Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Food ideas for long RV travel out West

eschaya

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 5:10 am
We are planning a 2 week-long RV vacation around the national parks out West (Bryce, Zion, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Sequoia). While we've done plenty of outdoor vacations in the past, we've never done one this extensive and this long. We are trying to be as isolated as possible (due to covid) so I don't want to have to go shopping frequently.
I am trying to make lists/menus for our meals. We will have a refrigerator and stove in the RV.
I'd love some new ideas for meals over this trip.

What I have so far:
noodles and cheese
deli
soup (from packages or cartons)
beef jerky (we will dehydrate before we go)
tuna
couscous, rice, pasta (on the stove)... need a protein to go with
peanut butter/chummus/cheese sandwiches

For Shabbos we will also bring the heatable shelf-stable meal-mart meals.

What else?

Thanks!

grace413

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 5:26 am
No ideas but just wanted to say sounds like a wonderful trip. Have a great time.

sidewalkchalk

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 5:49 am
We did this! Here's what we ate a lot of:

- eggs
- pancakes*
- fish sticks
- canned beans / chickpeas
- ramen noodles (for my kids, a big treat)
- more pancakes
- Kind Bars / Lara Bars (for snacks and the occasional meal replacement). Also string cheese - it's incredibly stable and can stay in a backpack for hours and hours

*If you don't keep chalav yisroel, something like Bisquick that can be pancakes OR biscuits OR a bunch of other stuff is fun

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 5:55 am
If you’re looking for more quick and easy shelf stable Ideas - oatmeal. Either the instant packs or quick cooking. Granola bars. Can you have produce delivered to your RV? This plan sounds dreamy. Hope you enjoy.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 6:41 am
Sounds amazing!

I would add nuts to the list.

Safe travels!

happyone

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 7:39 am
We have done many road trips and and these park are absolutely awesome!!! Enjoy every minute! Plan well with pre-arranged RV camp sites.
We took along Betty Crocker Pizza Maker, sandwich maker, portable electric range and foldable grill which went under the camper.
With those EVERYTHING was easy to serve. The camper also came with a microwave.
frozen items, sandwiches , grilled items etc...
fruit, vegetables and other items were easily replenished enroute.

Enjoy!!!!

Also check which National Parkd are open. I know Yellowstone and Yosemite had closed due to Covid. I did not follow if they reopened since.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 8:05 am
I would take your instant pot assuming you are not flying then getting the RV. Canned fruits and vegetables should be on your list and so should tuna. Others have good food ideas. Plan condiments.

You mentioned you wanted to be remote: Keep in mind that if you are not in a camp spot you will be using propane for your stove, oven, and refrigerator (in addition to your water heater). An RV has batteries but they don’t power for long especially with air conditioning.

I have lots of experience with RVing. I’ve done it my entire life. You can ask any other questions. You need to be sure how things work to use the RV on Shabbos. It can be tricky to turn off everything necessary.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 9:50 am
the meal mart food is gross taste one

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:08 am
Walmart use to allow RVs over night for free
I’m not sure if they still do this
Also they have a pickup parking station
They come out and deliver your groceries to your car

doctorima

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:14 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:

Obviously taste is personal, but I just want to stick up for Mealmart meals. Not that I love them, but many of them taste just fine and can be lifesavers if you want to go to places where there are no kosher restocking options, or in this case, where you prefer to avoid having to shop in them.

The idea that you can pull into your hotel room and have a hot supper on the table for everyone in less than 10 minutes by popping them into a microwave (fairly standard in hotels, though we always verify in advance), and that they require no refrigeration, has been a gamechanger for us.

So don't give up on them because of one poster's bad experience, but perhaps buy some samples in advance and try them with the kids so that you know which ones people will be happy with on the trip.

aliavi

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:27 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:

OP, Don’t miss out on the experience over the food. Kosher is sufficient it doesn’t have to be gourmet or take long to prepare. Keep it simple.

cbg

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:33 am
Don’t forget a can opener
😂

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:36 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:

They're really not bad. The meat ones are better than the chicken and parve versions.

Tzippy323

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 3:19 pm
Take a crock pot. You can make some amazing meals like minestrone soup with pasta in it, and it will cook all day. I used to travel with my family and had a great way to get fresh items enroute. I would call a local orthodox Shul or shower Shabbos store that was on the route. I would ask them to freeze chicken or meat that I wanted as well as some dairy products. (Cottage cheese and hard cheeses freeze well). I would pick them up as we traveled and it made my food selections far more varied. Have a wonderful trip, and be safe!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics