharing stories of mean teachers if we want positive vibes?

I had teachers who were nasty. One who told a girl that “if I’d want your seat to be warm I’d put it out in the sun. Why are you sitting here” when the girl didn’t know the answer to her question.
That’s not positive though.

I also had the teacher who reached out to me, and taught me to trust. We’re still in touch today.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 2:40 am
I had a very nasty teacher in4th grade who always picked the girls who wore the cutest outfits and never took anyone else’s hands. I was a good student and one had to use the bathroom urgently I raised and raised but she did not give me an extra glance.... and then... yes I was really embarrassed....

But my father became sick the next year and I had to babysit and help at home a lot... teacher was super nice she let me skip homework and tests. She even sent me a letter when my father died.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 3:23 am
This story happened when my sister was in school a teacher told a girl who was in the year after her mom passed away:
"JUST BECAUSE YOUR MOTHER PASSED AWAY DOESNT MEAN IM GOING TO BE NICE TO YOU"
PS The girl switched schools in middle of the year

Do u understand????
I dont
Teachers need to be careful with what they say

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 3:28 am
I had a professor in grad school who failed a student because she needed to miss some classes in order to get treated for stage-IV breast cancer.

The student passed away soon afterwards.

Do I win? Sad

The professor herself contracted breast cancer years later (although she survived it).

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 4:22 am
Oh yeah.
I had teachers who publicly embarrassed me. A few times. I still have not forgotten it 20 years later. Or maybe longer- its too late for me to do the math. I heard she was a principal now and I will NOT send my kid to that school if she is still running the place.
I had teachers who made mean comments to me and other students. I had teachers who knew I was having a difficult time and none of them reached out to me or helped me if I tried to speak to them. I blurted something out in class once by accident and I was actually shocked that the teacher didn't ask me a question about it after class. Like "do you need help?". But nothing. It was something about my family/personal life that if I were the teacher I would have at least told the student that I was available if she wanted to talk or made a general announcement (at a later point in the period or maybe the next day) to the class that I can talk to girls and keep it private if they needed.
I have had teachers who promised something to me and did not do it when the time came. One promised me a "job" for production when I asked why I was not given anything... I was told they were going to give me one but they decided not to do X in the end. When they did do X and I was not given the job, I felt like trash. I felt overlooked, unappreciated and it crashed my self-esteem.(The same few girls got the job). I even asked her why I didn't get it but was not given a real answer. I could go on. The one who passed a message to my mom that she didn't think I could do well in her honors class and I should think about going to the lower level. (And by the way I got an A on the test. But that is besides the point. Don't underestimate your student!)

I wish teachers had a better awareness. Their words matter. What they say and how they say it matter. It sticks with us forever. Even when we have accomplished great things, have become mothers and professionals- the hurt is still there when we think of that school year (and we will- especially when our kids reach that milestone and they ask us about our 6th or 9th or whatever grade it was). And some wonder why there is no teacher appreciation or not many end-of-the-year gifts. Because maybe you did not deserve all that much appreciation... I can only talk about myself here. But yeah, some teachers have been amazing but so many really destroyed my self-esteem as a fragile pre-teen and teenager. Even the "amazing Rebetzins" or the "ones who have been teaching forever".

I really could go on. I have had some horrific teachers. I have had some amazing ones too. But I wish more had the ability to watch what they say.

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 4:46 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

No, I did not really have mean teachers.
However, I had plenty mean co-students. And plenty co-student that liked to be mean to teachers.
I used to challenge teachers a lot, intellectually, but they all were very patient and did not become mean just because I challenged them.

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 4:50 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Oh yeah.
I had teachers who publicly embarrassed me. A few times. I still have not forgotten it 20 years later. Or maybe longer- its too late for me to do the math. I heard she was a principal now and I will NOT send my kid to that school if she is still running the place.
I had teachers who made mean comments to me and other students. I had teachers who knew I was having a difficult time and none of them reached out to me or helped me if I tried to speak to them. I blurted something out in class once by accident and I was actually shocked that the teacher didn't ask me a question about it after class. Like "do you need help?". But nothing. It was something about my family/personal life that if I were the teacher I would have at least told the student that I was available if she wanted to talk or made a general announcement (at a later point in the period or maybe the next day) to the class that I can talk to girls and keep it private if they needed.
I have had teachers who promised something to me and did not do it when the time came. One promised me a "job" for production when I asked why I was not given anything... I was told they were going to give me one but they decided not to do X in the end. When they did do X and I was not given the job, I felt like trash. I felt overlooked, unappreciated and it crashed my self-esteem.(The same few girls got the job). I even asked her why I didn't get it but was not given a real answer. I could go on. The one who passed a message to my mom that she didn't think I could do well in her honors class and I should think about going to the lower level. (And by the way I got an A on the test. But that is besides the point. Don't underestimate your student!)

I wish teachers had a better awareness. Their words matter. What they say and how they say it matter. It sticks with us forever. Even when we have accomplished great things, have become mothers and professionals- the hurt is still there when we think of that school year (and we will- especially when our kids reach that milestone and they ask us about our 6th or 9th or whatever grade it was). And some wonder why there is no teacher appreciation or not many end-of-the-year gifts. Because maybe you did not deserve all that much appreciation... I can only talk about myself here. But yeah, some teachers have been amazing but so many really destroyed my self-esteem as a fragile pre-teen and teenager. Even the "amazing Rebetzins" or the "ones who have been teaching forever".

I really could go on. I have had some horrific teachers. I have had some amazing ones too. But I wish more had the ability to watch what they say.

I don't know. I suffered more from unkind words and behaviors from other students than from teachers.
What is interesting, is that some of those "mean student" behaviors do not seem to go away, even in adult life. Like this user who posted just yesterday, on this platform, the question "Do ugly people know that they are ugly?" That's the kind of mentality I am referring to.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 6:41 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
This story happened when my sister was in school a teacher told a girl who was in the year after her mom passed away:
"JUST BECAUSE YOUR MOTHER PASSED AWAY DOESNT MEAN IM GOING TO BE NICE TO YOU"
PS The girl switched schools in middle of the year

Do u understand????
I dont
Teachers need to be careful with what they say

Yes yes, careful indeed!
I have a friend who had a hard time with kriah, davened slower. In 2nd grade a teacher told her, Hashem doesn't have time to listen to your tfillos. She says, still till today she has a hard time opening a siddur. She davens to Hashem in mama lashon. It's so sad!

SuperWify

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 7:40 am
Sorry op, this thread won’t be giving you the positive vibes you asked for. Your digging up lots of painful memories for some of us.

I had a really nasty teacher in third grade who embarrassed me in front of everyone and an ok teacher in 6th grade who also publicly embarrassed me.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 7:50 am
I've never gone to Jewish schools I was always the only Jew and I was not religious yet.
Anyhoo, I was a child who had developmental and learning issues (ASD and dyscalculia) and none ''normal'' school wanted me so I went kinda to a school for children who were too good for SN school but not good enough for 'normal' education.
So this is the broader picture you need to get for this story.

I was 14 and I got called at ''gas was intvented to gass Jews like Chickensoupprof'' and it was really sad, and I cried and in our country, every class has a mentor who is like ''caring'' for you and so on. Well, my mentor said ''Ok, you have Asperger, sometimes you don't know social interactions.... what did you do wrong yourself?'' I also got in that year my arm bruised by a classmate and she had the same reaction to me ''what did you wrong yourself? Some children here have problems you know that''. I've never started a fire, but everytime I got upset when someone said ''CANCER JEW'' to me I did.

Once when I was 15 a classmate threw a pencil case to me and screamed ''cancer jew'' and ''fat b*tch'' to me and I stormed off and the headmaster wanted to talked to me because I indeed threw him under his table, and then he was like ''How can you prevent that you get so angry if someone does this to you'' ''well it could only be prevented if my grandma also was killed in the war'' later he said he didn't want to have me angry anymore because ''its gonna be xmas soon'' Can't Believe It

But yeah everytime when I went to the headmaster office because I said ''I'm going report this to the Jewish advocacies'' they said they didn't want me to threat.... Well...

* I need to tell this was a complete white school, I was the only Jew and there were almost no POC or Muslim children in my school... Say this because some ppl automatically think there were only Muslim children who did this

Last edited by Chickensoupprof on Sun, Jun 07 2020, 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 7:53 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

How on earth is a mean teacher story going to give positive vibes???

How about the time my 8th grade teacher embarrassed me in front of the whole class for something I didnt do and almost got me expelled?
Positive enough for you?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics