Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Broccoli quiche

RW

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 3:58 pm
Hi,
Ok, silly question, but......the last time a made a quiche, it didn't come out so well because the eggs weren't frothy enough (at least I think that's the reason). So, today I made a quiche and set a timer for 5 minutes while I used my hand mixer to make the eggs somewhat frothy. I timed myself because I didn't trust that I would mix the eggs long enough, and I would end up with what I had last time. My husband thinks it's weird that I timed myself and said that good cooks don't set timers, they eyeball everything. Is it weird that I set a timer to mix the eggs? Does anyone else do this or am I the only one?

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 4:09 pm
RW wrote:
Hi,
Ok, silly question, but......the last time a made a quiche, it didn't come out so well because the eggs weren't frothy enough (at least I think that's the reason). So, today I made a quiche and set a timer for 5 minutes while I used my hand mixer to make the eggs somewhat frothy. I timed myself because I didn't trust that I would mix the eggs long enough, and I would end up with what I had last time. My husband thinks it's weird that I timed myself and said that good cooks don't set timers, they eyeball everything. Is it weird that I set a timer to mix the eggs? Does anyone else do this or am I the only one?

Don't listen to him. He doesn't know anything.
Of course they measure precisely...
They have scales to a precision of less than 1g...

Tell him to watch Masterchef or the like...
Pro cooks do a lot of precision work with precision tools...

geemum

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 5:31 pm
each style cook will work differently. to some it's to the minute, to some it's by touch or color etc.

no idea what you mean by frothy eggs though, when I do quiche I just mix with a fork before adding cheese and veg etc.

challahchallah

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 5:33 pm
To get a really fluffy quiche I like to whip a couple of the egg whites separately than fold in the rest of the egg mixture.

RW

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 9:13 pm
geemum wrote:
each style cook will work differently. to some it's to the minute, to some it's by touch or color etc.

no idea what you mean by frothy eggs though, when I do quiche I just mix with a fork before adding cheese and veg etc.

That's interesting. And the quiche holds together with just wisking the eggs with a fork? I guess if you add cheese, the eggs don't needs to be thick and frothy. I make my quiche parve, so there really isn't anything but the eggs holding it all together. If the eggs aren't thick and frothy enough, the quiche kind of falls apart.

challahchallah

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 10:47 pm
RW wrote:
That's interesting. And the quiche holds together with just wisking the eggs with a fork? I guess if you add cheese, the eggs don't needs to be thick and frothy. I make my quiche parve, so there really isn't anything but the eggs holding it all together. If the eggs aren't thick and frothy enough, the quiche kind of falls apart.

Even if you want a parev quiche, it will work better if there’s something in the custard mix besides egg. I like coconut milk as a parev option but it does lend a bit of taste so you may prefer something else.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes