Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
WWYD. Force son to get shot for sleep away camp. Sensory
Previous  1  2

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 2:20 pm
I had this problem with my 11 daughter when she had to get her 11 year old shots. She didn’t get them until she was almost 12 because of her fear.
At the end, we spoke about a few things she wanted badly and I told her if she behaved I would buy it right after the shots. She still was a terrible patient. She had to be held down and screamed as if she was giving birth. Afterwards she admitted that the pain of the needle wasn’t that bad but the fear of the needle going into the skin is what makes it horrible.
Op, Take him anyway. It will just take a few minutes and he will hopefully have an enjoyable summer. It will be a hard day for both you and him but if he enjoys camp I think he should go.
Btw- I heard that there is a new type of covid19 test. They only go to the opening by the nostrils not deep in and not in the throat anymore either.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 2:32 pm
Would something like this help?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6LhpMAEvQ4

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 2:43 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:

Do you think his pediatrician would be willing to prescribe him an anti anxiety medicine (like Valium or something) for this one test? It may not be strong enough but I think it is worth a try.

This. Are dealing with this now. Teen is terrified of needles, bit behind on shots, hasn't had blood work in years. Doctors spoke with her, nurses tried to reassure/calm her, tried working with a therapist for a few sessions who gave her calming techniques to use when afraid - no dice. She basically has a panic attack when dealing with needles. Her doctor suggested trying medication taken half hour before a blood test to calm her. Here's hoping...

The thing is, she's old enough now to understand that her fear is something to overcome, that it causes her problems, and to be willing to work at overcoming it. Do you think your child could understand those concepts?

Motherhood

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 2:55 pm
I don’t think I would force, but strongly encourage. I would ask him what he needs or wants from you to help him feel better about it? You want me to hold you down? You want to choose something special in the grocery when we’re done? You want a numbing cream? Discuss it with him how you can make it feel “better”

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 3:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 11 year old son has been attending sleep away camp since he was 8. His camp is reopening. All campers will need to take a covid-19 as well as an antibody test before being allowed to camp. My understanding is that the antibody test can only be done by drawing blood. My son is unimaginably terrified of needles. In order to take the test he'd have to be physically held down. He says it's a no brainer and he'll skip camp this year. Would you force the test on him? He loves camp and I expect him to have a great time if he goes.

is this for bonim? did u ask them if u can just get a corona test instead?

amother
Red

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 3:52 pm
I had a paralyzing fear of needles up until a year or so ago and I'm not even totally over it. I agree with the posters saying that it's his choice but you need to try helping him work through this fear, it's so crippling as you get older.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 4:03 pm
Find a different camp

Sunny Days

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 4:06 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Presumably then he’d need a negative corona test

So then what’s the point of the ab test?
It’s not even as if the positive result can determine anything major

OBnursemom

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 4:10 pm
This is something my kids have used for shots. https://buzzyhelps.com/products/buzzy®-mini-personal?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5PD8l4r96QIVPOaGCh0jrADdEAAYASAAEgK23PD_BwE
It’s no good for a blood draw though, because the person drawing has to visualize the vein. I would get a script for EMLA cream.

Sunny Days

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 4:17 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
This is something my kids have used for shots. https://buzzyhelps.com/products/buzzy®-mini-personal?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5PD8l4r96QIVPOaGCh0jrADdEAAYASAAEgK23PD_BwE
It’s no good for a blood draw though, because the person drawing has to visualize the vein. I would get a script for EMLA cream.

FYI about Elma, sometimes constricts vessels and personally I find the anticipation of having the cream on for so long makes the anxiety worse.

https://pediatrics.aappublicat.....=true

OBnursemom

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 4:25 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
FYI about Elma, sometimes constricts vessels and personally I find the anticipation of having the cream on for so long makes the anxiety worse.

https://pediatrics.aappublicat.....=true

For most people I know who have needed EMLA, they apply it themselves at home an hour before their appt so they don’t have to wait.

The study you posted compared EMLA and ELA-Max which doesn’t cause vasoconstriction. The conclusion of the article states that there was no difference between both products. We don’t use EMLA in L&D, we just inject lidocaine if a patient wants some pain relief. I know about EMLA from a family member who had a central line. He used it before the appts where he was getting his port accessed.
“Conclusions. ELA-Max, applied for 30 minutes before IV cannulation, has an anesthetic effectiveness similar to EMLA applied for 60 minutes. Some children rated IV insertion pain fairly high for both hands (eg, 60 on a 0- to 100-point scale) despite anesthetic treatment. Preprocedural anxiety may affect the perception and/or rating of pain. There were no differences between hands that were treated with EMLA or with ELA-Max for success of IV insertion.״

Sunny Days

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 4:34 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
For most people I know who have needed EMLA, they apply it themselves at home an hour before their appt so they don’t have to wait.

The study you posted compared EMLA and ELA-Max which doesn’t cause vasoconstriction. The conclusion of the article states that there was no difference between both products. We don’t use EMLA in L&D, we just inject lidocaine if a patient wants some pain relief. I know about EMLA from a family member who had a central line. He used it before the appts where he was getting his port accessed.
“Conclusions. ELA-Max, applied for 30 minutes before IV cannulation, has an anesthetic effectiveness similar to EMLA applied for 60 minutes. Some children rated IV insertion pain fairly high for both hands (eg, 60 on a 0- to 100-point scale) despite anesthetic treatment. Preprocedural anxiety may affect the perception and/or rating of pain. There were no differences between hands that were treated with EMLA or with ELA-Max for success of IV insertion.״

I was talking about personal experience on blood draws on a kid with/without Elma & what I was told by a ped onco phlebotomist.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:59 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
I was talking about personal experience on blood draws on a kid with/without Elma & what I was told by a ped onco phlebotomist.
our oncology phlebotomists didn’t like Emla because they claimed sometimes it made the veins harder to find, but we used it anyways and it worked for us. It was just placebo because the kid didn’t even flinch when the needle went in.

trixx

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 7:38 pm
Are you talking about blood drawn?
That's not a shot.
And you can't leave such a big decision up to a 11 year old. Its not fair. By the first day missing camp he'll be ready to change his mind and do it.
Also, you have a camp that's opening?? Why would you not be taking full advantage.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 8:06 pm
Why don't you get him a blood prick corona test? It's much quicker, less painful and less scary.

Rutabaga

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 10:58 pm
Read the fine print. If there are any suspicions of Covid-19 once the kids are in camp, they will have to get tested again. Will he be able to go through that without you there to support him?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 11:32 pm
As someone who has had phobias, I also highly recommend therapy and/or subconscious reprogramming recordings, if your son would be interested. For the immediate future, definitely a Xanax or whatever kids can be prescribed to be taken a half hour/45 minutes before the blood is drawn.

If he's relaxed enough from the med that there's no issue, try being silly and laughing during the blood drawn so his brain can hopefully begin making silly associations with blood being drawn. (Do not do this is he's terrified - might just be invalidating.) Do not use the word "fear", "scared" etc during that time, even to say, "see? No need to be scared!" His brain will hear "fear" and "scared" and there's no need for him to associate those words with that anymore.

This whole holding someone down thing sounds terrifying to me. I'm not judging any parents that do what they need to in an immediate moment, but for sometime with phobias, I think this would exacerbate it - they would feel totally powerless and terrified which is also a precursor to what might give someone PTSD from a given situation. Ideally your son can feel empowered or at the very least, not terrified, but not forced. (Also not saying any kid held down for a shot will have PTSD, someone with this phobia is a different situation.)

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:50 pm
IF he stays home that doesn't automatically equal boredom and a horrible summer.

My kids were home a few years when I couldn't find the right daycamp for them--- they're home again this summer. 13 year old twins----- their daycamp is closed this summer and they refuse to think about overnight camp. Soooooo I'm the cruise director. Board games, art projects, science experiments, reading time, family walks, cooking and baking, etc etc etc. It's hard on me because I can't get anything *I* want or need to get done but THEY are happy. I make a plan for every day. Tomorrow we're playing mad libs--- anyone want to come over? lol.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children