Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
For how long does a live vaccine shed?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 12:24 am
Does anyone know where I can find this information?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 12:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find this information?

None of the live vaccines shed, other than the OPV. In most cases, the people who are "shedded on" by the OPV receive protection from polio.
It sheds for about two weeks, IIRC.

ETA: Vaccine discussions belong in the vaccination forum, not the natural parenting forum. I am reporting your post so that an admin can move it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 7:06 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
None of the live vaccines shed, other than the OPV. In most cases, the people who are "shedded on" by the OPV receive protection from polio.
It sheds for about two weeks, IIRC.

ETA: Vaccine discussions belong in the vaccination forum, not the natural parenting forum. I am reporting your post so that an admin can move it.

From what I understand, the MMR does shed.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 7:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
From what I understand, the MMR does shed.

That's a common misconception. It does not.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 7:11 am
Women who receive MMR are recommended not to get pregnant for three months afterwards. Not sure if that is related to any risk of the foetus being exposed to the virus from the injection, or whether it is to be sure that the woman has time to develop antibodies to any external source of infection.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 7:11 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
That's a common misconception. It does not.

For those who go along with this misconception, where can I find more information?

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 7:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For those who go along with this misconception, where can I find more information?
The typical timing is 21 days, same as the disease. But you won't find any information on that anywhere. Last year with the measles outbreak any reference to MMR shedding was removed. Hospital used to have on its cancer ward a sign, it also said so online, that one who got MMR or chickenpox vaccine within last 21 days should not come visit. But it was taken down from their site during the measles outbreak. There was an amother here who posted a screenshot of it before it was removed.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 7:21 am
I found that post
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....44638
and
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....32134

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 8:36 am
Elfrida wrote:
Women who receive MMR are recommended not to get pregnant for three months afterwards. Not sure if that is related to any risk of the foetus being exposed to the virus from the injection, or whether it is to be sure that the woman has time to develop antibodies to any external source of infection.

Because it's a live vaccine for diseases we know can cause birth defects, and we don't want to find out if it causes birth defects. So the recommendation is to wait three months, and by then we know you've got antibodies and you're completely done with it, without a doubt.
That has nothing to do with whether the vaccine sheds to other people...

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 8:58 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
The typical timing is 21 days, same as the disease. But you won't find any information on that anywhere. Last year with the measles outbreak any reference to MMR shedding was removed. Hospital used to have on its cancer ward a sign, it also said so online, that one who got MMR or chickenpox vaccine within last 21 days should not come visit. But it was taken down from their site during the measles outbreak. There was an amother here who posted a screenshot of it before it was removed.

That's not because of shedding. It's because during an outbreak we assume that many received the vaccination due to possible exposure, and we don't know if they were vaccinated in time, but we do know that they will probably discount the exposure if they were vaccinated afterwards. When there is no outbreak, that concern is irrelevant.

OP asked about MMR, which never sheds. With regards to varicella, there were five cases of shedding out of five MILLION doses, so it's safe to say that those five were probably exposed to the virus prior to receiving the vaccine, and it's not the vaccine that did the shedding...

In any case the only vaccine confirmed to shed is the OPV.

Oh and rota, if you change a diaper and don't wash your hands and then put your hands in your mouth, then you might get diarrhea (not rotavirus, just diarrhea). But otherwise no, it doesn't shed. And since rota is given only to babies under a year, and infects only kids, there's no way a baby can infect anyone if its caregivers aren't irresponsible and neglectful.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 9:55 am
The risk from MMR shedding is just about 0. Theoretically yes for a few weeks it can. Practically, it is more rare than rare.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 9:58 am
When I volunteered for Chai Lifeline, the signs in the hospitals all said not to visit if you had mmr, varicella, or flu vaccine in the last 21 days due to risk of shedding and infecting cancer patients.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 10:17 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
That's not because of shedding. It's because during an outbreak we assume that many received the vaccination due to possible exposure, and we don't know if they were vaccinated in time, but we do know that they will probably discount the exposure if they were vaccinated afterwards. When there is no outbreak, that concern is irrelevant.

OP asked about MMR, which never sheds. With regards to varicella, there were five cases of shedding out of five MILLION doses, so it's safe to say that those five were probably exposed to the virus prior to receiving the vaccine, and it's not the vaccine that did the shedding...

In any case the only vaccine confirmed to shed is the OPV.

Oh and rota, if you change a diaper and don't wash your hands and then put your hands in your mouth, then you might get diarrhea (not rotavirus, just diarrhea). But otherwise no, it doesn't shed. And since rota is given only to babies under a year, and infects only kids, there's no way a baby can infect anyone if its caregivers aren't irresponsible and neglectful.

Read the linked threads before commenting.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 11:48 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Read the linked threads before commenting.

If someone has developed a rash, then they have a low chance of being contagious. That's not the same thing as shedding.

St. Jude's didn't say that anyone who got the MMR might shed. They said anyone who got the MMR and has a rash shouldn't come. Which is a huge difference. And anyone with a rash, vaccinated or not, should be at home resting regardless.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 2:48 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
If someone has developed a rash, then they have a low chance of being contagious. That's not the same thing as shedding.

St. Jude's didn't say that anyone who got the MMR might shed. They said anyone who got the MMR and has a rash shouldn't come. Which is a huge difference. And anyone with a rash, vaccinated or not, should be at home resting regardless.

You said MMR never sheds. Then you say that someone can become contagious from getting the MMR.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 3:54 pm
No issue afaik. I have a kid on chemo & when a different kid was due for MMR booster Dr said it’s not a problem
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics