Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Keeping kids quiet while working from home

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 6:55 am
I've been working from home since quarantine started.

DH is out of house all day. he leaves late-around 10:30am so I can get in 2 hours of work in the morning. After that I usually just respond to emails and do computer work and leave all my phone calls to clients in the mornings only.

of course the kids behave better when DH is watching them. And they are easier and play really nicely from right when they wake up as opposed to 11am-4pm when I'm taking care of them and they need entertainment, food, snacks, help with school work etc.

DH sometimes naps on the couch while doing his 'shift' or pays the bills, on the phone with companies etc. the kids usually allow it but they always come to me when there's a fight, kvetch etc. I send them away to DH (hate that I do that but they need to know they can't disturb me)

I dont' really have a normal place to work aside from my bedroom. even when I lock the door they can bang on it, kick, scream which can all be heard when I'm on the phone. DH insists there's nothing wrong with clients knowing I have kids and working at home now because everyone is in the same boat. I say that its totally unprofessional and back in March it was a good excuse. now its overused and no reason he can't keep the kids quiet or away from my door.

I get so upset that he just doesn't get it!! he has an excuse for all the reasons I give him! vent over...

amother
Red

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 7:09 am
Make it clear that in the mornings you’re unavailable for any complaints. Everything goes to dh. He also needs to intervene if they come your way.

If you need more than those 2 hours, pick a time where you can sit them down with a movie and a snack and call it quiet time.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 7:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

DH is out of house all day. he leaves late-around 10:30am so I can get in 2 hours of work in the morning. After that I usually just respond to emails and do computer work and leave all my phone calls to clients in the mornings only.

of course the kids behave better when DH is watching them. And they are easier and play really nicely from right when they wake up as opposed to 11am-4pm when I'm taking care of them and they need entertainment, food, snacks, help with school work etc.

DH sometimes naps on the couch while doing his 'shift' or pays the bills, on the phone with companies etc. the kids usually allow it but they always come to me when there's a fight, kvetch etc. I send them away to DH (hate that I do that but they need to know they can't disturb me)

I dont' really have a normal place to work aside from my bedroom. even when I lock the door they can bang on it, kick, scream which can all be heard when I'm on the phone. DH insists there's nothing wrong with clients knowing I have kids and working at home now because everyone is in the same boat. I say that its totally unprofessional and back in March it was a good excuse. now its overused and no reason he can't keep the kids quiet or away from my door.

I get so upset that he just doesn't get it!! he has an excuse for all the reasons I give him! vent over...

My schedule sounds almost identical to yours.

Is it possible to go into your car for calls or sit in a park.

Or ask him to take kids to the park. During that time my DH does the grab n go pickup with everyone

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:04 am
This works for me: Let your kids know when they must be quiet. Put on a headset only when you are on a call. If your kids interrupt, put out your hand to stop. Dont apologize on the call, this is a new reality.

I have a table set up right behind my chair with crafts. My daughter also has a tablet to play games on.

It isnt easy with the constant interruptions. All of us working at home struggle with this.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:13 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Make it clear that in the mornings you’re unavailable for any complaints. Everything goes to dh. He also needs to intervene if they come your way.

If you need more than those 2 hours, pick a time where you can sit them down with a movie and a snack and call it quiet time.

personally I don’t use screen time to work. I think it takes away a kids inate ability to entertain themselves.
I’ve always worked from home full time and kept babies home. Kids can learn to entertain themselves with guidance.

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 4:25 am
You need a babysitter... That's what all the moms I know, with little children do when they work from home (outside Covid19)... They all had to come to the conclusion that you cannot have children without supervision and concentrate on work... And I also had to learn it...

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 4:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You are right. DH is wrong. It's completely unprofessional. I have stopped calling someone bc I always (even before covid) would hear her kids in the back of the phone. If it was my choice, I would have stopped with that salesperson or company. And there would be lost business. (I switched to email instead, but that can be problematic, bc it's been missed, and I suspect, bc of the kids)

Work at home is not in place of child care. Never was. Never will be.

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 4:50 am
singleagain wrote:
You are right. DH is wrong. It's completely unprofessional. I have stopped calling someone bc I always (even before covid) would hear her kids in the back of the phone. If it was my choice, I would have stopped with that salesperson or company. And there would be lost business. (I switched to email instead, but that can be problematic, bc it's been missed, and I suspect, bc of the kids)

Work at home is not in place of child care. Never was. Never will be.

I agree. It is unprofessional when children or children's noise interrupt your calls...

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 5:12 am
I think you and your husband are
both right. Usually it would be completely unprofessional. But working parents still dont have any options, that didnt change since March. Theres no school and no childcare available and your not supposed to bring anyone into your house, so you have to work with your kids around.

I've discussed this with a few friends recently and they all said that these days whenever they're on work calls or meetings they can see and hear other peoples kids and animals and most people are very understanding.

But, when your husband is home he should keep the kids away from you as much as possible so that you can work undisturbed. Even if the other person will understand, it's still not fair that you should be disturbed.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 5:27 am
Use noise canceling headphones. And keep the door locked. Add a noise machine inside your door if you need that.
Good luck! So hard.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 5:57 am
Do you have a noise machine to reccomend that actually works? Seems to me that the noise gets in no matter what.
I end up hiding in my car half the time I need quiet for work calls.
OP - good luck! We are in the same frustrating boat.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 6:32 am
I'm with you. My kids are too young to be taught not to bother me for long periods of time since I have three under 3 yrs old. My husband starts work at 11 these days so my morning hours are spent in my room with noise cancelling headphones so I don't hear the chaos and when I'm not on a call, there's music to help drown everything out. We're doing the impossible so keep celebrating every tiny accomplishment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics