Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Kids (age 6 and 3) wake up at 5:30

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 7:45 am
And I have a newborn so I am up multiple times during the night and would prefer to sleep until 6:30-7.
Any ideas of what I can do to help them stay out of my room and out of trouble? Safe amazing toys maybe?

yidisheh mama

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 7:56 am
At night, prepare something for them to eat and show them where it is. They should know that can eat it in the morning without waking you. Prepare any toys they like, set an alarm for when you want to wake up and tell them they cannot wake you until they hear your alarm ring. (Except for emergencies which are blood, flood, fire). Have a reward system in place; if they don't wake you, they get a sticker when you come out of bed/make a chart with a small prize or treat at the end of the week.

Teomima

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:04 am
My 4 yo has been getting up way too early and making a ruckus, disturbing me and her siblings. So I set up a nightlight on a Shabbat timer to go off at 6 am. She has to stay in bed and quiet until the light goes on. She keeps a little basket with books, coloring books, stickers, and one of those Melissa and Doug water painting books so she can keep herself quietly entertained if she's awake before 6. If she's good about it, she gets a stamp on her stamp/sticker chart. After every 7 stamps, she gets a little prize. Then I up the ante, so for example the first week she was good but would then come wake me up to tell me she stayed in bed till the light went on. I'd rather sleep in a bit later than 6 so the following week I told her when her light turns on she can either stay in bed quietly or go to the living room to play or get herself something to eat, but to only wake me if there was a problem, and only if sure doesn't needlessly disturb me then she gets a stamp.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:33 am
Try room darkening shades. I got in another hour sometimes even more of much needed sleep.
Sounds like one child is waking up the other. Any way to place them in separate rooms?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:40 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Try room darkening shades. I got in another hour sometimes even more of much needed sleep.
Sounds like one child is waking up the other. Any way to place them in separate rooms?

They are in separate rooms. With room darkening shades

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They are in separate rooms. With room darkening shades

Lol! Oh well šŸ˜”... I guess the toys and books will have to do for now.

My 7 year old son has been waking up too early. He used to come into my room until a made some rules. I told him he is NOT allowed to come in my room or try to wake me up unless thereā€™s a big emergency! He complained that heā€™s bored in the morning and doesnā€™t know what to do. I gave him a morning routine to follow on his own.

1- I left out his clothing and told him if he doesnā€™t want to stay in bed anymore he should get dressed

2- he has to make his bed and straighten his room before he goes downstairs

3- he should take a cup of water from the water filter and a yogurt with a straw for his breakfast. (This way he wasnā€™t waking me up for food)

4- he should daven! He really does bH! He sits on the couch with his siddur and says whatever they said in school

5- take out a toy, book or crayons

After that routine we are usually getting up... but this keeps him busy every morning and he knows what to do with himself.
Not sure what to do about your 3 year old.. maybe you can make your 6 year old ā€œin chargeā€ of him for a while..

Hope you get your much needed sleep! The lack of sleep is soooo hard!!

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:12 am
When do they go to bed?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children