Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Another spinoff of keeping up with trends :)
Previous  1  2

When you were younger, did you care about keeping up with the trends?
Yes, very much so  
 29%  [ 26 ]
I cared, but didn’t make a big deal about it.  
 33%  [ 29 ]
Nah, like to be my own person.  
 28%  [ 25 ]
Other  
 8%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 87

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 1:43 pm
in first grade I wanted to keep up with the trends in fourth grade everyone wore earth shoes and I wanted that whn I was sixteen and went to camp I wanted nice clothing like everyone else had and had to be embarassed to ask t o loan shabbos out fits even thou my parents could afford to buy me my own

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 1:59 pm
I grew up in a neighborhood where almost everyone shopped in certain stores and dressed a certain way...not what you'd call designer, but more like the stuff they sell in frum stores. I would say it was a very in-the-box, narrow way of life where everyone did the same thing, dressed similarly, etc....

My home was unlike everyone else's, my mother marched to her own drumbeat, and she didn't care how our house looked, or how we looked. She told us over and over how we can be our own selves, and how we can be different, etc...she did things differently on purpose and was so proud of it.

But for whatever reason, I was more of a conformist, and her message was totally lost on me. I suffered from low self-esteem, I was also excluded from neighborhood activities, I felt left out and judged and looked down on by everyone around me. I longed to fit in.

As a parent, I'm not the biggest trend-follower, and there are a number of areas in my life where I do my own thing (probably thanks to my upbringing. Some things did seep in.) For myself, I've come a long way and I'm comfortable with myself and doing things as I like, I don't have to do what everyone else does. But I also try to look at my kids and see their point of view. They don't have to do everything my way. If they have a need to fit in a certain area, I try to show them that I care about that. They don't have to have every trend from top to bottom, nor do they have to stand out as different. We can find a happy medium.

I find it interesting that there are people here on imamother and also IRL who consider themselves open-minded, and yet that openmindedness only extends to their own POV. They think everyone has to do it their way, that it's THE right way and anything else is shallow. At least think about the fact that other people may experience it differently (and that could be your own children!). If you are really open-minded, it would extend to being able to see things the way someone else feels.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:02 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
What I was referring to was that "only stupid people buy brands...".

Of course teaching your children not to have respect for people who you perceive to be judgmental... is teaching your children to be judgmental.

Ah, sorry, this is a mistake in my text, because I rephrased it a few times. I will correct it.
I don't teacch my children not to have respect for judgmental people, I try to teach them not to be overly attentive to brands and external appearance.

As far as the "stupid" question goes, I anwered it: I don't think any more that everyone who wants a certain brand is stupid, because I recognised that it can be that a brand really offers value for money.

But I still think that people who buy a certain brand because "everyone else has it" or in order to be "with it", and not for the merits of the product itself, are not particularly bright.

This said, I have to confess my own sins in this regard:

When I was about 11, I switched schools. And a few students in my new class had yellow schoolbus-shaped lunch boxes... So I wanted one too... in order to "fit in"... and got one... and the first day I brought it to school the students from the higher grades made fun of me "oh look, there's one more of those" So I think this was bashert, it cured me for quite a while from such aspirations...

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 6:37 pm
I guess it depends very much on individual personnality and preferences...

If you happen to like what all the others like - it's easy to be conformist...

If you happen to like something else, you might want to go with what you like, and not with what you should like...

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 6:57 pm
Keeping up with the trends does not necessarily mean buying brand names. Sometimes the trends are cheap junks. And sometimes you could get cheap knock-offs and still look trendy.

We were not well to do. But I still always tried to fit in by buying the right styles in cheaper companies.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics