Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Lost sense of smell 10 Weeks ago now only weird smell, HELP!
Previous  1  2

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 12:39 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Is there any way to pm you?

If you post your username, I'll pm you. Then you can delete it from the thread.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 12:41 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
If you post your username, I'll pm you. Then you can delete it from the thread.

Delete

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jun 18 2020, 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 12:42 am
I b"H have not experienced this, but I do remember my father a few years ago told me that he went for accupuncture for something unrelated, and it improved his sense of smell.
Perhaps at some point if it is ch"v still a problem it is worth checking that out.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 6:06 am
In my experience, and from everything I've read online, smell and taste are the very last symptoms to go away. No one knows why it takes so long. I got sick a week before Purim, and it was only recently that things started being normal again. Up until then, things tasted like I was sucking on aluminum foil.

You'll be happy to know that I can smell flowers, taste all kinds of foods, and feel completely back to normal.

It's scary, you just have to have patience. Daven!

Refuah sheleimah to all of you. It will be OK. Hug

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 7:42 am
Same here. I lost my smell and taste right away in March. Took like 8 weeks to come back. Now I’m dealing with with this. It’s so disgusting. Everything tastes like onions and roasted garlic and sometimes a dirty diaper. Anything sweet or seasoned tastes and smells awful. Coffee as well and some proteins too.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 2:46 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
not personal experience with covid and smell and taste, but personal experience with other nervous system dysfunction post infection, based on my understanding of the underlying pathophysiology.

What have u been taking?

I've been taking vitamin C, Vitamin D, Zinc, probioitic, and garlic and a multi

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 3:41 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
It has not gone away. But I've been keeping it away most of the day by avoiding eating things that bring on that horrible taste. Right now I'm managing with dairy. And no seasonings only salt and sugar. If I eat seasoned anything, especially chicken/meat/fish, I start crying from the horrible taste and smell that doesn't go away. So I am avoiding those things. No garlic in my dressing. Nothing. Then it's livable.
It's a shame. I had already started getting my taste back and was enjoying well seasoned food before this came on.

Interesting, in my situation it has nothing to do w spices, I believe it is triggered by heat as it mostly happens during/post cooking. even after preparing just a scrambled egg.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 3:48 pm
I had the virus the week after Purim and lost my sense of smell at that time. B"H got it back after 2-3 weeks or so, but I would say it's not total - probably like 90%.

Then about 3 weeks ago I started having this funny taste/smell, like onion/garlic haze on everything. It got better after a week or so, but again, not totally. At this point, I don't smell anything funny, but here and there some things taste off.

Yesterday I had lunch with my DD and we had the same type of coke. I asked her if hers tastes "off" and she said no. I tried coke again today just to see, and same thing, it has an off taste.

Keeps happening with various foods here and there. Like it's going bad or stale - a touch off.

I'm sure it's all COVID related. Never had anything like this before in my life.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 4:03 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I had the virus the week after Purim and lost my sense of smell at that time. B"H got it back after 2-3 weeks or so, but I would say it's not total - probably like 90%.

Then about 3 weeks ago I started having this funny taste/smell, like onion/garlic haze on everything. It got better after a week or so, but again, not totally. At this point, I don't smell anything funny, but here and there some things taste off.

Yesterday I had lunch with my DD and we had the same type of coke. I asked her if hers tastes "off" and she said no. I tried coke again today just to see, and same thing, it has an off taste.

Keeps happening with various foods here and there. Like it's going bad or stale - a touch off.

I'm sure it's all COVID related. Never had anything like this before in my life.

So interesting because by me it's not around while I eat, but stays in my mouth and nose through out the day!

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 7:56 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I sure hope this doesn't become chronic.

This is the part that scared me the most... The unknown aftereffects. People kept saying this is just a flu, but at every turn we've been seeing such strange symptoms and effects. I hope there are no more surprises ahead.

Some covid survivors dropped dead of heart attacks/strokes/blood clots during/after recovery. It's pretty scary. Gahhhhh.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 7:56 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I got Corona shavous time now my mouth has a rotten taste and it's coming out of my Nose too anyone else had this? My sense of smell still gone though

My mouth always feels like it's burning or there's sand in it. I suck on a lot of candy to keep my mouth not tasting gross. ugh.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 7:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've been taking vitamin C, Vitamin D, Zinc, probioitic, and garlic and a multi
you are not targeting olfactory nerve inflammation that may be at the root of this

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 8:08 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
you are not targeting olfactory nerve inflammation that may be at the root of this

And what do you suggest for that?

hillary

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 10:44 pm
I had covid in March. It took weeks to get my sense of smell back, but I constantly had the smell and taste of chlorine in my mouth. That too wore off, but now everytime I'm really exhausted, the chlorine taste comes back!

seafood

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 12:35 am
We had covid in March, I didn’t lose my sense of smell but my husband did. His doctor said it can take months or even not come back at all...

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:53 pm
Some insight is starting to become available about this phenomenon. Read this article in its entirety, it's very informative.

https://www.businessinsider.co.....020-6

The horrible smell taste is referenced (see quote below).

"Some coronavirus patients may start to regain their sense of smell as their olfactory neurons regenerate over the course weeks or months. These patients often develop "parosmia" — a distorted sense of smell — as they recover, which can turn otherwise pleasant aromas into foul odors like chemicals or burning."
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics