Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Constipation remedies

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:46 am
My poor 9m baby is so constipated! His ped said that it's normal at this age because of growth spurts, but it's been going on for 2 weeks! He wakes up in middle of the night in agony, super fussy and can't get comfortable.
I massage his stomach, do bicycle legs, give him fibery fruits and veggies and no white starches. This is all per the pediatrician's recommendation. Nothing seems to help him. He pushes and strains all day long, maybe having 1 tiny BM a day. Like tiny, hard, dry, and very dark.
What else can I try?

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My poor 9m baby is so constipated! His ped said that it's normal at this age because of growth spurts, but it's been going on for 2 weeks! He wakes up in middle of the night in agony, super fussy and can't get comfortable.
I massage his stomach, do bicycle legs, give him fibery fruits and veggies and no white starches. This is all per the pediatrician's recommendation. Nothing seems to help him. He pushes and strains all day long, maybe having 1 tiny BM a day. Like tiny, hard, dry, and very dark.
What else can I try?

I gave my child a ready made puree „plums and bears“ and it used to work great. Also more water

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:24 am
Is he impacted? You may need to glove up and get in there and remove some of the backed up stool.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:30 am
also there are special suppositories for babies, does your pediatrician approve of that?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:31 am
I started giving half an ounce of prune juice each morning and afternoon. It seems to be helping a lot. I mix it into oatmeal in the afternoon and she loves it.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What else can I try?

Avoid constipating products (rice, banana, white bread, white noodles, white flour)
Give fresh fruit & veggies: apples (could also be apple sauce, very health for pectin), water melon, cucumber...

chili-n-cholent

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:46 am
a bottle with brown sugar and water has worked wonders for me, I don't know what it does but it really loosened my baby up in a few hours, just get ready for the waterworks that come...

tichellady

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:06 am
Is he drinking water or apple juice

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 1:10 pm
My babies all got severly constipated when teething. We did loads of prune juice. No white flour or dairy. Sometimes I had to stick my finger up there with vaseline to get it to come.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 1:40 pm
Thanks I tried all of these already.
I just got back from Target with Mommy's Bliss constipation ease. Hoping for the best

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:02 pm
I had the same story with my baby. He had constipation from hell. I started taking magnesium citrate and never had a problem again.

Worked like magic. But I was nursing so the baby received it that way.

Many times constipation is a magnesium deficiency.

Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:03 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I had the same story with my baby. He had constipation from hell. I started taking magnesium citrate and never had a problem again.

Worked like magic. But I was nursing so the baby received it that way.

Many times constipation is a magnesium deficiency.

Good luck!

Ill try that if Mommy's Bliss doesn't work! Thanks a ton

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ill try that if Mommy's Bliss doesn't work! Thanks a ton

Infant enemas work instantly....

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:33 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:

But that's brutal...
try milder remedies first...

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:35 pm
Ora in town wrote:
But that's brutal...
try milder remedies first...

Its not brutal. on the contrary. Have you ever tried it? On yourself?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:36 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:

I feel bad sticking things up him! I tried a vaselined q-tip and he looked so startled and confused and started to cry. My poor sheify

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I feel bad sticking things up him! I tried a vaselined q-tip and he looked so startled and confused and started to cry. My poor sheify

Its quite a different feel than q-tips. If lubricated well, its very soothing. Also, babys position matters. I find baby over lap with fee hanging down is best.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 3:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It sounds like he’s suffering more NOW over a prolonged period than he would in the few minutes it takes to do an enema
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics