Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
The divisive Sharpton for Floyd family spokesman?

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 3:48 pm
What does that say? Not only did he rant during last week’s memorial for Floyd, but today he’s ranting, raving and stirring up anger at the funeral! Is this what a funeral should be used for? To blast the president? To scream about how whites never have to suffer at cops’ hands? This most divisive, despicable individual is the last person to be talking about justice. Has he ever paid for his own crimes (his involvement in the Crown Heights riots, his involvement in the Tawana Brawley hoax, the Freddie’s Fashion debacle, his failing to pay taxes, etc.)? He is the most corrupt, racist individual out there and this ranting won’t help the black cause, it will only encourage more racism. What is he doing to unite? Zero, because as he admitted last week, he knows how to rile people up. I’ve lost respect for the cause of the family since they decided to make this rabble rouser the main event at the memorials and funeral. Disgusting.

Fox

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 3:52 pm
I don't hold the Floyd family responsible. I very much doubt that they realize Sharpton's past and his complicity in exacerbating racial tensions. They no doubt regard him as an esteemed civil rights leader.

The people I blame are the politicians who trek to NY to kiss his ring each election season, thus cementing his image as a community representative intead of a cynical race-baiter.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 3:58 pm
Fox wrote:
I don't hold the Floyd family responsible. I very much doubt that they realize Sharpton's past and his complicity in exacerbating racial tensions. They no doubt regard him as an esteemed civil rights leader.

The people I blame are the politicians who trek to NY to kiss his ring each election season, thus cementing his image as a community representative intead of a cynical race-baiter.

Agree with your second statement, but do you seriously believe the family doesn’t know of him, his past, his “notoriety?” He’s a TV commentator as well. I believe his reputation precedes him. And if they didn’t know him before, they certainly heard his divisive ranting at the memorials last week; why was he given another prominent role to rant at the funeral?

Fox

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 4:02 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Agree with your second statement, but do you seriously believe the family doesn’t know of him, his past, his “notoriety?” He’s a TV commentator as well. I believe his reputation precedes him. And if they didn’t know him before, they certainly heard his divisive ranting at the memorials last week; why was he given another prominent role to rant at the funeral?

Honestly, the family is under a lot of pressure and is dealing with a level of publicity none of us would be prepared for.

My guess is that Sharpton positioned himself and "sold" himself as the perfect interlocutor for dealing with the press, etc. Their emotions are no doubt running high; they want justice; and Sharpton is preying on that.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 4:08 pm
Fox wrote:
Honestly, the family is under a lot of pressure and is dealing with a level of publicity none of us would be prepared for.

My guess is that Sharpton positioned himself and "sold" himself as the perfect interlocutor for dealing with the press, etc. Their emotions are no doubt running high; they want justice; and Sharpton is preying on that.

Makes sense, but I’d have hoped that if they truly are seeking only justice and positive change, they’d make sure to give a platform only to those who could manage a few positive, unifying words, instead of the crew of anti-white, anti-Trump grandstanders. I was particularly disgusted when one of the speakers praised the fact that they’d all given up on all social distancing because “it doesn’t matter any more, “this” cause is all that matters now.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:47 pm
We've had discussions about this before, that Sharpton and Farrakhan aren't marginalized by theI' public they way they should be. Why? Is it that they get results so the unsavory stuff is overlooked? Does anyone know?

servewithjoy

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:55 pm
Agree with Fox.

On another note Yes people know.

So the obvious answer is that people do not care.

And we should really take that knowledge to heart.

OBnursemom

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:57 pm
I don’t love that Sharpton is positioned so prominently, but I like him a whole lot better than Farrakhan. (And yes, I know his history. I don’t like Sharpton at all).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics