Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Making a playroom in the basement need help

gr8 mom

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 12:42 pm
So making a playroom in my basement in my new house iyh... (I know some ppl say ur kids wont play downstairs.... Dont wanna hear!) I just want to hear ideas, inspiration, pics, products of things that you have done, seen etc. So far I have an idea of one section being more of a playroom and the other will have desk/table to do hmwk art.... But love to hear from others and learn from others... Thanks!

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 12:48 pm
How old are your kids? What do they like to play with?

Some ideas: Have a comfy rug, but also an area with a harder floor (or foam) that's more stable for building.

Chalkboard walls are fun, but whiteboard walls work too.

Depending on how many kids and ages, having the work area and the play area in the same room will probably backfire- they'll either be distracted or annoyed at the ones playing.

If you want an art area, make the floor something that either won't show stains or is really easy to clean.

If you have kids of different ages, you may want some sort of fence to distinguish between a little kid area and a big kid area where it's safe to leave legos or games on the floor. Alternatively, have an extra table with comfy chairs for game playing.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 1:26 pm
Carpet is nice. You can get carpet squares so that if there is any damage to a square, you just replace it with extras you have bought. This isn't the kind of carpet that is plush - it would be very low pile industrial type of carpet that is often used in commercial installations.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 1:52 pm
If you want to make a homework/artwork section and have toddlers/babies or will have more babies.... keep that area separate with a half wall or something. (I have a 12 month old. I found a crayon pc in his diaper today, rose petals last week, and a pc of foam from the bar of his sisters bike another time....)

If possible, keep the playroom open to the upstairs, this way the kids can hear you and talk to you and they are more likely to go downstairs to play.....
My house is a bilevel, my playroom is just under my dining room to the back if the house and the stairs are open, my kids enjoy playing downstairs, my neighbor uses that room as a second living room and her playroom is closed off under the firsr floor living room towards the front of the house. Her kids never like playing there......

DREAMING

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 3:38 pm
My kids DO play in the basement.
Good lighting. Couch. Easy storage system. Book shelves.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 3:50 pm
Couch is a must-have.

Locks on the toy closet doors.

I don't like carpet. I have flooring that sweeps and mops easily considering my kids do plenty of A&C there.

Child-size table and chairs.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:30 pm
Mini stage area
Vinyl flooring
Lots of shelves /cabinets/closets for organization
Giant wall toys (google some ideas )

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:45 pm
Storage, storage, STORAGE! Storage will make or break your playroom, and it will save your sanity. If I were to invest in one thing, that would be it. Everything else is negotiable.

Invest in a bunch of wall bin systems from Ikea. You need to have a way to sort all of the toys, or the kids will get overwhelmed and stop playing with them. Insist that one set of toys gets put away before another bin can be taken out.

If everything gets dumped on the floor, put one kid in charge of Lego, one for baby dolls, one for stuffed animals, etc. That makes cleanup less chaotic, when everyone has a specific bin to work on.

Ikea also has these great area rugs that have little villages and roads printed on them, that are the perfect size for Matchbox cars to drive around on. The cars can go visit all the different places on the rug, like the post office, bank, houses, park, school, etc.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:58 pm
I do residential and kitchen design professionally, and design a lot of basements. As part of a basement conversion I just designed this playhouse & reading nook for the alcove created by a stairway:

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:02 pm
Beanbags are great. We use trofast bins but we built our own shelves that fit them, the individual shelving units just ended up looking too messy. The Kallax system is a nicer look imo. I recommend some closed shelves for board games. Unless you and your kids are naturally tidy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics