Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Makeup S/O

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:12 pm
I LOVE nail polish. I’m so used to it that my bare nails give me the chills. Something I don’t understand is why so many Bais Yaakov’s forbid it when so many of those kids have mothers who wear it and many of them will graduate, start dating and wearing nail polish. I don’t have school aged daughters yet but iyh when I do send, who do I even explain why she can’t wear nail polish but I can? I’ve seen some very aidel, tznius, girls get manicures with their mothers as a special YT treat and then they have to scrub it off before they go to school. I think that’s so sad. What’s the deal with it?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:15 pm
It's in the same category as makeup. Moms can wear it but students can't wear it to school. Part of the uniform.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:19 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's in the same category as makeup. Moms can wear it but students can't wear it to school. Part of the uniform.

But for some reason I feel like the schools are saying it’s not tznius (as opposed to makeup for adults) or am I misunderstanding it?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:20 pm
Lol I still don’t wear nail polish (plus one less thing to take off for Mikvah) because of all those years of being told not to

giselle

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But for some reason I feel like the schools are saying it’s not tznius (as opposed to makeup for adults) or am I misunderstanding it?

I don’t think so. I remember one time getting caught with nail polish in high school and the principal told me it’s against the rules to wear it to school and that was it. If it was a real tznius issue, she would have made a much bigger deal. She would do the same if someone was wearing makeup.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:24 pm
giselle wrote:
I don’t think so. I remember one time getting caught with nail polish in high school and the principal told me it’s against the rules to wear it to school and that was it. If it was a real tznius issue, she would have made a much bigger deal. She would do the same if someone was wearing makeup.

Interesting. I guess I also don’t understand why nail polish falls into the same category as makeup. Like makeup I can understand is like kids trying to dress like adults but nail polish knows no bounds! Little girls can wear nail polish like even when they’re 3 and it doesn’t look adultish

giselle

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Interesting. I guess I also don’t understand why nail polish falls into the same category as makeup. Like makeup I can understand is like kids trying to dress like adults but nail polish knows no bounds! Little girls can wear nail polish like even when they’re 3 and it doesn’t look adultish

There are schools that don’t let brightly colored socks or shoes either.. I think they just want kids to dress conservatively for school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics