Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is it crazy?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 10:57 am
My job has become toxic over the past couple of months. Being that my work is mostly office-based, and I've been working remotely, it's become unclear what exactly my responsibilities are. My boss has begun micromanaging and has become extremely unpleasant and I've very much felt condescended to recently, more so than in my nearly 5 years at the company. From the way it looks, this setup will continue until there is a vaccine. He doesn't want to breathe anyone's air until then. Is it crazy to look for another job remotely now? I really don't feel like I can last there much longer.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 10:58 am
my dh switched jobs during the "lockdown". I totally think you can look for a new job.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:08 am
Lots of companies are hiring and reopening now anyway.

ora_43

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:12 am
I wouldn't quit without finding another job, but job searching sounds like a good idea.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:15 am
Any places looking to hire remotely?

I'm nervous of it seeming like a spur of the moment decision since we all haven't seen each other face to face. In general, I hate confrontation or fallout.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:21 am
Don't say you left because of a toxic environment. Pin it on something else--better hours, better location, better opportunity. Otherwise they may think you were the toxic employee.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:22 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Don't say you left because of a toxic environment. Pin it on something else--better hours, better location, better opportunity. Otherwise they may think you were the toxic employee.

Of course, I understand. For now, I'm going with "creative differences" Wink

self-actualization

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:25 am
You should state what your skills are, background, and what type of office work - real estate, insurance etc.

Also if your hours at the old place were tailored to your life or your childcare, take that into consideration - any new job is probably going to become "real" pretty soon and not virtual and you will need to adapt to that.

But yeah - if you are in a toxic place then it's time to start looking.

Also keep in mind that your boss might be under a lot of pressure monetarily right now. Let's say he needs to close deals or sell in order to earn the revenue to pay your salary. So he's in a pressurized mood and he's going to be irritable. He might be thinking - maybe I should have furloughed her in the beginning to save cash. So he's analyzing every move to see if he really needs you - are you adding value. It's not personal.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:33 am
self-actualization wrote:
You should state what your skills are, background, and what type of office work - real estate, insurance etc.

Also if your hours at the old place were tailored to your life or your childcare, take that into consideration - any new job is probably going to become "real" pretty soon and not virtual and you will need to adapt to that.

But yeah - if you are in a toxic place then it's time to start looking.

Also keep in mind that your boss might be under a lot of pressure monetarily right now. Let's say he needs to close deals or sell in order to earn the revenue to pay your salary. So he's in a pressurized mood and he's going to be irritable. He might be thinking - maybe I should have furloughed her in the beginning to save cash. So he's analyzing every move to see if he really needs you - are you adding value. It's not personal.

He's definitely analyzing, the only question is why. It almost feels like he doesn't trust me to do the work I've been doing pretty well until now. I say, go ahead. Rip off the band-aid. My skills (administrative- Microsoft, phone/email etiquette, organization, a bit of graphic design, etc.) are very marketable and my schedule is pretty flexible (no kids yet). The only problem is that I live OOT and am really liking this remote life. If I can find a job that can match my salary (not that high), at which I can work from home, that would be ideal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics