Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
What's Popular/Trendy Right Now for Friday Night Meal?

funkyfrummom

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 2:10 pm
This is just a general question, that I hope doesn't overlap with others. When I was a newlywed and when my kids were walking but still small we were often the guests at other people's houses. I loved seeing how things (recipes or trends in place settings or decor) would evolve... it might begin with one family, and then a short while later would spread to other houses, and then to out-of-town (I am in Brooklyn), until eventually people would tire of whatever it was would fade away. There was always a stage where things would start to have a bunch of variations before people suddenly lost interest. For example, I remember when tomato dip first started to become popular...sparlik...tricolor kugels, etc. Smile

Our family doesn't go out anymore so I feel a little out of the loop. Would people be willing to share what community they are from and what is currently popular there? I am both looking for new ideas, and just generally curious.

chaya678

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 2:19 pm
I’m from Brooklyn. I don’t go out much but what’s really on these days is sour dough challa and dips. Garlic Confit goes really well with the bread.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 2:41 pm
No ones going out any more, so without guests people are resorting go the basics in their own house.

Or else the teenage children are ransacking recipe books and the internet to produce the most gourmet meals possible because they are so bored.

Ora in town

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 5:36 pm
Why would you ask about trends and fashions?

Why not about individual menues?

I use a clay pot, and it really makes friday evening menu easy, because you basically just throw everthing in, put it in the oven and forget it till it's time to serve. The whole chicken comes out delicious.

I have an oven with timer, so you can just stop the oven around the time you plan to eat your main course, and calculate backwards from then when you have to put it in...

Here is an example of a receipe... not necessarily exactly what I do, but just as an example...

https://www.recipetips.com/rec.....n.asp

Ora in town

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 5:41 pm
chaya678 wrote:
I’m from Brooklyn. I don’t go out much but what’s really on these days is sour dough challa and dips. Garlic Confit goes really well with the bread.

Sour dough with rye flour?or white flour?
With or without yeast?

anonymrs

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 9:50 pm
Ora in town wrote:
Sour dough with rye flour?or white flour?
With or without yeast?

Sour dough is without yeast. I make sourdough challah with white spelt flour. I don't know what others do though.

chaya678

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 9:57 pm
I buy

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 10:09 pm
We eat meat and vegetables. We aren’t trendy. We are healthy.

erm

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 10:17 pm
I have seen number of charcuterie platters for shabbos lunch.

esther11

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 10:17 pm
I agree with sour dough bread, dips, and garlic confit. I’d also add sushi salad.

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:11 am
anonymrs wrote:
Sour dough is without yeast. I make sourdough challah with white spelt flour. I don't know what others do though.

I just wanted to know whether you are talking about the real thing or about some US version of sourdough. (the receipes I read on this forum so far were with yeast and sourdough)

because I make bread with sourdough (1/3 rye,1/3 spelt, 1/3 white flour, without yeast), but I don't see how you could braid it into challes.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 7:27 am
You don't make sourdough into braids but it is bread and you can use it as hamotzei.

I tried sourdough starter but gave up. Its a long long process. Maybe I will try again.

I do this often for friday night and it is a great rustic bread. https://ourbestbites.com/easy-.....read/

Sourdough is made with yeast, its a natural yeast.

MiriFr

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:06 am
I make sourdough with rye. It's hard to make it with regular white flour because it doesn't feed the starter as well. The starter cultivates it's own yeast, so you do not put in any store bought yeast at any point in the bread-making.
For trendy foods try looking in millennial kosher! My SIL loves to make the gefilte fish pizza

anonymrs

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:51 am
Ora in town wrote:
I just wanted to know whether you are talking about the real thing or about some US version of sourdough. (the receipes I read on this forum so far were with yeast and sourdough)

because I make bread with sourdough (1/3 rye,1/3 spelt, 1/3 white flour, without yeast), but I don't see how you could braid it into challes.

My starter is made with white flour and water. My challah is made from white spelt flour, water, salt, starter, honey, and oil.
It's sticky and hard to work with and the braid doesn't hold so well, but I do braid it.

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:57 am
Raisin wrote:
You don't make sourdough into braids but it is bread and you can use it as hamotzei.

I tried sourdough starter but gave up. Its a long long process. Maybe I will try again.

I do this often for friday night and it is a great rustic bread. https://ourbestbites.com/easy-.....read/

Sourdough is made with yeast, its a natural yeast.

Oh, I see...

So people serve sourdough bread, but call it challes...

Because I eat lots of sourdough bread as "regular bread" during the week...
But in my view it would not qualify as "challes"...
Because challes used to be the fine, white flour...

So it's interesting to learn that values were kind of reversed now...

As far as having a sourdough: it goes very well when you make bread every week... that's kind of the rhythm you have to keep up so that it's easy... I use up all the sourdough every week and take a piece the size of an egg out of the ready dough, and keep in the fridge for next week.And I take it out about 24h before I want to make bread... that's really easy...

That's the way my bubby used to do it...

And I find it more hygienic and less cumbersome then parting the sourdough and feeding it...

Last edited by Ora in town on Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:59 am
MiriFr wrote:
I make sourdough with rye. It's hard to make it with regular white flour because it doesn't feed the starter as well. The starter cultivates it's own yeast, so you do not put in any store bought yeast at any point in the bread-making.
For trendy foods try looking in millennial kosher! My SIL loves to make the gefilte fish pizza

And you braid it for challes?

MiriFr

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 6:26 pm
Ora in town wrote:
And you braid it for challes?

No
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus