Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Need to vent about co-worker

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 10:41 am
I'm sorry but I need a place to vent.

I am an essential worker and share a closet-office with some else. (You need to squish in to pass behind the other person or open a desk drawer).
The rule is supposed to be that you wear a mask the whole day. Furthermore, the assumption is that people are supposed to be following the laws and practicing SD and the like.
I have high risk family members and she is putting them at risk, as we live in America and nobody can tell anyone what to do.
She went to a bridal shower this weekend and showed a different coworker who came into our office on a break, 100 pics of herself hugging everyone.... Furthermore, in our office, she wears her mask on her chin, as they are hot and hard to breathe in for 8.5 hours.

Everyone has the right to do as they want, but how is this fair? She is putting my family at risk.
(Yes, I do sit here in a n95 all day and feel like I can't even take it off for a drink because hers is never on, but in our society, who am I to tell her what to do!!!)
Jut really frustrated that I feel like I am fighting alone against the tide.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 10:47 am
I also get annoyed at the people who aren’t social distancing but at the end of the day, especially now that laws allow gathering in many situations, there is nothing you can do about it. That is the risk of working in person- you cant expect everyone else to be as careful as you

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 10:51 am
I feel you but I’m sitting in my shoebox shared office also maskless. I wear it when I’m out of the office and perfunctorily throughout the day. You’re in your N95 so you’re safe and short of reporting her to HR (which is well within your rights) not sure what else you can do

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:20 am
Speak directly to her first, then go to your manager, then to HR. If the company policy is to wear a mask, she must.

Also, see if there is any creative way to find a different office space. In my company, for example, people who share a small office take turns using a conference room, which is mostly vacant since we rarely have in-person meetings now. A hallway or corner/nook may be able to fit a small desk.

Since you have a high-risk family member, you may be able to negotiate a work-from-home arrangement. Even if you are essential, you may be able to do many tasks from home, depending on your job.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:31 am
If you have a high risk family member, it is your responsibility to keep them safe, not the responsibility of the people around you. You shouldn't be going in to work under these circumstances.
Perhaps you can work something out with HR that you can get your own office or space for now?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:32 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Speak directly to her first, then go to your manager, then to HR. If the company policy is to wear a mask, she must.

Also, see if there is any creative way to find a different office space. In my company, for example, people who share a small office take turns using a conference room, which is mostly vacant since we rarely have in-person meetings now. A hallway or corner/nook may be able to fit a small desk.

Since you have a high-risk family member, you may be able to negotiate a work-from-home arrangement. Even if you are essential, you may be able to do many tasks from home, depending on your job.

Most of my job can be done remotely. I have been begging to work from home since before Pesach. The answer is no and they are tired of hearing from me.
The conference room is where we put the possible COVID patients (the ones with fever), so that doesn't sound like a better option. There are no empty hallways or nooks.
I just resent that people feel that they have the right to not follow rules and it does not only impact them, it impacts others as well, and not just me. It is selfish. There is a concept of communal responsibility and people just don't care.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:33 am
Can your office provide you with a plexiglass partition? That’s what they are doing in many offices. Both my DH and I have that.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:39 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
If you have a high risk family member, it is your responsibility to keep them safe, not the responsibility of the people around you. You shouldn't be going in to work under these circumstances.
Perhaps you can work something out with HR that you can get your own office or space for now?

I am not thinking that she needs to go above following the general guidelines. But rules and guidelines are in place and she should follow them, irrelevant of if I have high risk family or not. For her to think that she is not at risk and that she doesn't not care, does not mean that she doesn't need to follow rules set up for the Klal.

RuralIma

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:40 am
Does she know you have high risk family members? If she doesn't maybe you should try talking to her and explain that you understand the mask is uncomfortable but you have high risk family members you're concerned about so can we please keep our masks on in this tiny office, no reason to go into details it's no one's business but anyone can understand what the term "high risk" means. I feel like most people would be reasonable and understanding but there are also people who just wouldn't care regardless. It might be worth the chance that she would be willing to follow rules. Such a hard situation, I'm so sorry.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 12:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Most of my job can be done remotely. I have been begging to work from home since before Pesach. The answer is no and they are tired of hearing from me.
The conference room is where we put the possible COVID patients (the ones with fever), so that doesn't sound like a better option. There are no empty hallways or nooks.
I just resent that people feel that they have the right to not follow rules and it does not only impact them, it impacts others as well, and not just me. It is selfish. There is a concept of communal responsibility and people just don't care.

This is an HR issue. Have you reported this issue? Let them take it up with the offenders.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 12:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am not thinking that she needs to go above following the general guidelines. But rules and guidelines are in place and she should follow them, irrelevant of if I have high risk family or not. For her to think that she is not at risk and that she doesn't not care, does not mean that she doesn't need to follow rules set up for the Klal.

If masks are required and she doesn't wear them, you need to report it to HR.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 12:13 pm
Can you switch offices do you can be with someone who also follows the rules?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 12:29 pm
RuralIma wrote:
Does she know you have high risk family members? If she doesn't maybe you should try talking to her and explain that you understand the mask is uncomfortable but you have high risk family members you're concerned about so can we please keep our masks on in this tiny office, no reason to go into details it's no one's business but anyone can understand what the term "high risk" means. I feel like most people would be reasonable and understanding but there are also people who just wouldn't care regardless. It might be worth the chance that she would be willing to follow rules. Such a hard situation, I'm so sorry.

You pointed out a great ironic point. She moved out of her mom's house and into her boyfriend's apartment, as we are in healthcare and she did not want to put her mom at risk. She feels like she and her boyfriend are young and free, he is also in healthcare and potentially exposed, so why stay home-great, share it with the world. She goes out and doesn't SD. She figured she was probably exposed anyway. So heads up-don't go to the supermarket if she is there. As she is happy to spread it form one location to the next.

RuralIma

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 12:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You pointed out a great ironic point. She moved out of her mom's house and into her boyfriend's apartment, as we are in healthcare and she did not want to put her mom at risk. She feels like she and her boyfriend are young and free, he is also in healthcare and potentially exposed, so why stay home-great, share it with the world. She goes out and doesn't SD. She figured she was probably exposed anyway. So heads up-don't go to the supermarket if she is there. As she is happy to spread it form one location to the next.

Wow. I don't understand how there are some people who don't seem to get it. I have a neighbor like that who has a pregnant sister, her sister has been concerned about this whole thing and following the rules but my neighbor "has J*sus so she's not worried and everyone is just overreacting" so she never wears a mask, she doesn't social distance. Can't Believe It I would expect more from someone who works in healthcare. Banging head
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics