Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Sourdough starter in Toronto

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:33 am
Does anyone know where I can get/buy some sourdough starter in Toronto?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:34 am
Curious why this is under weight loss?

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:42 am
You can make it yourself:
three spoons of rye flour, three spoons of water. Let outside for 18 hours.
Feed again (always double what you have): threee spoons of ry flour, three spoons of water. Let outside 18 hours
Feed again: 6 spoons of rye flour and six spoons of water. Let outside for 18 hours.
Feed again: 12 spoons of rye flour and 12 spoons of water. Let outside for 18 yours.

Now you can make dough, with all of it.
(in the beginning, it is good to start with 1/3 rye, 1/3 spelt, 1/3 white flour.)

Once your dough has proofed, take out a handful of dough (one large egg size), put it in a glass jar in the fridge.
Take it out 24h before you want to make new bread.
You should keep up a rhythm of making bread once a week, then you can just use up your sourdough and take the new one from the finished dough.

If you don't make bread, you should feed your dough afer 1 week in the fridge, by doubling it's quantity, usind 1/2 flour, 1/2 water...

There are also flour mixes which have incorporated dry sourdough starters...
I suppose it should not be a problem with kashrut... but ask a shayle...

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:43 am
Kolbo? I'm just guessing, but it's the type of thing he would stock. Is he even opened these days?

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:52 am
Ora in town wrote:
You can make it yourself:
three spoons of rye flour, three spoons of water. Let outside for 18 hours.
Feed again (always double what you have): threee spoons of ry flour, three spoons of water. Let outside 18 hours
Feed again: 6 spoons of rye flour and six spoons of water. Let outside for 18 hours.
Feed again: 12 spoons of rye flour and 12 spoons of water. Let outside for 18 yours.

Now you can make dough, with all of it.
(in the beginning, it is good to start with 1/3 rye, 1/3 spelt, 1/3 white flour.)

Once your dough has proofed, take out a handful of dough (one large egg size), put it in a glass jar in the fridge.
Take it out 24h before you want to make new bread.
You should keep up a rhythm of making bread once a week, then you can just use up your sourdough and take the new one from the finished dough.

If you don't make bread, you should feed your dough afer 1 week in the fridge, by doubling it's quantity, usind 1/2 flour, 1/2 water...

There are also flour mixes which have incorporated dry sourdough starters...
I suppose it should not be a problem with kashrut... but ask a shayle...

What Ora wrote. I've made sourdough starters a few times and it has worked every single time. (They only died when I got too lazy to feed them after a few months).
Warning: during the first few days they can smell horrible, like very old gym socks. But after 5-7 days they switch to pleasant, fruity or vinegary smells and then they are ready to use.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 3:37 am
andrea levy wrote:
Curious why this is under weight loss?

doesn't sourdough aid weight loss?

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 7:10 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
doesn't sourdough aid weight loss?

I’ve never heard that before. I hear people blaming their weight gain on it in the pandemic since people naked so much of it and ate it excessively.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise