Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Who else isnt sending to daycamp even if they open?
Previous  1  2  3  4

gamanit

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 2:36 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
That is a ridiculous comparison. Are you honestly saying that majority of individuals are such selfish, incapable, unreasonable, unhealthy people that being at home with children who they decided to birth while experiencing some financial stress is equivalent to dying of thirst in the desert? I think it is time to open up, with restrictions that are legitimately followed, but I cannot understand how the majority of people are simply so weak that they are thrown off in such tremendous ways by minor inconveniences. I'm not referring to individuals who are legitimately different like parents of special needs children or parents with underlying mental health conditions, but it just does not make sense that people and their children are so at risk and if that is the case then our communities have much bigger problems than COVID19.

Judgemental much? No one has unlimited patience and energy. Three months home with the kids can be too much for someone who was coping just fine under normal circumstances.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 3:08 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Two members of my family have Type A blood, which is being investigated as a risk factor for more serious COVID cases. My kids have no diagnosed conditions, but my youngest has had minor respiratory difficulties in the past when getting over regular colds, where he was given nebulizer treatments and issued inhalers for temporary use. It's not "asthma," but none of my other kids or me or my husband ever needed such things during a cold or sinus infection. So who really knows if we would all recover after a few days, or if one or more of us would be sick for weeks and require hospitalization.

I'm not sitting in a bubble, but we are definitely trying to limit our risks while more is being learned.

In case it makes you feel better, I know lots of type-A blood people (myself included - and blood type is genetic, so those of us who have a certain blood type tend to have family members with same) who had very light cases of the virus and are doing just fine B"H. I wouldn't lose sleep over fears of the virus just for having type-A family members.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 3:09 pm
gamanit wrote:
Judgemental much? No one has unlimited patience and energy. Three months home with the kids can be too much for someone who was coping just fine under normal circumstances.

People who can’t cope with their kids being home, no matter for how long, really might not be equipped to be parents.

giselle

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 3:13 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
If you had 1000 cups of water in front of you and one cup had a deadly poison. Would you pick and drink a random cup of water for 5 million dollars?

It’s more like, do you get into a car when there is a 1% chance of dying in a car crash?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 3:14 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
People who can’t cope with their kids being home, no matter for how long, really might not be equipped to be parents.

Ugh.

Do you know people who have SN kids? I do. I think my neighbor down the block deserves one of those HERO signs. Her son is hard to keep home for 3 months, and he has wonderful parents.

I have a friend who has a service-type business, and she was saying that people whom she considered perfectly reasonable and nice, have exhibited stressful and rather irrational behavior toward her in business settings of late. Somehow the stress of everything going on corona-related has really affected perfectly normal people.

Maybe no one should have children, if they don't think they will live up to Wine's standards in times like these.

silverlining3

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 3:22 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:

Can't Believe It Can't Believe It Can't Believe It Can't Believe It can't hide my face enough.
Maybe you are not equipped for things you are not perfect at, yet still do Or have?!?!? Or perhaps you're perfect in everything?

giselle

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 3:34 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:

It would seem then that most people aren’t equipped to be parents.

gamanit

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 3:36 pm
giselle wrote:
It would seem then that most people aren’t equipped to be parents.

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 3:48 pm
What about kids who can't handle being at home.
I have 3 teens/preteens who are shy awkward extroverts. They live off social interactions, friends, get-togethers. But they are shy so they are uncomfortable calling friends randomly, awkward on the telephone, find it awkward and embarrassing to invite a friend to go walking.
They thrive during school and camp. The social opportunities are so available and it keeps them sane and charged. They hate vacations.
They are too old for me to arrange playdates.
I have watched these 3 kids wilt, get more depressed, and lost. Their battery is gone with no way to charge until school/camp/social lives come back.

I'm desperately davening for school, camp, daycamps.
But that's fine. I'm ok being labeled as the Mom who isn't handling 6 months at home with my kids therefore should have never had kids.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 4:15 pm
Chayalle wrote:
In case it makes you feel better, I know lots of type-A blood people (myself included - and blood type is genetic, so those of us who have a certain blood type tend to have family members with same) who had very light cases of the virus and are doing just fine B"H. I wouldn't lose sleep over fears of the virus just for having type-A family members.

I appreciate that you were trying to be nice here, but it's pretty patronizing. I am not losing sleep over any of the things I listed. These are all potential relative risk factors and sources of uncertainty, that may contribute very incrementally to potentially shift where on the very wide spectrum of completely asymptomatic to death the members of my family might end up. If your point is that we would probably be fine, I agree with you. But at this stage, I prefer to err on the side of caution.

The fact that lots of people with Type A have light cases is completely compatible with Type A being a risk-elevating factor (a question on which the jury is still out). If I pound three beers and drive to my office, I probably won't get a ticket or hit anything. 99 times out of 100 at least. That doesn't mean that the beers didn't significantly increase my risk of doing so.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 4:23 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:

I love having my kids home and would be glad to carry on this way. The thing is that in order to financially support said kids I need to have a job. Having a job requires working. For me right now that has to be done at home. For others it involves leaving the house every day. How pray tell am I to do the work that I need to do in order to support my kids if I am spending all day entertaining them and taking care of their needs because they are home?

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 5:47 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:

I love my children. But 2 parents working 40 hours a week with 6 little kids home including toddlers and no cleaning help has been a bit stressful.

Maybe only people who don’t need to work should be parents

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 10:15 pm
gamanit wrote:

What's judgmental. I think this entire mental health situation is being vastly exaggerated and is hyperbole. Most people are not selfish lazy spoiled etc. and most parents and children can be home for an extended amount of time. I agree parents with mental health issues or children with special needs are a different circumstance. I just don't believe that most people and their are going down the drain or off the wall because of a little quarentine that is not even that strict.... I have more faith in people I assume.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics