Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is 30 hrs considered full time?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 8:52 pm
Is 30 hrs considered full time or part time?

Radish

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 8:55 pm
It might depend on the company. My workplace considers 30 hours a full time position.

Einikel

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 8:56 pm
Google says 30+ hours is full time

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 8:57 pm
It depends on the company.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 9:46 pm
In my company, 30 hours per week is considered full-time in terms of benefits (qualifying for health insurance, accruing paid time off...) but it isn't really a full-time job, which would be 40 hours per week.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 9:47 pm
Yes

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 10:14 pm
As others have posted - for what purpose is it being classified.

For many companies, 30 hours is the minimum in order to receive corporate benefits. And so some companies will deliberately not let workers reach that number to avoid having to give them benefits.

However, most full time jobs are 40 hours minimum and that is the default in terms of expectation when a position is advertised as full time. Of course if someone is salaried - and truly in a salaried position rather than hourly - the expectation is generally that the work week is more than 40 hours.

zaq

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 12:17 pm
Not usually. 35 hours is usually the minimum, depending on the employer.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 12:27 pm
zaq wrote:
Not usually. 35 hours is usually the minimum, depending on the employer.

In my personal experience, 35 hours is a New York City thing. When I worked in offices in New York, the work day was 9 to 5 with an hour for lunch which was 7 hours.

When I moved to California the standard work day was 9 to 6 or 8 to 5 with an hour for lunch.

However, in terms of labor laws for hourly employees, overtime doesn’t begin until one has worked 40 hours.

I bring up the difference because it was such a change when I started working in Los Angeles in terms of the work day.

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Jun 12 2020, 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 12:27 pm
Duplicate

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 12:36 pm
When my big girls were little, I reduced my hours (and salary) to a 30 hour work week, which was still considered full-time (so I kept my benefits, like insurance) but got home 2 hours earlier to spend more time with them.

So yes, in my company 30 hours is full time. But not sure if that's legal (which could vary by state) or company policy.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 12:40 pm
Chayalle wrote:
When my big girls were little, I reduced my hours (and salary) to a 30 hour work week, which was still considered full-time (so I kept my benefits, like insurance) but got home 2 hours earlier to spend more time with them.

So yes, in my company 30 hours is full time. But not sure if that's legal (which could vary by state) or company policy.

A company is free to provide benefits as long as they are evenly applied to all workers. So if you got benefits at 30 weeks they would have to provide to other workers who also worked 30 hours. Some companies were considered more generous like Starbucks since they had benefits for workers at 20 hours.

The government only regulates in terms of overtime being payable at 40 hours although some states calculate differently especially with double time pay. For example in California you collect overtime calculated daily instead of weekly. This is Because there are a lot of workers who are hired for a few days on productions but who are asked to work 16 hour days so they get overtime for excess daily hours.

ETA A lot of worker organization is because companies do not want to classify workers as employees to avoid paying benefits. This is true even when these are workers who work on on premises for long periods of time And are indistinguishable from employees of the company except for this classification. Microserf was used for the Microsoft independent contractors in this position.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 1:33 pm
The company I used to work for differentiated at 32.5 hours.
The company I currently work for only offers either Full Time (40 scheduled hours) or Part Time (20 hours).

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 4:15 pm
30 hrs a week seems full-time only to those that have never worked 40 Smile

The company I currently work for only offers either Full Time (40 scheduled hours) or Part Time (20 hours-39 hours).

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 4:58 pm
Where I work now, you need to work a thing least 30 hours to get benefits. I work 30 hours but it’s still considered part time even though it qualifies for the same benefits as a full time employee working 40 or more hours.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 5:07 pm
I work 32 hours and do not consider myself full time. Full time is 40 hours.
30 hour is either a shorter day, leaving 2 hours early, or in my case, 4 days a week.
I am very aware and appreciative that I am not full time and that I have a day off to take care of my "stuff".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics