Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Are these things normal for a two year old?
Previous  1  2

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I already had him evaluated and they said he’s totally on the ball and followed their directions beautifully. He loves playing with cars and trucks but jumps around even as he does that.

He has no interest in magnatiles, legos etc. he just likes throwing and knocking it over and I wonder if it’s still age appropriate at 24 months as it was when he was evaluated at 20 months.

Sounds pretty appropriate to me. My son definitely never stays still! He loves knocking down magnatiles, too. This doesn’t sound particularly concerning to me.

He plays with some toys appropriately? He generally understands what you’re saying? He communicates his needs to you?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:37 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Sounds pretty appropriate to me. My son definitely never stays still! He loves knocking down magnatiles, too. This doesn’t sound particularly concerning to me.

He plays with some toys appropriately? He generally understands what you’re saying? He communicates his needs to you?

He understands everything and communicates with me bh.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He understands everything and communicates with me bh.

As a speech therapist, I’m not hearing any red flags from your descriptions Smile

Sounds like maybe you just have an active little BOY! Is this your first boy?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:47 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
As a speech therapist, I’m not hearing any red flags from your descriptions Smile

Sounds like maybe you just have an active little BOY! Is this your first boy?

First child Very Happy

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I already had him evaluated and they said he’s totally on the ball and followed their directions beautifully. He loves playing with cars and trucks but jumps around even as he does that.

He has no interest in magnatiles, legos etc. he just likes throwing and knocking it over and I wonder if it’s still age appropriate at 24 months as it was when he was evaluated at 20 months.

Sounds like a typical boy to me. My ds didn't get into legos and building until he was older.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 2:53 am
Think about if you're encouraged his focus time. If he's your only child, from when he's a baby have you been... playing for him, interrupting him when he plays, saying things like good job, now let me show you, how about this... just putting it out there bc many many even experienced parents do this. If you've never let him develop inner focus then yeah he won't be able to sit still. Next time he's engrossed in something even for a moment (like splashing his hands) don't say anything just watch quietly. Keep building focus moment by moment. In general take a HUGE step back from his playtime, no you don't have to sit and show him how to play blocks unless you're doing a therapy session. You can be sitting next to him and engaged in a parallel activity just to be present and keep company.

Goldgold

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 5:21 am
OP, every mom here can share their own experiences with their own kids, and I will do the same. But you are the mother, and mothers KNOW. so follow your own intuitions. Its great to listen and take advice from others, but ultimately he is your child Smile .
My oldest was the the same way, and what I hear from other moms, is just that. he has no siblings and so he likes to create some excitement for himself. It could be when he starts going out to playgroup, he may learn fro other kids how to play. you can also get down on the floor and teach him to play, by playing with him for 30-45 min. Not just setting him up with a toy or game. Play therapy is a real thing, and you can track your childs development through play. It will also enhance your relationship with him, as he will see that mommy is focused on only him right now, not answering the phone, or doing the laundry / dishes / etc...

You sound like a very intuitive mother that you are involved in his development, I am sure You'll do great and he will be fine!

Much hatzlacha!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 6:09 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
One of the first red flags with my SN child was abnormal play. Instead of playing with toys he lined them up, for example. Zero understanding of imaginative play. No shared attention. No imitation. No concept of the difference between a doll and a truck (didn't treat them any different). That kind of thing. Those are red flags.

DD lined up her toys, and that was the only thing she did, until she was almost 3. Then her imagination EXPLODED, and she's been highly imaginative ever since. She's almost 17 now, and her short story fiction amazes her teachers.

My advice is to keep an eye on your child, and keep in touch with your pediatrician. I wouldn't worry until your child is 3 or so, unless you are seeing other things that look troublesome. It never hurts to have regular evaluation, but your child may just be developing at his own pace.

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 6:11 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:

I think the knocking down thing is quite typical for this age... that's what provokes so many conflicts with older siblings...

Once I understood that kids around this age love to knock things down, we made it a game to build for the small one to knock down... It can also backfire when the big ones really want to build... and the little one, with a big smile... knocks it down...

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 8:22 am
I would say it sounds within the realms of normal.
You might find it interesting to look up something called 'schemas' (think it's david athey) it's a theory of thought how children develop different schemes of work-for instance one child might be into 'transporting' where they like simply taking items from one place to another, another child might like lining toys up in a row, or throwing toys etc.
Another interesting thing you might find is in England we track children's progress in the early years using the 'early years foundation stage' framework. This is divided into different areas of development-physical development, communication and language etc etc.
This is the parent's version of it and gives a rough idea of what they might expect children to be doing at different ages. The age bands are a rough guide because every child is unique and develops at different rates etc

https://www.foundationyears.or.....B.pdf
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics