Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Smelling from sweat

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 7:14 am
Is it normal for a 5-6 yo to smell from sweat? Like a grown up

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 9:31 am
Bump. Anyone know?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 9:47 am
ask you dr but it wounds like the child needs to wear lighter clothes and bathe more frequently

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 11:20 am
She showers every day and changes clothing every day. It's not so bad that someone else would smell it. I noticed it in the evening when I was helping her undress. I didn't notice before when she was sitting next to me. She had run outside in park with friend before.
She wears only one layer of thin clothing.
I just never knew a kid could smell of sweat before puberty.

silverlining3

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 11:36 am
Are you sure it's adult sweat smell? My daughter sweats very quick, but the smell is rather heat smell than actual sweat smell....not sure how to explain the different smells.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 11:48 am
silverlining3 wrote:
Are you sure it's adult sweat smell? My daughter sweats very quick, but the smell is rather heat smell than actual sweat smell....not sure how to explain the different smells.
I do know the difference, that's why I'm very surpriced she smelled like adult sweat... should I be concerned

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 11:59 am
Could also be the clothing. Best thing to absorb sweat and prevent odor is cotton. Cotton undershirt/top, and especially socks.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 12:22 pm
Yesterday she wore a blouse of 100% cotton and today 95% cotton. So it's not the clothing. I'm pretty freaked out from it

Learning

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 12:25 pm
I’m not sure but I think some people even as kids sweat more. I would use a deodorant on her. You don’t want the other children to avoid her because of bad smell

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 1:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yesterday she wore a blouse of 100% cotton and today 95% cotton. So it's not the clothing. I'm pretty freaked out from it

Does she wear a cotton undershirt below her blouse right next to her skin?

lilies

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 1:29 pm
Dr. Google says to check it out with a pediatrician.
5-6 is too young for this.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 1:31 pm
plenty of cotton things are thick.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 1:37 pm
It's normal for sweaty kids to stink but it's definitely different than a sweaty adult smell. I would bring it up her pediatrician, it might be something as simple as her diet or it might be something else or her pediatrician might just say it's fine and nothing to worry about. Some people do sweat more than others. I have friends who will be dripping in sweat and I have never visibly sweated in my life.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 2:10 pm
I will bring it up with her pediatrician. Thanks all for your replies

proudmomma

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 2:14 pm
I just went through the same thing with my daughter who is 5. The Dr took blood work to check for hormone or glandular issues BH results were perfect! My DH is a big shvitzer I guess it's genetic. I bought her a really cool fruity roll on deodorant and she loves it!

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 2:16 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
plenty of cotton things are thick.

It's got nothing to do with the thickness of the material. It's the fabric itself.
Like plastic vs leather shoes. Even though you would think the thickness of the leather shoe would make your feet hotter and sweat more, its actually the opposite. Cotton right next to your skin is the coolest material you can wear, and it absorbs more sweat and odor than other materials. Polyester and made made materials are the worst, no matter how thin or light.

dorothy1

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 7:00 pm
My dd had this problem and it was bc she wasn’t drinking enough water . We significantly increased her water intake and it went away.
My pediatrician was adamant that we not use deodorant

ShishKabob

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 7:03 pm
Could it be that your sense of smell is off due to covid?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 11 2020, 2:11 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Could it be that your sense of smell is off due to covid?
why would covid have anything yo do with this? If anything I wouldn't have smelled it.
Anyway I discussed it with the pediatrician and he said as long as there aren't any other signs of puberty everything is fine and I shouldn't worry.
The drinking water is interesting, she is definitely not drinking enough
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers