Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Pediatric neurologist

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 4:06 pm
My 7 year old (who got an ASD diagnosis a few months ago) was evaluated today by a psychologist as part of the process of applying for OPWDD. He was super rough and was like "How could you not have taken him to a pediatric neurologist?" He referred to him and his skills as a gorilla.

My son has been getting speech since he was 3 through the Board of Ed. (He is very language delayed.) We weren't seeing major improvement. Since starting ABA 4 months ago we've seen tremendous improvement. We're putting him into a special ed school this coming school year. He will hopefully get proper speech therapy through pp who deal with ASD children. He will also be getting OT.

Has anyone taken their ASD child to a pediatric neurologist? Did you become any smarter?

Thanks!

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 5:46 pm
This made me laugh because we actually took our son to a pediatric neurologist but he told us he couldn't do much and referred us to a developmental pediatrician who then gave the ASD diagnosis. What I've learned is that you must trust yourself and ONLY work with people who you feel a rapport with. That means that I have bucked the trend and refused to use a man that my local board of ed highly recommended because he came across as harsh and didn't attempt to build trust with my son. That means that if a speech therapist seems to blame me or makes me upset, I won't use her. G-d knows this is hard enough, you want to play on my side you had better be a friggin' team member. You act nice, you talk nice, and you be respectful of me, of my choices, of my child, and of my family. So if this guy is mean or harsh, find someone else. There always is someone else.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 5:53 pm
It was a 1-time evaluation so we won't be seeing him again. But the gorilla comment really knocked me down.

cbsp

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:04 pm
Did he mean a neuro-developmental pediatrician?

I found that the BOE did not know there was a difference between that profession and a neurologist. You might benefit from a neuro-developmental pediatrician, a neurologist might be for something specific (for example, DDs neuro-developmental pediatrician recommended a neurologist due to something irregular that came up on exam that was unrelated to the ASD diagnosis.)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:15 pm
He said that a neuropsychologist would be a waste of time. He recommended a pediatric neurologist.

cbsp

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He said that a neuropsychologist would be a waste of time. He recommended pediatric neurologists.

A neuro-psychologist is different than a neuro-developmental pediatrician.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)