Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Will you take the flu shot this coming winter?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:29 pm
I was just reading in the news that demand for the flu vaccine has soared, with countries hoping to vaccinate large swathes of the population to ease pressure on health services when flu season coincides with the expected arrival of a second coronavirus wave in the winter.

I don't usually bother with the flu shot. Do you think there's extra reason to do it this year because of coronavirus?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:32 pm
Yes. I would definitely get the flu shot. I get it every year. A few years ago I caught a bad case of the flu and had to get IV twice from the ER/urgent care because I was so dehydrated & sick.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:35 pm
I always get and will certainly this year (pregnant)

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:38 pm
I just turned 55, and I will definitely make sure I don't miss the window for a flu shot this time.

If it's true that you can catch the Corona virus twice, that will really lower your immune system. If you got the seasonal flu on top of that, it would be devastating.

As a matter of fact, I'll probably still wear a mask while on public transportation, even if the restrictions are lifted.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:42 pm
Yes, and I usually don't. Because if it will lessen the chance of getting the flu or make it milder, that will be less time required to quarantine in case it's something else.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:47 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
I always get and will certainly this year (pregnant)

Bravo! Your baby really needs those 10-20 doses of that flu shot Thumbs Up

rae

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:59 pm
Many People who got the flu shot Tested positive falsely for corona. I have never gotten it and def don’t plan on getting it this year. They usually don’t get the strain right anyway. Why would you purposely weaken your immune system.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:05 pm
Chances are that if a vaccine will be ready, they may combine it with the flu shot, like they did with the H1N1 virus. The yearly flu shots currently have strains of flu a, flu b and H1N1 virus. And don't be surprised that it becomes mandatory for all school aged children, not only preschool

Amarante

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:05 pm
Of course. I get it every year. Flu is significantly more preventable with the vaccine.

I realize it's anecdotal but I get the flu shot every year and have never had a bad reaction nor have I gotten the flu. And none of my friends and families who regularly get vaccinated have had bad reactions or have gotten the flu. I realize this is not a scientific study but there is nothing in my experience of what I have read on the subject that would make me NOT get the vaccine.

If one gets the flu, one's immunity would be lowered and one would have pre-existing lung issues so it would probably be more likely to be catastrophic if one got Covid19.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:29 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Bravo! Your baby really needs those 10-20 doses of that flu shot Thumbs Up

I’m assuming that was sarcasm but my doctor and I agree that a baby being born. During flu season needs the shot in uterine since she cant get it at birth. But you’re certainly free to make your own decision for yourself and your children

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:34 pm
my sister under 50 got the flu shot and the flu

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:37 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
I’m assuming that was sarcasm but my doctor and I agree that a baby being born. During flu season needs the shot in uterine since she cant get it at birth. But you’re certainly free to make your own decision for yourself and your children

So can you please explain how it's safe for a baby in utero and not at birth? How is it safe for a few month old baby who was born at normal gestation and for a preemie at 4m old who might be same 'age' as a 1m old?
As you can see, the chests are not based on science. They should not be a one size fits all!
Did you know that the shot is the same for every age? Are everyone's immune systems equivalent?
Why a new one every year? How can they guess and make a safe and effective vaccine before the flu arises?
Maybe it's about time we realize that viruses and all come in courses. If it's yearly, then we need to strengthen our overall immune system and health to avoid getting sick with anything. Why stay blind and just think flu vaccine is a savior!

icebreaker

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 5:55 pm
No clue yet. I haven’t gotten the flu shot in years.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 6:01 pm
Of course.

Stars

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 6:05 pm
No! We never do, our doctor doesn't recommend it. This year the flu was especially tough and she said we should get the shot. Well guess what, we all got a heavy dose of the flu, the exact strain the shot was supposed to be for. Arm pain for a week and for what?

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 6:12 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
So can you please explain how it's safe for a baby in utero and not at birth? How is it safe for a few month old baby who was born at normal gestation and for a preemie at 4m old who might be same 'age' as a 1m old?
As you can see, the chests are not based on science. They should not be a one size fits all!
Did you know that the shot is the same for every age? Are everyone's immune systems equivalent?
Why a new one every year? How can they guess and make a safe and effective vaccine before the flu arises?
Maybe it's about time we realize that viruses and all come in courses. If it's yearly, then we need to strengthen our overall immune system and health to avoid getting sick with anything. Why stay blind and just think flu vaccine is a savior!

A baby in utero is not given a vaccine.. They get the antibodies from the mother's uterus...

sky

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 6:17 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
my sister under 50 got the flu shot and the flu

No one says you can’t get the flu.
Those that do get the flu don’t have it as severe and are less likely to die orhavw life long precautions.

To me if those that get the flu after the flu shot don’t die then it works.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 6:19 pm
I am a satisfied customer and hope to get one this fall.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 7:00 pm
based on what I know right now...no.
havent ever and haven't seen a new reason that would indicate I should -- for me based on my personal situation
wishing everyone abundant health
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics