Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Ideal mixer for 10lbs flour/week

daagahminayin

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 8:11 am
I had a Bosch (bought secondhand from a friend). It had the white plastic bowl. I used it to make 2 batches of 5lb flour challah per week. It worked well for a year until the motor died. However, the bowl was a pain to clean and also there was all this gunk build-up inside the machine from where excess dough had entered from the middle of the bowl.

What would be the ideal mixer I should get for this amount of dough? Preferably one that’s easy to clean and maintain. Thanks.

ez-pass

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 8:15 am
I do 6-7 pounds in my Bosch with the silver bowl. I do find it annoying to clean though but it works well.

cbg

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 8:17 am
Magic mill but they are expensive

cbsp

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 8:50 am
What's your budget and storage space? We have a 20qt Hobart that we bought 3rd or 4th hand...

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 8:59 am
I make 6lbs in my magic mill. I have a second bowl someone kindly gave me (but you can probably buy a second bowl) so I can make 2 batches almost simultaneously. I have had it for many years (15 I think) and the motor is still going strong and I use it every week for challah, cakes and cookies. Sadly the egg white beater no longer works. Sad

daagahminayin

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 12:45 pm
cbsp wrote:
What's your budget and storage space? We have a 20qt Hobart that we bought 3rd or 4th hand...

Right now I’m thinking aspirationally so any budget will do. I want to know what’s out there.

Storage space - well it’s for my home not a commercial kitchen but I could find space for it in my garage if need be.

Thanks for all the replies.

cbsp

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 1:05 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
Right now I’m thinking aspirationally so any budget will do. I want to know what’s out there.

Storage space - well it’s for my home not a commercial kitchen but I could find space for it in my garage if need be.

Thanks for all the replies.

Ok, here's a picture. I'm not cropping out my kid so you can get a feel for the dimensions. There's a dough made with 6lbs of flour in the bowl. The table/cart is dedicated for the mixer, it would not be feasible to put on a regular counter.

daagahminayin

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 3:27 pm
cbsp wrote:
Ok, here's a picture. I'm not cropping out my kid so you can get a feel for the dimensions. There's a dough made with 6lbs of flour in the bowl. The table/cart is dedicated for the mixer, it would not be feasible to put on a regular counter.

Wow, that is awesome!

When you bought it 3rd or 4th hand was it in kosher hands the whole time or did you have to kasher it? Do you just have to kasher the bowl and hooks?

cbsp

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 4:03 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
Wow, that is awesome!

When you bought it 3rd or 4th hand was it in kosher hands the whole time or did you have to kasher it? Do you just have to kasher the bowl and hooks?

We bought it off someone who had used it for a challah business and was no longer interested in continuing. She said she bought it used and I think she said that the person she bought it from had also bought it used.

We didn't kasher anything but my husband said we could have it we needed to. We only have a dough hook, my dream is to expand to an egg whisk and paddle some day which we'd buy used as well.

daagahminayin

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 4:08 pm
cbsp wrote:
We bought it off someone who had used it for a challah business and was no longer interested in continuing. She said she bought it used and I think she said that the person she bought it from had also bought it used.

We didn't kasher anything but my husband said we could have it we needed to. We only have a dough hook, my dream is to expand to an egg whisk and paddle some day which we'd buy used as well.

How much baking do you do with it? Is the size a hindrance or a help? How about cleaning?

cbsp

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 7:22 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
How much baking do you do with it? Is the size a hindrance or a help? How about cleaning?

I used to bake 6lb challah 3 out of 4 weeks and 12 lbs before a yontif (well, not Pesach). I once tried 18lb and it did fit but I and my oven couldn't keep up with the dough.

I've done 5lb babka as well.

The bowl is large but fits in my sink (we have a double sink with a divider for milchigs /fleishigs - it fits on one side. It's a bit bulky to wash but not crazy. Same for the hook. It's large, but doable.

The cart that it's on has wheels. When we first got it I stored it outside the kitchen and wheeled in when necessary. That got to be too much of a hassle so we ended up finding a place in the kitchen.

It does need to be oiled /maintained. That we haven't done and really should take care of that.

Oh, and it has 3 speeds but I've never used it on the 3rd speed for challah dough - it's way too fast. Could be I'd use it if we ended up with the other attachments.

My kids know to stay away when it's on - it's not on in the picture above.

daagahminayin

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 7:27 pm
cbsp wrote:
I used to bake 6lb challah 3 out of 4 weeks and 12 lbs before a yontif (well, not Pesach). I once tried 18lb and it did fit but I and my oven couldn't keep up with the dough.

I've done 5lb babka as well.

The bowl is large but fits in my sink (we have a double sink with a divider for milchigs /fleishigs - it fits on one side. It's a bit bulky to wash but not crazy. Same for the hook. It's large, but doable.

The cart that it's on has wheels. When we first got it I stored it outside the kitchen and wheeled in when necessary. That got to be too much of a hassle so we ended up finding a place in the kitchen.

It does need to be oiled /maintained. That we haven't done and really should take care of that.

Oh, and it has 3 speeds but I've never used it on the 3rd speed for challah dough - it's way too fast. Could be I'd use it if we ended up with the other attachments.

My kids know to stay away when it's on - it's not on in the picture above.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions so fully. May your dough be blessed.

cbsp

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 7:30 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions so fully. May your dough be blessed.

Amen!

I love that brachah Very Happy

Hatzlachah!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads