Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Pros and Cons of Opening a Playgroup

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:27 pm
There is a need for a 2 yr old playgroup in my area. Any Morahs here want to share your experience with running a playgroup? The good, the bad, the everything. (It would be 12 kids, full time, with an assistant).

It's something I would be very good at and think I want to do but I want to make sure I know what I'm in for...

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:33 pm
I'll be following.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:12 pm
Pros:
Stay at home
Choose your rate
Toddlers can play with your young children, if you have
Can be part or full time
Kids mainly entertain themselves

Cons:
Chasing down parents for payment (word to the wise-- do not charge by the hour. You WILL be taken advantage of and used as a drop-in babysitting service. Better to have a weekly rate)
Sick kids
Sometimes herding kids inside and outside can be a hassle e.g. flight of stairs

Tips:
Set up eating spaces, have enough mini chairs for each child, place a small trash bin nearby, line up all water bottles/lunch boxes/shoes/jackets together, have a changing station ready with each kid's supplies in a nearby box/drawer, teach kids cue words/phrases to clean up/wipe tables/etc, block off places or cabinets you don't want them in, and if you have stairs, make sure the door is locked or that there is a baby gate.

Also, have each parent leave wipes and diapers if appropriate as well as changes of clothes. And instead of buying all of your own books and games, borrow them from the parents and cycle them every few weeks so the kids don't get bored (although you may want to keep some standard toys around like duplos or baby dolls). If you can, multiples, multiples, multiples. If you have 3 kids, have 3 dolls... Even if there is a boy!

By the way, wasn't sure if this is a pro or a con, but they WILL begin to imitate you after a a while. Don't be surprised if they grab your nursing cover and pretend to feed their dolls if they see you nursing your infant, etc. It can be really fun and cute but definitely can make you feel self conscious at times. Lol

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:16 pm
Fun and intense nonstop work!
Some parents are a pleasure to deal with...some are not!
Some years are great, some years are murder!
2 yrs old are not eligible for special ed program yet so if they have issues it makes the playgroup's morah job super hard! (I've had a playgroup for over 20 yrs and it happened quite a few times!)
It's home based with all the advantages that comes with it but contrary to popular belief it's real work, not "just playgroup" !
If you need to take off, the responsibility to find a substitute is on you and it can be really hard!
It's a delicious age, if you like kids, go for it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics