Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Has anyone used Gefen Wondermelts?

mango

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 10:25 pm
I bought gefen wondermelts and want to use them to ice mini cupcakes for my MM. Does anyone have any advice on how to use them? Should I just melt them and ice or add something to it after I melt it and then ice? I want it to still dry hard...
Any advice appreciated. First time using them and not such an experienced baker!

anon1234

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 10:48 pm
I used them for the first time a couple months ago when making fancy pretzels for my baby's simchat bat. A friend who is awesome at all things baking told me to melt them in the microwave (10-15 secs at a time) and when they are starting to melt add about a Tbsp of crisco and continue to melt...again 10-15 seconds at a time- Keep mixing in between. It worked they came out awesome! good luck, hth!

Jughead

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 11:55 pm
I melted them and used as icing without adding any oil - it was lumpy. added some oil and it was smoother - but never got perfect results.
when I used baking chocolate, I didn't have to add anything and I got perfectly smooth results.
I'd go with the baking chocolate over the wonder melts.

myself

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 7:13 am
Does anyone know what these are made of? Does it taste like real chocolate or like the white baking chocolate?

belovedmommy

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 7:44 am
Bought a lot of those and used them to make lolly molds, they taste like baking choco no good taste at all it's basically for decorations. Op, if u want to make a glaze this itself would not work well u need more stuff the harden it, If u want to make a nice icing u don't use this at all! U make icing with confection sugar and eggs beated.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 7:49 am
They taste like sugar. Literally. Gross.
But perfect for colorful decorations.

I melted mine in the microwave until it was smooth then iced.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 9:47 am
The only good baking chocolate of the chocolate ones. The rest is soley for decorating purposes.

Nikki

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 9:52 am
The quality is terrible. When you melt it in a double boiler it's lumpy and horrible. I usually buy better quality chocolate that the peppermill sells and add food coloring to it. This way it taste good and looks good too. I see some people wrote to add crisco maybe then the texture would be better.

Also for cupcake I would rather use a confectionary sugar glaze with lemon juice.

anon1234

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 12:19 pm
The crisco definitely kept it smooth, it wasnt lumpy. I used it to make fancy pretzels (I drizzled it on top of the pretzels dipped in chocolate)- I wouldn't recommend it by itself, it doesnt taste good and leaves that layer of starch at the roof of your mouth. Just a suggestion- maybe ice them with royal icing (which dries hard) and then drizzle the melts on top to give it a fancy look?

mango

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 1:53 pm
Ok maybe I will give up that idea then, maybe just use it for decoration. Does anyone have a good royal icing recipe or a glaze that dries hard?

sandwich

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 1:57 pm
I didn't like them at all.
I am going back to the bars of colorful baking chocolate

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 1:57 pm
I used them for cake pops. I melted them in the microwave on autodefrost (low setting) for about 3 minutes, then stirred it till smooth. Dipped my cake pops and tapped them gently to release the excess. They came out gorgeous - perfectly smooth and glossy.

I would never eat it though. Yuck. But my kids like them and they look pretty.

Raisin

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 3:52 pm
I'm always baffled at the (american???) obsession with making and serving baked goods that look beautiful but taste horrible.

Unless it is for kids maybe. most adults don't want to eat rubbish.

mango

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 3:59 pm
Raisin wrote:
I'm always baffled at the (american???) obsession with making and serving baked goods that look beautiful but taste horrible.

Honestly I was looking for the easy way out but it doesn't seem worth it anymore with all these people saying they don't taste good and I'm baking them in a fleishig oven and my microwave is milchig and apparently that's the best way to melt them...

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 4:03 pm
All the parve white chocolate for baking I see are just sugar and hydrogenated palm oil, lecithin emulsifier and artificial vanilla flavouring. I *HATE* that feeling of grease sticking in my mouth.

Does ANYONE make proper, parve white chocolate that's mostly cocoa butter?

Raisin

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 4:10 pm
mango wrote:
Raisin wrote:

Honestly I was looking for the easy way out but it doesn't seem worth it anymore with all these people saying they don't taste good and I'm baking them in a fleishig oven and my microwave is milchig and apparently that's the best way to melt them...

if it resembles chocolate you can probably also melt in a double boiler.

I've iced cupcakes using ready to roll icing and it comes out good and hardens somewhat.

Sugar plum

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 6:13 pm
I used the wondermelts on cake pops but if you don't like the taste and want royal icing this is the recipe I use to decorate cookies.
1 lb. confectioners sugar
3 tbsp. meringue powder
6 tbsp. water
Mix until stiff and then color with gel coloring and add water to the consistancy you like. Let dry overnight.
Good luck

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 1:02 am
Nikki wrote:
The quality is terrible. When you melt it in a double boiler it's lumpy and horrible. I usually buy better quality chocolate that the peppermill sells and add food coloring to it. This way it taste good and looks good too. I see some people wrote to add crisco maybe then the texture would be better.

Also for cupcake I would rather use a confectionary sugar glaze with lemon juice.

Which food coloring do you add to the white chocolate? Does it dye nicely?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins