Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
For those who SD / have teens, your view

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:02 pm
Day camps have been calling for my kids to work (nyc). With masks& no youth corp.

Idkwtd. Not sure how I feel and what I think. Please discuss to help me decide.

fleetwood

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Day camps have been calling for my kids to work (nyc). With masks& no youth corp.

I'm in the same boat. They get paid about 350-400$ for the summer..it's peanuts.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

We can afford to have our teens not work, and I don't want to take the risk, evvn with masks.

icebreaker

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:13 pm
Same with my daughter. She wants to work at a daycamp but I’m like uhhh I don’t know.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:25 pm
There’s a lot to be gained by working as a counselor besides money. I’ve always worked as a teen without youth corp and we gained valuable leadership skills, learned to problem solve and got very creative.

How does your teen feel about wearing a mask all day? Do you trust them with sanitizing and washing?

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I would not keep the children from doing it if they want (as long as it's not illegal).

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:30 pm
We don't have youthcorp, so that is irrelevant. My kids were supposed to work at sleep away. One is now looking for a day camp job and ca definitely be trusted with mask/washing....
The other is taking on-line college classes and looking for something else to do. She is not interested in day camp.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:35 pm
We have a bigger problem. My daughter’s day camp (in Brooklyn) is not even talking about masks. . . And her two friends, whom she would be working with, have long since given up social distancing. We are middle-aged parents, and I don’t think I am going to let her do it. I feel pretty bad about it, but I don’t think it’s worth the risk . . .

Feels like we are the last people left in Brooklyn, who are still taking COVID-19 seriously, and my daughter is starting to get resentful (sigh).

keym

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:52 pm
We don't have youthcorp so I'm putting aside the conversation of cost.

My daughter has been in communication with various camps so here are some things that have come under conversation.

- working in a bunk as the single assistant with an older woman vs working as a joint assistant together with another girl her age.
The latter does provide a social life

- how much does the camp provide in activities vs expect the teen girls to create entertainment.

- what does the camp plan in terms of indoor/outdoor activities. Especially for rain or heatwave. This is the Coronavirus vs elements balance

- in general how serious is the camp going to take rules. Not just masks

- what job. A camp wanted my daughter to do Temp Check. I refused. Both exposure and the responsibility of being the one to send kids away.

- what other choices to do

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 6:13 pm
If not working, what will they be doing? Something fun/productive or waking up at noon and being glued to their phones/electronics?
Are you older/immunocompromised? Are they around their grandparents/immunocompromised people?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 6:30 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
If not working, what will they be doing? Something fun/productive or waking up at noon and being glued to their phones/electronics?
Are you older/immunocompromised? Are they around their grandparents/immunocompromised people?

It will definitely be a more challenging summer. I’m assuming I will have to spend more time entertaining. I bought her some crafts (e.g. Diamond Dots, 3000 pc. Jigsaw puzzle, Paint-by-number, etc.) Planning to take her hiking, biking, rollerblading, etc. Bought some more books for her a Kindle. Thinking about having her CLEP over the summer (if that’s possible). She’s in an ultra Yeshivish school and doesn’t have a smart phone/electronics.

We are middle-aged parents, and my husband has lost quite a number of friends to this horrible illness. Everyone is saying it is gone from Brooklyn, and/or we must be immune by now . . . Maybe that’s true, but I’m not willing to bet my husband’s life on it . . .

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 6:34 pm
I think that if someone has antibodies now they don’t have to be careful anymore.
Otherwise, just ask your doctor for advise.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 7:26 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I think that if someone has antibodies now they don’t have to be careful anymore.
Otherwise, just ask your doctor for advise.

We tested and none of us have antibodies. We’d be a lot less nervous if we did (that’s why we tested), but in any case, it’s not certain that having antibodies makes one immune and/or unable to pass this virus on to anyone else.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:19 pm
Everyone here should ask there rav what to do. It’s a touchy situation when it comes to teens. You don’t want them bourse it resentful. I know a few people that asked and they were told there teens should take a job!

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:13 pm
What is the difference between teens working in day camp and kids going as campers? Everyone seems fine with sending kids as campers, so why not teens working? FTR, my teen is not working and I am not sending younger kids as campers either.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:16 pm
ask your doctor and rav

it is so challenging

hugs and hatzlocha

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:42 pm
If the goal is to earn money, nannying for a family for the summer who is being responsible about social distancing would be much less exposure than camp counseling and bring in more money. There wouldn't be the same social aspect though, of hanging out with other counselors.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:46 pm
My teens are hopefully all working in day camp this summer.

They told me they wanted to. And even though we have been getting along ok all these months, they desperately want to work. They want a routine again. They want a semi normal life.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:51 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
What is the difference between teens working in day camp and kids going as campers? Everyone seems fine with sending kids as campers, so why not teens working? FTR, my teen is not working and I am not sending younger kids as campers either.

Little kids I would keep home. Its the older kids that thrive besides for the paycheck. They feel grown up, accomplished, they are away from the computer, they get time outdoors, it creates a schedule to their day.
I could make a schedule at home. My concern would be will the camp take them back next year if they skip this year, will my teen resent house arrest longer. Is it a risk to our family. Me & dh still going out, working, shopping etc. We try to be careful but its not perfect. Massive confusion on what the risk is & the right steps to take.

Last camp that called said they will be implementing city guidelines but "kids will be kids". And no way one of my kids will be good at the rules. Dh is mid aged, grandparents we arent going near.

Just dont know what to do. If they stay home I will need to run somewhat of a normal schedule for them or screens will completely take over.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics