Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Another feeding/eating question....

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 10:37 pm
I'm talking about solids. Baby is nine months.
Does anyone else have a baby that eats an insane amount?
My baby seems to just eat and eat and eat and I don't know if maybe I'm giving her foods that aren't filling enough? Or she just enjoys eating so much? Do I really just let her eat as much as she wants? Is it ok to be like ok we've been eating for like 30 minutes now lets go do something else.... or am I really supposed to keep giving her more and more food until she lets me know she's done?

Anyone else been in this position?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 10:58 pm
At my baby's 12 month checkup, I asked the doctor the same question. He said that if my baby was indicating that he wanted more food (assuming he was just given a normal sized portion of food 6-8 oz), to give him half a portion more. After that, If he's still indicating that he wants more, to distract him while taking him out of the highchair.

trixx

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 11:17 pm
1. Make sure she first has nursed or bottle
2. Make sure to offer water
3. If you're doing blw. A lot of the food misses the mouth
4. Do try offering more filling foods
5. You can stop the food when mealtime ends (if its your first then you end the meal) ie eating is also social.
6. Yes you can just have a baby who loves food! Take advantage and offer all kinds of super healthy and weird flavors (spicy, acidic, sharp, etc)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 11:57 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
At my baby's 12 month checkup, I asked the doctor the same question. He said that if my baby was indicating that he wanted more food (assuming he was just given a normal sized portion of food 6-8 oz), to give him half a portion more. After that, If he's still indicating that he wants more, to distract him while taking him out of the highchair.

OK, so I do that but not sure if it's the right thing to do or not...
If she protests (fusses) while I'm taking her out I figure she's actually really still hungry but if she is fine with being taken out then I figure she's had enough. But then part of me is like wondering if that's really OK. Will that not ever teach her to recognize fullness cues?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 12:07 am
trixx wrote:
1. Make sure she first has nursed or bottle
2. Make sure to offer water
3. If you're doing blw. A lot of the food misses the mouth
4. Do try offering more filling foods
5. You can stop the food when mealtime ends (if its your first then you end the meal) ie eating is also social.
6. Yes you can just have a baby who loves food! Take advantage and offer all kinds of super healthy and weird flavors (spicy, acidic, sharp, etc)

Thank you

1. For breakfast I do this. She nurses first then eats. And I realize she usually does fill up at breakfast time and she doesn't eat so much then.
but for lunch and dinner nursing first isn't practical because I purposely feed her when the rest of us eat and I nurse her right when she wakes up from naps. Which I'm considering changing since I see that this may be part of the issue. I may try to re-arrange her nap/nursing schedule and see if I can work it all out so she nurses right before she eats.
2. I do
3. She is actually pretty good at getting most of it in her mouth by now and I do take that into account. But very true.
4. Can you give me some suggestions/examples?
5. OK so I do this. So that's what I want to make sure is OK to do.
6. I try! I added curry seasoning to cauliflower yesterday, she eats tangy plain yogurt with just fruit added for a bit of sweetness, she gobbles up grapefruit. Do you have any other suggestions? I'm purposely trying to expose her to a wide variety but I don't eat much variety myself so I'm not very creative.

Goldgold

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 5:48 am
Is your child over size??
if she is just a big eater, make sure you give her healthy filling foods, like avocado, banana, sweet potato, oatmeal, etc...
One of my kids was a huge! eater (and still is!) he ate and ate and ATE. he was underweight. the dr. ran some tests to see if everything was ok. everything came back fine. I gave him some probiotics to help him absorb his food better. and he started putting on some weight.
he is 6 now. still skinny. still a HUGE eater.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:41 am
I would not worry about a toddler eating much. I think they know what they need. As long as you don't fill her with sugar, sweet drinks and sweets, there is no harm done if she eats more.

In general, it takes 20 minutes for satiety to kick in.

So if you fear that she is just overeating with no reason, try to make more pauses during the meal, so that satiety has time to kick in...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 1:30 am
Goldgold wrote:
Is your child over size??
if she is just a big eater, make sure you give her healthy filling foods, like avocado, banana, sweet potato, oatmeal, etc...
One of my kids was a huge! eater (and still is!) he ate and ate and ATE. he was underweight. the dr. ran some tests to see if everything was ok. everything came back fine. I gave him some probiotics to help him absorb his food better. and he started putting on some weight.
he is 6 now. still skinny. still a HUGE eater.

She's pretty chunky and getting chunkier by the week! I do try to do healthy filling.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 1:32 am
Ora in town wrote:
I would not worry about a toddler eating much. I think they know what they need. As long as you don't fill her with sugar, sweet drinks and sweets, there is no harm done if she eats more.

In general, it takes 20 minutes for satiety to kick in.

So if you fear that she is just overeating with no reason, try to make more pauses during the meal, so that satiety has time to kick in...

oops, I accidentally posted this in the toddler section. She's only 9 months. Any way for me to switch it to the infant section?

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 1:37 am
Sounds like my baby... he could eat a whole slice of pizza Surprised he literally eats more than me!

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 1:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you

1. For breakfast I do this. She nurses first then eats. And I realize she usually does fill up at breakfast time and she doesn't eat so much then.
but for lunch and dinner nursing first isn't practical because I purposely feed her when the rest of us eat and I nurse her right when she wakes up from naps. Which I'm considering changing since I see that this may be part of the issue. I may try to re-arrange her nap/nursing schedule and see if I can work it all out so she nurses right before she eats.
2. I do
3. She is actually pretty good at getting most of it in her mouth by now and I do take that into account. But very true.
4. Can you give me some suggestions/examples?
5. OK so I do this. So that's what I want to make sure is OK to do.
6. I try! I added curry seasoning to cauliflower yesterday, she eats tangy plain yogurt with just fruit added for a bit of sweetness, she gobbles up grapefruit. Do you have any other suggestions? I'm purposely trying to expose her to a wide variety but I don't eat much variety myself so I'm not very creative.

I feed my baby whatever I eat for dinner- curried stew, lentils, squash, chicken, etc. and I make sure not to give flavorless foods. but his favorite is carbs so I try to limit the carbs

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 3:42 am
I feed my baby whatever I eat for dinner- curried stew, lentils, squash, chicken, etc. and I make sure not to give flavorless foods. but his favorite is carbs so I try to limit the carbs.

Why ever limit carbs for a baby? Its what they need at this stage, and its the most filling too.
Babies do not need to be put on a diet, unless ordered by the doctor.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 3:57 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I feed my baby whatever I eat for dinner- curried stew, lentils, squash, chicken, etc. and I make sure not to give flavorless foods. but his favorite is carbs so I try to limit the carbs.

Why ever limit carbs for a baby? Its what they need at this stage, and its the most filling too.
Babies do not need to be put on a diet, unless ordered by the doctor.

I don't put him on a diet.. just eating 2 slices of bread for breakfast lunch and supper is a cause for constipation...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics