Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O Credit Card Tips for 1st Timers - which card to choose

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 5:57 pm
Hi all! Hi

I'm looking to get a credit card but there are so many to choose from... TMI

Which credit card would you recommend getting and why?

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 6:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi all! Hi

You need a credit card to build up credit. Just open any there is no difference. Maybe look at dans deals you can find one that will give you a nice amount of points to use them. Let someone you know refer you so that person gets free points.

forgetit

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 6:17 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
You need a credit card to build up credit. Just open any there is no difference. Maybe look at dans deals you can find one that will give you a nice amount of points to use them. Let someone you know refer you so that person gets free points.

It sure does matter which one. Don't apply for cards unless you know you have a high chance of getting approved. Otherwise, you might harm your (low-non-existent) credit even more.
Your bank might offer credit cards.
You might want to have someone add you as an authorized user, if you can (you'll get benefits of their credit even if you don't use the card.)
You might want to call American Express and see which cards they have for you. You might want to ask them about a secure card or other cards they have for credit-building purposes.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 6:21 pm
forgetit wrote:
It sure does matter which one. Don't apply for cards unless you know you have a high chance of getting approved. Otherwise, you might harm your (low-non-existent) credit even more.
Your bank might offer credit cards.
You might want to have someone add you as an authorized user, if you can (you'll get benefits of their credit even if you don't use the card.)
You might want to call American Express and see which cards they have for you. You might want to ask them about a secure card or other cards they have for credit-building purposes.

Um... What are you talking about? Where you coming from?

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 6:31 pm
Go to a site like credit karma or someone mentioned nerd wallet... You put in your income and the types of purchase and it recommends stuff for you

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 6:37 pm
Do you have any credit at all?

If not then most lenders will not approve you for a credit card.

To start building credit:

1. You can either ask someone who has good credit to add you as an additional user on one of their cards. If you do this, than go for the higher credit cards - Sapphire, Amex etc. I believe after 6 months some lenders may approve you for your own card.

2. Get a secured credit card - the bank holds a deposit from you, and issues you a credit line in the amount of the deposit. After 18 - 24 months (depending on the bank), if all your payments were made on time, the bank will return the deposit to you.
I started with Citi Secured Card. I think Capital One also offers it.

3. I heard, but don't know anything about it, that WellsFargo has some sort of promotion that they offer you a cc when you open a checking account with them. Don't know anything about it.

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 6:38 pm
Here is a very helpful blog:
https://helpmebuildcredit.com/.....card/

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 6:39 pm

What did she say wrong?

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 6:44 pm

A "hard inquiry" of your credit, such as when you apply for credit and a bank/cc company checks your credit report, results in a temporary drop of your credit score. Checking your credit rating yourself (a "soft inquiry") does not.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 6:49 pm
[quote="amother [ Gray ]"]A "hard inquiry" of your credit, such as when you apply for credit and a bank/cc company checks your credit report, results in a temporary drop of your credit score. Checking your credit rating yourself (a "soft inquiry") does not.[/quote
The question was a simple question, your answing with assumptions. She will get approved the same way any first timer applies.

doctorima

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 7:39 pm
https://www.dansdeals.com/cred.....-now/

1ofbillions

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 7:41 pm
[quote="amother [ Slategray ]"]
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
A "hard inquiry" of your credit, such as when you apply for credit and a bank/cc company checks your credit report, results in a temporary drop of your credit score. Checking your credit rating yourself (a "soft inquiry") does not.[/quote
The question was a simple question, your answing with assumptions. She will get approved the same way any first timer applies.

First timers are not approved for most cards unless their credit score is high from other things like leasing a car etc. You have to do research to find out what cards would approve you based on your credit score. NerdWallet is a great resource for this.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 7:44 pm
My suggestion:
Dont get a credit card! Use only a debit card.
Credit cards lead to a bug black hole. I know too many people with credit card debt. More than you can ever imagine.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 10:50 pm
Thank you for all your responses! Smile

Saddlebrown - if I don't build up my credit then I won't be able to get bank loans for car/house.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 12:27 am
I found Discover cards underrated, but I would say a top choice for a first card- they have
1. awesome cash back which they double after the first year as a perk (ex you earn $150 cash back they will give you another $150 after the first year so total $300 cash back!)

2. great customer service- all American based reps with live chat avail

3. no annual fee (which can start at $95 per year with some other cards!)

PLUS if you need to build your credit, they offer secure cards- which means you put a deposit for X amount of $ which becomes your credit limit. I found that with consistent spending and on time payments, they return your deposit and upgrade you to a normal cc pretty fast. Which then builds your credit to allow you to apply for other cards such as Amex or Chase etc.

Btw- If you are a student you get even more perks and a bigger chance of approval.

I’ve recommended it to lots of friends and they all had great experiences as well. It’s a long journey to excellent credit- but well worth it! Believe me I went from 500 to 800+ in a year Very Happy

M.C.

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 12:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi all! Hi

You can PM me if you need more details. Have loads of experience with this and helped lots of friends and family!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics