Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Do you wake your kids or they use an alarm?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 8:28 am
Curious what other do. I have always woken my kids but it’s getting old!! The older they get the more wake ups they need. Thinking of switching to alarms. The few times we have tried it they don’t seem to hear it. Is there a trick for “training” them? I have elementary, middle school and high school aged kids. Is it better to still wake up the elementary ones? Please let’s keep a conversation about alarms civil. What are the pros and cons of both.

happy12

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 8:55 am
Alarms. Its their responsibility.

hodeez

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 8:58 am
They're my alarm :/

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 8:58 am
Post ages of your kids if you think it makes a difference.

Zehava

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 9:00 am
Alarm. I start them young, 6-8 years old. They wake up right away and know what they have to do.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 9:01 am
Waking them just leads to dependence on the wakeup. Bed wetting assuming there’s are no emotional reasons, is a physical immaturity. Alarms will help for self esteem but won’t solve the problem. We just let it ride itself out and both of my kids (boy and a girl) with the problem finished with it when puberty started. If your kids are past puberty, you may want to talk to a doctor about other causes.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 9:04 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Waking them just leads to dependence on the wakeup. Bed wetting assuming there’s are no emotional reasons, is a physical immaturity. Alarms will help for self esteem but won’t solve the problem. We just let it ride itself out and both of my kids (boy and a girl) with the problem finished with it when puberty started. If your kids are past puberty, you may want to talk to a doctor about other causes.

I think you misunderstood. She's asking about waking teens/older kids. Nothing to do with the toilet...

My oldest is 12. They still wake up early ish themselves. At around 7.30/8. When there was school I had to occasionally wake them up to be ready on time.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 9:10 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I think you misunderstood. She's asking about waking teens/older kids. Nothing to do with the toilet...

My oldest is 12. They still wake up early ish themselves. At around 7.30/8. When there was school I had to occasionally wake them up to be ready on time.

Lol I was wondering about the high schoolers but hey who am I to judge Smile

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 9:40 am
I'm a working mom so my kids got alarm clocks at young ages. Thankfully they liked that independence.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 9:44 am
My kids are very deep sleepers. they needed DH or I to rouse them, even with alarms, all throughout HS. Now that 3 are post HS they do wake up when they have to be out early.

singleagain

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 9:51 am
There are computer programs and apps that force you to do math problems. Or scan your toothpaste tube to prove you've taken up. Or one of those clocks that roll away from you. Forcing me you again to actually get out of bed to shut off.

happy chick

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 9:56 am
I think it depends on the child. The light sleeper will do well with an alarm clock, but the deep sleeper's alarm will wake the whole neighborhood before it actually wakes the child. If either works, an alarm does make them be more independent.
As well as if they oversleep it's their problem, as opposed to it being yours;)

singleagain

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 10:22 am
happy chick wrote:
I think it depends on the child. The light sleeper will do well with an alarm clock, but the deep sleeper's alarm will wake the whole neighborhood before it actually wakes the child. If either works, an alarm does make them be more independent.
As well as if they oversleep it's their problem, as opposed to it being yours;)

This is def most important. Especially as it will save you the aggravation.

I live at home again. And when I first started my job, my dad would wake me and wake me and wake me bc that's how I wake... Lots of snoozing. And I finally told him it's not his responsibility. It's mine. And if I'm late for my job, that's my responsibility also. Now he only wakes me if I ask bc I need to get up early or something.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 10:52 am
Yes, only alarms. The trick is knowing no one will be waking you up if you sleep through the alarm and you will suffer the natural consequences of whatever you miss.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children