Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Homeschooling a 3 yo under boe?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 1:37 am
I’m not sure what the right term would be and how to go about this.
Basically, my 3 yo is immunocompromised and I don’t think will be able to go to school next year.
I work and won’t be able to “teach” child. I wish dc can have the social interaction, but am too concerned...
Child is currently in EI with OT, PT, Sp services. I don’t know if dc will be approved for a Seit or para, but want to know what to ask for at cpse meeting and how to set up a homeschooling plan?
(In NYS for reference, can share location in pm more more specific advice)
Any advice?
Tia!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 8:53 am
Bump

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 8:57 am
I think the tricky thing is that school is NYC is not mandated for 3 year olds. It’s only mandated for 4 + (kindergarten) some districts have 3k programs but its not yet universal

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:26 pm
Bump!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:35 pm
forgetit wrote:
I don't think any states require kids that age to receive an education.
Is your question about the legal homeschool aspect, or about how to manage technicalities? Or about the therapy aspect. Maybe if you're clearer on your question you can get more helpful responses.

Thanks. not on the legal aspect. more on will I be able to get the therapy services my child requires to be done in the home. Would the BOE provide a teacher to come for a few hours a week etc.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. not on the legal aspect. more on will I be able to get the therapy services my child requires to be done in the home. Would the BOE provide a teacher to come for a few hours a week etc.

IME they only provide home instruction (which is different than home schooling) for K and up (age 4 +)

Ahuva's Mommy

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:43 pm
SEIT can be done at home, if there is reason why the child is not in school.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 12:37 am
Are you in Brooklyn? Kapayim has a small playgroup for children with suppressed immune systems. Or at least they had not too long ago. Call them and find out. Or find out about getting a health Para.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 1:54 am
Yeled V Yalda had a program for educational home visits for children with immune compromised

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:29 am
I know, Brooklyn has all these awesome options...
Alas this is not in NYC, just NYS...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:42 am
Ahuva's Mommy wrote:
SEIT can be done at home, if there is reason why the child is not in school.

So would a letter from a dr saying why this child can’t attend school help?

banana123

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:53 am
You don't need to homeschool a 3yo. Play is enough. In day-to-day life you can point out colors, shapes, big/medium/small. Teach (aka talk about) what you want regarding chagim, parsha. Read lots of books. Let your child play with sand, plastelina, paint, water, and in general get messy.

There's no need for more than that at this age.

The therapies are a different story, make sure your child is getting what s/he needs.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 3:00 am
banana123 wrote:
You don't need to homeschool a 3yo. Play is enough. In day-to-day life you can point out colors, shapes, big/medium/small. Teach (aka talk about) what you want regarding chagim, parsha. Read lots of books. Let your child play with sand, plastelina, paint, water, and in general get messy.

There's no need for more than that at this age.

The therapies are a different story, make sure your child is getting what s/he needs.

You’re technically right, but since I work I do need someone to be with the kid during the day to help facilitate the play etc. (I work from home so it’s not as much babysitting) also, the kid really needs to have a social life, but unfortunately can’t at this point so would be nice for dc to see someone other than me. Someone mentioned a para upthread- would that be approved for home?

banana123

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 3:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You’re technically right, but since I work I do need someone to be with the kid during the day to help facilitate the play etc. (I work from home so it’s not as much babysitting) also, the kid really needs to have a social life, but unfortunately can’t at this point so would be nice for dc to see someone other than me. Someone mentioned a para upthread- would that be approved for home?

No - you need someone to make sure the child stays safe. You don't need to facilitate the play, your child is capable of playing independently and exploring independently, you just need to supervise.

For the messy stuff, just don't take it out during the hours you work. DC can see other children either at playdates that you organize with families you trust, or at parks if you feel comfortable with that. If DC isn't an only child, siblings are enough at this age. Books you can read during breaks. When your child comes up to you with something, describe it: "You have yellow plastelina on a big green knife, and you have a little green knife on the floor. Pick up the little green knife." Chagim, parsha, you can talk while you cook for Shabbat, eat supper, or at the Shabbat table.

I assume you have toys at home - DC can play freely with them, "read" him/herself a book, color, etc. Don't worry, don't stress. You'll be fine.

There is this push today to entertain kids, keep them occupied, facilitate play, do arts and crafts and activities and teach etc. etc...kids gain so much more by learning to occupy themselves and having the freedom to explore and discover safely. Your child knows you're there, you're a safe "anchor" and if there's a need you'll get up or offer a hug or whatever is needed. Assuming you are more involved after you finish your work, your presence and supervision during free play is more than enough at this stage.

The only thing you will need to do is learn to ignore the mess. DC will make a mess playing while you work and supervise. You'll deal with it when you're finished working, or after DC goes to bed.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 3:29 am
banana123 wrote:
No - you need someone to make sure the child stays safe. You don't need to facilitate the play, your child is capable of playing independently and exploring independently, you just need to supervise.

For the messy stuff, just don't take it out during the hours you work. DC can see other children either at playdates that you organize with families you trust, or at parks if you feel comfortable with that. If DC isn't an only child, siblings are enough at this age. Books you can read during breaks. When your child comes up to you with something, describe it: "You have yellow plastelina on a big green knife, and you have a little green knife on the floor. Pick up the little green knife." Chagim, parsha, you can talk while you cook for Shabbat, eat supper, or at the Shabbat table.

I assume you have toys at home - DC can play freely with them, "read" him/herself a book, color, etc. Don't worry, don't stress. You'll be fine.

There is this push today to entertain kids, keep them occupied, facilitate play, do arts and crafts and activities and teach etc. etc...kids gain so much more by learning to occupy themselves and having the freedom to explore and discover safely. Your child knows you're there, you're a safe "anchor" and if there's a need you'll get up or offer a hug or whatever is needed. Assuming you are more involved after you finish your work, your presence and supervision during free play is more than enough at this stage.

The only thing you will need to do is learn to ignore the mess. DC will make a mess playing while you work and supervise. You'll deal with it when you're finished working, or after DC goes to bed.
this is all nice and well, but you’re talking about a kid that is in/out of hospital and used to always having an adult on top of him and everyone at his beck & call.
And because of hospitalizations used to plenty of screen time which I’m afraid he’ll default too if he won’t be physically/cognitively stimulated. Being that I’ll need the quiet for work I’ll probably lose the fight...

banana123

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 3:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
this is all nice and well, but you’re talking about a kid that is in/out of hospital and used to always having an adult on top of him and everyone at his beck & call.
And because of hospitalizations used to plenty of screen time which I’m afraid he’ll default too if he won’t be physically/cognitively stimulated. Being that I’ll need the quiet for work I’ll probably lose the fight...

Hugs. I think there will be a very tough transition period but if you can hold out (the tablet's battery is dead, where's the charger? And have him look for the charger - don't find it, if he can't find it then "oh no, we'll look for it together later" and then of course after you finish working you find it, but "it has to charge, maybe we can use it tomorrow" and then maybe your DH can hide it so that you can honestly say "I don't know where it is") for a couple days to a week I think you will see a change for the better.
Entertaining yourself is a skill kids are born with and often forget, but can re-learn. It will be tough on both of you but if you can make it through, I think you'll be happy you stuck it out.

Can you work part-time/ less hours for a week or so, so that you have a bit of time with more flexibility?

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 4:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m not sure what the right term would be and how to go about this.
Basically, my 3 yo is immunocompromised and I don’t think will be able to go to school next year.
I work and won’t be able to “teach” child. I wish dc can have the social interaction, but am too concerned...
Child is currently in EI with OT, PT, Sp services. I don’t know if dc will be approved for a Seit or para, but want to know what to ask for at cpse meeting and how to set up a homeschooling plan?
(In NYS for reference, can share location in pm more more specific advice)
Any advice?
Tia!
[quote]

In same situation now. Do you have any advice? How did it work out in your situation?

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:41 am
Can you get Medicaid waiver for child? Ask in hospital

Child would be entitled to respite hours and or a home health aide

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 9:02 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Can you get Medicaid waiver for child? Ask in hospital

Child would be entitled to respite hours and or a home health aide

Thanks!
Were you able to get in home OT, PT, Speech ? DD is approved for next year but her current therapists refuse to continue. They say the BOE pays much less than EI. How did that work out in your case?

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 9:03 am
I sympathize with your situation.

However I don't understand how having a person come to your home would help in terms of what your real needs are since the "professional" would only be there for minimal hours anyway.

Perhaps I am missing something but why not hire a babysitter who will "play" with the child for several hours during the day to provide the type of "adult" interaction you want.

As others have stated, much of what is preparation for a toddler is generally instinctively done by good parents. They talk to the kid - point out colors, numbers, names of objects; read to the kid and point out words and letters as they read. They play with things like blocks and other "toys" which provide a learning experience in terms of fitting shapes together and grouping colors or whatever.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics