Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Grommets not coming out on their own. HELP

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:56 pm
Hi. I'm hoping to get some advice over her. My 8 year old son had grommets inserted over 4 years ago. Oddly enough they didn't fall out on their own.
He's not my first child with grommets as ENT stuff sort of runs in the family but with the others they fell out themselves - sometimes without the child even noticing.
So now we were referred and were suppose to have an appointment to see to it but of course it was canceled.
So, is there anything I could do to make them come out on their own?
They are visible when looking in his ear and are really not far in. Of course I would never insert anything into his ear, I'm just wondering if there are any drops etc. to help.
If you are a health professional in this field or have had such experience please reply.
Thanks

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:23 pm
hi
sorry I cant help, but are you sure they are meant to come out?
my son is 6 and had them done 3 years ago and theyr also not out.
I seem to recall the ENT saying they dont usually fall out but they can...? but I cant really remember...
do they def need to fall out??

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:37 pm
Thanks for replying.
Was told that it should fall out on their own and GP several months ago was surprised that they didn't and referred us because of it.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:38 pm
Thanks for replying.
Was told that it should fall out on their own and GP several months ago was surprised that they didn't and referred us because of it.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi. I'm hoping to get some advice over her. My 8 year old son had grommets inserted over 4 years ago. Oddly enough they didn't fall out on their own.
He's not my first child with grommets as ENT stuff sort of runs in the family but with the others they fell out themselves - sometimes without the child even noticing.
So now we were referred and were suppose to have an appointment to see to it but of course it was canceled.
So, is there anything I could do to make them come out on their own?
They are visible when looking in his ear and are really not far in. Of course I would never insert anything into his ear, I'm just wondering if there are any drops etc. to help.
If you are a health professional in this field or have had such experience please reply.
Thanks

I have such experience, but I wouldn't recommend you follow unprofessional advice without confirming it with your doctor.

I've had a grommet that got stuck. The ENT had the child tip his head to one side, poured in some fluid (think it was saline), then had the child tip his head back the other way. It came out with the flow.

Perhaps run it by your MD and see if its ok for you to try on your own?

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:54 pm
are you in the USA?
im in England.
So theyr definitely meant to come out?
when? should I be contacting my gp too?

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:56 pm
sorry, I dont understand, how would you know if theyv fallen out??

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:01 pm
- Thanks for warning - I wouldn't dare try anything risky. Was thinking along the lines of olive oil.
- I'm in England too. Doctor said that they're supposed to come out.
- With my daughter, she felt pressure and I actually saw one come out.
At the moment I could see both his grommets about a millimetre or two into his ear. They're that close but not budging.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:09 pm
I've had 3 kids with grommets inserted into both ears. They all fell out on their own thankfully within 10-24 months . According to the NHS it should take 6-12 months.

Once I noticed it had come out after swiming/jumping in the water alot. Another sons we found floating in the bath. The others (4 grommets) we didnt realise when they'd fallen out but ENT said they've gone at check up appointment.

I'm in the UK too but went private for the operation.

It's possible that the grommet has been pushed out of the eardrum but it's sitting in the ear canal stuck to the wax.

Don't be concerned, there's no immediate worry. Request an appointment and the consultant will take care of you.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:28 pm
Are grommets the same thing as tubes ?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:38 pm
yes grommets are tubes. Guess that's why British people replied...
Makes sense they're stuck in wax. Thanks for reassurance

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 9:04 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Are grommets the same thing as tubes ?

Yes and figured the OP must be British Smile (or Australian. maybe more places refer to them as grommets, but so far I've only heard natives of above say grommets Smile )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics