Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Discussion on Nach Yomi
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 9:02 pm
Is anyone else still doing Nach Yomi? Today's perek is really illuminating. I'm listening to Rabbi Rosner and the reason why Shaul was punished for the Givonim is because he created a culture where the Givonim were treated like lesser class and were starving and struggling. I think it's so interesting that famine was caused in the land by the way we treated non-Jews.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 12:23 am
I'm still hanging on with nach yomi -just a little behind due to recent events
Hopefully I'll be back on track soon.
Wishing everyone menuchas hanefesh and the ability to catch up and keep up.

imorethanamother

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 1:13 am
It was amazing, you guys! The shiras Dovid Perek was read on the same day it was to be reviewed in Nach Yomi! Anyone catch that??

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 5:10 pm
I feel like I'm the only one talking here, but I find it fascinating that yesterday we learned that Shlomo allowed Shimi be Geira to live, as long as he only stayed in Jerusalem. He understood human nature, and that even though Jerusalem is huge, the idea that he couldn't leave would be too much for him. No one can handle being confined for long. Sure enough, he left, and that was it for him.

Me, whenever I read articles about needing to be locked down for a year or more, I think I'm going to run outside and start screaming.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 6:15 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
... even though Jerusalem is huge ...

Jerusalem at the time of Shlomo was quite a lot smaller than it is today. I've found various figures for the size then in two digits of acres. None was as high as 100 acres, and that's less half a square kilometer, today the city is 125 square km.

hotzenplotz

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 6:17 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
I feel like I'm the only one talking here, but I find it fascinating that yesterday we learned that Shlomo allowed Shimi be Geira to live, as long as he only stayed in Jerusalem. He understood human nature, and that even though Jerusalem is huge, the idea that he couldn't leave would be too much for him. No one can handle being confined for long. Sure enough, he left, and that was it for him.

Me, whenever I read articles about needing to be locked down for a year or more, I think I'm going to run outside and start screaming.

It is fascinating that often when we sit down to learn something it was meant min hashamayim for the learner's situation!!

today's lesson is frightening because human nature is sometimes "if I cant have something, the other person should also not have it."
Is that the reason why "farginning"is the epitome of good middos?

hotzenplotz

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 6:20 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Jerusalem at the time of Shlomo was quite a lot smaller than it is today. I've found various figures for the size then in two digits of acres. None was as high as 100 acres, and that's less half a square kilometer, today the city is 125 square km.

wow! I would love to read up on it since I am fascinated with the original cities of the land of Israel in times of Yehosuha, Shoftim and first and second bais Hamikdash. Can you elaborate?

It is a fascinating subject since I've read that Cyprus, huge parts of Syria some of Turkey will belong to Eretz Yisrael............

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 11:03 am
Is anyone else finding nach yomi really depressing right now? There's something about going through these perakim this quickly that compounds how divided and horrible it all was, over and over and over.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 12:24 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Is anyone else finding nach yomi really depressing right now? There's something about going through these perakim this quickly that compounds how divided and horrible it all was, over and over and over.

Yes! And it's not like I didn't learn it before. Maybe I'm more sensitive now than when I was in high school? But there were some shining moments.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:17 pm
I meant to post this 2 days ago. Sunday and Monday were Yeshaya 11 and 12 which are full of beautiful pesukim about the geulah, lion and lamb, umalah ha'aretz dai'ah es Hashem, and more. I love what Rabbi Rosner said: Read about what you dream about.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can we start a discussion on Sefer Yehoshua? Admittedly, I don't push myself to keep up every day, as I have*some* other responsibilities

There is nach yomi? Delighted to hear that!
Where can I find the schedule?

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:33 pm
hotzenplotz wrote:
wow! I would love to read up on it since I am fascinated with the original cities of the land of Israel in times of Yehosuha, Shoftim and first and second bais Hamikdash. Can you elaborate?

It is a fascinating subject since I've read that Cyprus, huge parts of Syria some of Turkey will belong to Eretz Yisrael............

There are fascinating lectures on this subject in ivrit on tauvod (the site of tel aviv university), by Oded Lipshitz and others...

But it could be that some readers here might object to those archeological lectures...

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 5:21 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:

I never saw this! Yes, isn't it surprising that there was so much infighting and avodah zara? I mean, they had the Bais Hamikdash! They had neviim! It's so mind-blowing.

I bet if there were a chapter on our currently situation, it would sound much of the same. It never does seem to single out the great people, only discuss the global situation.

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 5:22 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I meant to post this 2 days ago. Sunday and Monday were Yeshaya 11 and 12 which are full of beautiful pesukim about the geulah, lion and lamb, umalah ha'aretz dai'ah es Hashem, and more. I love what Rabbi Rosner said: Read about what you dream about.

I listen to Rabbi Rosner! He's great! Except I don't remember this. What did he say about read about what you dream about?

I listened to yesterday's perek while playing that Dveikus song.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 5:35 pm
Ora in town wrote:
There is nach yomi? Delighted to hear that!
Where can I find the schedule?

On ou.org

Last edited by PinkFridge on Tue, Jun 16 2020, 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 5:36 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
I never saw this! Yes, isn't it surprising that there was so much infighting and avodah zara? I mean, they had the Bais Hamikdash! They had neviim! It's so mind-blowing.

I bet if there were a chapter on our currently situation, it would sound much of the same. It never does seem to single out the great people, only discuss the global situation.

Re avodah zara: You know the medrash about the tanna and the halachos of hand washing, ending with Menashe saying, had you been alive then you'd be holding on to my hem to urge me to run faster.

BH we no longer have the yetzer hara, so it's mind boggling. Unfortunately we still have the yetzer hara for infighting....

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 5:37 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
I listen to Rabbi Rosner! He's great! Except I don't remember this. What did he say about read about what you dream about?

I listened to yesterday's perek while playing that Dveikus song.

On Sunday. Maybe I'll relisten.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 7:02 pm
A couple of corrections. In this perek (11) it's the wolf and the sheep. The lion is eating straw.
And it's read about what we dream about. At about 20:25 but start listening at 20:10.
I have an OUTorah app on my kosher phone. I think it's OUTorah.org. Find Rabbi Shalom Rosner, Yeshayahu 11. He originally gave it in an earlier cycle, repeated June 14 of this year.

It's really beautiful.

etky

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:41 am
PinkFridge wrote:
A couple of corrections. In this perek (11) it's the wolf and the sheep. The lion is eating straw.
And it's read about what we dream about. At about 20:25 but start listening at 20:10.
I have an OUTorah app on my kosher phone. I think it's OUTorah.org. Find Rabbi Shalom Rosner, Yeshayahu 11. He originally gave it in an earlier cycle, repeated June 14 of this year.

It's really beautiful.

It's the haftarah for Yom Ha'atzmaut (that begins at the end of perek 10 and also includes perek 12).
It a utopian vision for the future, of what can be be"h.

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:43 am
PinkFridge wrote:

It's really beautiful.

I went to check it out but I didn't hear this on this perek? Are you sure you have the right one?

On another note, a bug in the OUTorah app that drives me crazy is that once you've listened to a lecture, you can't replay it again a few days later. It goes straight to the end.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics