Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Hash browns

tsc3

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 4:27 am
The kind you can order with an egg at a bagel shop. How do you make those? Do you have to boil the potatoes first and then fry?
Thanks.

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 4:38 am
tsc3 wrote:
The kind you can order with an egg at a bagel shop. How do you make those? Do you have to boil the potatoes first and then fry?
Thanks.

Yes, you have to boil the potatoes first. You could boil them whole in a pressure cooker and peel them when you need them... (in this case you can keep them for a few days in the fridge, unpeeled)
Or peel and cut first and boil them in water. If you peel and boil, you have to use them immediatly...
If you boil them in water, peeled, it's good to add a bit of baking powder to the water... this will rough up their surface and allow them to brown better.
then drain
fry in pan for about 20 min. (takes some time), mix from time to time...not too often...

Last edited by Ora in town on Thu, Jun 11 2020, 5:16 am; edited 3 times in total

tsc3

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 5:10 am
Yum. Thanks.

jflower

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 8:22 am
Ora, how about putting the potatoes in the microwave for about 4 minutes on power level high? I wrap the potatoes in wax paper first after using a fork to poke holes in the skin of the potato. That might work.

ez-pass

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 9:08 am
jflower wrote:
Ora, how about putting the potatoes in the microwave for about 4 minutes on power level high? I wrap the potatoes in wax paper first after using a fork to poke holes in the skin of the potato. That might work.

I do this sometimes. Microwave first then fry. I like to.add sauteed onions to them and I spice them up

jflower

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 10:32 am
ez-pass wrote:
I do this sometimes. Microwave first then fry. I like to.add sauteed onions to them and I spice them up

Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes