Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Refunds for seminary in EY
Previous  1  2

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 3:39 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
So I have a unique situation. I raised money to send the daughter of a relative to seminary. Was situation where the girl needed to get out of a very dysfunctional family situation.

Seminary agreed to a very reduced price for this girl.

We raised 70% of that price. The rest should have come from Masa, but it turned out, the family is so dysfunctional, they haven't filed taxes for the past few years. So she couldn't get Masa (because they look at income. Family is very low income but there was nothing to show.)

So now we don't know what to do. I don't really have the 30% balance. The family has no money. And some of the people who were giving maaser money for this situation have had financial losses lately. And the girl is back home (in not an easy situation.) Should the people be asked to contribute more money now when the girl isn't even there. The original intent of their giving the money was to give to her. Now it's like giving to the seminary.

Seminary was technically paid thru March, when girl came home. They haven't said anything so far. Not sure how this will play out.

I am certainly not a poisek for this very complicated shaila

My husband who knows a drop of a drop of CM
Thinks that the Sem should have a heart and let it go
They got 70% and the girl isnt even there

If the Sem is so poor that they cant afford to do that, perhaps they really arent in a position to be in the Sem business in the first place

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 4:08 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Just got an email from my DDs Sem that they are refunding money, as while they have expenses (classes are being taught in person, and also being held over Zoom -25% of the girls are still there). They have cancelled the shabbatons and trips and are returning what they can as they understand that many of us have financial needs.

That’s so nice! Can I ask which seminary this is?

cbsp

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 4:52 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
So I have a unique situation. I raised money to send the daughter of a relative to seminary. Was situation where the girl needed to get out of a very dysfunctional family situation.

Seminary agreed to a very reduced price for this girl.

We raised 70% of that price. The rest should have come from Masa, but it turned out, the family is so dysfunctional, they haven't filed taxes for the past few years. So she couldn't get Masa (because they look at income. Family is very low income but there was nothing to show.)

So now we don't know what to do. I don't really have the 30% balance. The family has no money. And some of the people who were giving maaser money for this situation have had financial losses lately. And the girl is back home (in not an easy situation.) Should the people be asked to contribute more money now when the girl isn't even there. The original intent of their giving the money was to give to her. Now it's like giving to the seminary.

Seminary was technically paid thru March, when girl came home. They haven't said anything so far. Not sure how this will play out.

Kol Hakavod to you.

I think you should ask a shaylah.

Having said that :

The psak I read in one of the publications over yontif differentiated between monies paid and monies still owed. It seems that halachah may not force monies to be reimbursed but on the flip side, can't force monies owed to be paid in the case where services can not be delivered through no fault of either party. (I believe the service in question was sleep away camp.) The ultimate recommendation was to come to some sort of compromise...

amother
Black

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 7:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That’s so nice! Can I ask which seminary this is?

Machon Maayan.
I cannot say enough wonderful things about the school or my DD's (2/3rds) year.

Wish I could go next year-maybe with the right shaital, facelift, clothes... I can pass for 18😉.

banana123

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 5:38 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
How are u shedding light on something u admit to know nothing about?

Most seminaries have their own kitchens/ cooks. While they MIGHT be paying the cooks still. They most definitely should be able to stop the food orders.

Phone and insurance plans are paid by students and or staff (not their building or business insurance etc)

They definitely still have some costs. Parents are entitled to transparency if they need to pay- Are teachers still getting paid? Support and office staff?

And btw not all are having Zoom classes either.

We have spoken to teachers and administrators, "stam" conversations in normal times, about how things worked. Suggested various things that might help, and so on. I don't want to get into it.

Like I said I'm not in the business myself and don't know all the ins and outs, but I do have a general idea of how some of the stuff works.

Phone plans you may be right, insurance plans are usually split somehow. And I did say that food itself they are probably saving money on, even if they are still bound by a contract with a catering company (depends on the size of the seminary).

All I'm saying is that their costs are far from zero. It's not fair to pretend like they are getting rich off the parents' backs while giving nothing in return.

banana123

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 5:45 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
The passive threat that be prepared that ABC wont be able to reopen is quite inappropriate, especially during this time.

Institutions should be trying to address the financial concerns at the moment, and not use any passive form of coercion to people struggling with the CV ramifications.

I'm not making a passive threat. I can't, I don't have the power to make such a threat. I don't run a seminary.

I'm just saying that there is a very, very, very real chance that seminaries will fold if too many parents demand their money pack.

Many businesses are going to fold. Like I saw someone else wrote (not sure where) - any place that you want to see reopen next year, continue paying this year if you can. That was referring to any business. It is too correct, unfortunately.

And I can't threaten - I'm not in a position to threaten you. I don't run a school, seminary, or any other educational institution, nor do I work in any of them, nor do I have any control over what remains open and what doesn't.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 1:22 pm
cbsp wrote:
Kol Hakavod to you.

I think you should ask a shaylah.

Having said that :

The psak I read in one of the publications over yontif differentiated between monies paid and monies still owed. It seems that halachah may not force monies to be reimbursed but on the flip side, can't force monies owed to be paid in the case where services can not be delivered through no fault of either party. (I believe the service in question was sleep away camp.) The ultimate recommendation was to come to some sort of compromise...

can someone tell me which magazine it was that published the psak? (mishpacha/ami?)and maybe which date or even better has a copy they can post pls?

Simple1

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 1:26 pm
banana123 wrote:
I'm not making a passive threat. I can't, I don't have the power to make such a threat. I don't run a seminary.

I'm just saying that there is a very, very, very real chance that seminaries will fold if too many parents demand their money pack.

Many businesses are going to fold. Like I saw someone else wrote (not sure where) - any place that you want to see reopen next year, continue paying this year if you can. That was referring to any business. It is too correct, unfortunately.

And I can't threaten - I'm not in a position to threaten you. I don't run a school, seminary, or any other educational institution, nor do I work in any of them, nor do I have any control over what remains open and what doesn't.

I don't see it as a concern for the parents, as seminary is a one-year program and will not be applicable next year for their daughters.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 1:34 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I don't see it as a concern for the parents, as seminary is a one-year program and will not be applicable next year for their daughters.

Some parents have more than one daughter.

And some seminaries offer a Shana Bet programme.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 1:36 pm
Thank you so much to those who responded to the unique situation I posted about, and Amen to your really nice Brachos.

We were in contact with the seminary and they reduced the outstanding balance slightly. We are choosing to try and send the remaining balance.

May it be a zchut for this girl and Hashem should help her in her future. The year was really very successful for her. I sense that she's in a good place emotionally for having been in a positive environment for those months.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 7:50 pm
Still fighting with DDs seminary to get a prorated refund. But it seems like aside from Machon Maayan seminaries either gave back nothing or not under $1k and we should probably just give up.
Has anyone had a different experience?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics