Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
For those that had preemies.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 1:16 pm
Had my baby girl at 34 weeks. She was in the NICU for 2 weeks and has been home ever since. Her due date was yesterday. She's BH gaining weight, eating and overall very healthy. But she still sleeps a ton and is barely alert. She cries alot but and is either eating or sleeping or crying. She barely looks around calmly and alert. Is it normal? She's 6 weeks old but adjusted age is obviously just born. Is it normal and should I be stimulating her mentally and physically more than a regular full term baby? She's my 5th child but first preemie... Please share your experiences... thanks!!!

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 1:31 pm
My daughter was born prematurely as well, spent 4 weeks in NICU.
Preemies definitely need to be followed more closely (think more doctor visits, EI eval if recommended or developmental pediatrician visit) but sleeping more is VERY VERY NORMAL. Enjoy the peace and quiet.
Also, until 2 years of age it's important to always go by the adjusted age. No need to worry about that, they're just a few weeks "younger" than other kids their "age".

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 1:45 pm
My daughter was born at 34 weeks and spent a week and a half in the NICU. She also came home with some medical equipment that we had to use for a few months. The very beginning was full of doctor appointments and weigh-ins. She definitely got more medical attention those first few months.

I noticed that she was an easier baby than my oldest. She ate and slept nicely and didn’t cry as much. But it turns out she’s more of an easygoing kid anyway.

BH she was fully caught up and normal by 6 months. She is a now a wonderful, beautiful 7 year old. 34 weekers usually do great in the long run.

Mazel tov! Enjoy her!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 12:26 pm
Thanks a lot for the encouragement!

DVOM

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 1:12 pm
My oldest was born at 33 weeks. He acted like a newborn for a very long time, sleeping round the clock, needing very frequent feedings...if I could go back, I would have gotten him early intervention sooner.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics