Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Childhood anxiety and depression?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 12:22 pm
My 10 year old DS seems to be expressing feelings that sound like anxiety and depression.
I am wondering if there is a proven benefit to some type of therapy for him, or are there ways that I can help him through? Please share from experience only.

I am not considering medication- if this is your approach, no need to reply.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 12:27 pm
Is it related to the Coronavirus situation? My kids have also been showing signs. I'm trying to give them extra love, take them out to parks for fresh air and exercise, and spoil them in ways I wouldn't otherwise.

Following this thread.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 12:31 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Is it related to the Coronavirus situation? My kids have also been showing signs. I'm trying to give them extra love, take them out to parks for fresh air and exercise, and spoil them in ways I wouldn't otherwise.

Following this thread.

I do not think that it's related, although the situation may certainly be exacerbating it.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 12:40 pm
A family therapist would be a very good thing. If you have a local Children's Hospital, they often have really good group therapy programs for anxious children, while the parents get support in the next room. We used this workbook https://www.amazon.com/Helping.....op-20 DD really enjoyed it, and it didn't feel like "work".

Art therapy works wonders at that age, too. Feelings are complicated, but if a child can draw a picture and tell you a story, you can often get to the bottom of things.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 12:54 pm
I had this issue with DS and thanks to many kind imamothers I literally was able to save my son from the grips of anxiety and partially depression.

I was told to buy a workbbook for D's which I did. I don't have it here so I hope someone will chime in with recommendation.

I was also told to buy a book about anxiety. Unfortunately I do not have access to it now.

Mainly the books taught me that my approach to this specific child needed to change drastically. Instead of going on and on in circles with his worries, the book taught me a very exact way how to deal with it. Plus much more.

OP, you can help your child and he can literally be back to normal once you read some good books.

lilies

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 12:59 pm
Maybe try doing some non-directive play therapy yourself first and see what comes up. That might give you some direction of what to do next and whom to reach out to.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 1:01 pm
Thanks for the replies- just to clarify- he talks more about feeling sad.

lilies

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 1:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the replies- just to clarify- he talks more about feeling sad.

Ask him to draw a picture of what he feels sad about so you can understand him better. There may very well be a specific reason underlying all this that he his having a hard time communicating.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 1:25 pm
lilies wrote:
Maybe try doing some non-directive play therapy yourself first and see what comes up. That might give you some direction of what to do next and whom to reach out to.

Just wondering, what is "non directive play therapy"?

lilies

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 1:38 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Just wondering, what is "non directive play therapy"?

Where you don't guide or question. Child chooses what to create and plays without guidance or prompts.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 6:47 pm
Diet changes, magnesium, methylated b vitamins, NAC, 5htp and GABA have drastically improved my child’s mood and noticeably decreased anxiety.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 9:40 am
I had this issue with DS and thanks to many kind imamothers I literally was able to save my son from the grips of anxiety and partially depression.

I was told to buy a workbbook for D's which I did. I don't have it here so I hope someone will chime in with recommendation.

I was also told to buy a book about anxiety. Unfortunately I do not have access to it now.

Mainly the books taught me that my approach to this specific child needed to change drastically. Instead of going on and on in circles with his worries, the book taught me a very exact way how to deal with it. Plus much more.

OP, you can help your child and he can literally be back to normal once you read some good books.

Would like the book suggestions if anyone can chime in?

lamplighter

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 10:07 am
Also struggling with this would love book recommendations

mha3484

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 10:26 am
I have a child with a different set of issues and when he was little I heard Ross Greene speak about collaborative problem solving method. It worked very well with my oldest so when my next kid who I think has a more anxious nature, starting getting combative and increasingly strong willed I started using the same ideas for him. Showing him a lot of empathy, seeing his behavior as communication, adjusting what I expect from him have gone a long way to reduce his anxiety.

He is still little and has a hard time expressing his feelings. I work with him on how to say what he wants or needs instead of getting physical.

I really recommend the explosive child and www.livesinthebalance.org

busymother

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 11:50 am
I tried all the therapies in the books and what works for us is L-Thianine. It really does something to alter the moods. My son started taking it in yeshiva and called me a month in to ask if he could take more than 1 a day. Really lifesaving.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 1:27 pm
busymother wrote:
I tried all the therapies in the books and what works for us is L-Thianine. It really does something to alter the moods. My son started taking it in yeshiva and called me a month in to ask if he could take more than 1 a day. Really lifesaving.
we see amazing things with l theanine too! It helps regulate serotonin, dopamine and GABA.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 1:55 pm
OP, here is a link to my original thread. If you read through it, you'll find book recommendations.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....60281

BTW, when I read it now, I feel like I should really make a seudos hodoa. Hashem should continue to protect my son. And it's thanks to those imamothers who recommended the books.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 4:07 am
OP, here is a link to my original thread. If you read through it, you'll find book recommendations.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....60281

BTW, when I read it now, I feel like I should really make a seudos hodoa. Hashem should continue to protect my son. And it's thanks to those imamothers who recommended the books.

Thank you so much!
May you have continued health and blessings!

solo

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 8:06 pm
looking for an excellent therapist in passaic/clifton who specializes in treating adolescents with anxiety. My daughters having a really hard time in school. But my work schedule doesn’t allow me to travel too far.
I really wanna help her.
Thank you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics