Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Toilet Training for the non-verbal child

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 8:14 am
My son is 3 years and I think it's time to start toilet training. He does not talk and has some other delays which is why I've waited till now but I think its time to start. But how? He does communicate so I think we can come up with a sign or something to indicate he needs the bathroom but is there anything else I'm forgetting, or any tips I can use that you've tried? Also, he doesn't really dress himself yet, so it it kind of pointless anyway if I'm going to have to help him every time he needs the bathroom?

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 8:19 am
Wishing you the best of luck. Toilet training is never easy, and this sounds like your have some added challenges and complications.
There are definitely signs he can use and the fact that he cannot dress himself should not be a deterrent. One of my DDs toilet trained very young and couldn't dress herself or get onto the toilet by herself at all. It was still the right thing to do and the right time to do it (it is difficult and hard work but think of all the money you will save on diapers!)

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 8:21 am
Social story. Picture card sequences.

At this stage, everyone is helping their kids dress and undress. A sign is a good idea, but he also might just walk to the bathroom. Often in the beginning, you will just be reading his body language for when he has to go, and scheduling trips.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 8:47 am
I work with non verbal autistic kids and they are placed on the potty at regular intervals and given rewards, plus picture cards. It’s not easy you will probably need help.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 9:54 am
How do I find a social story online? I think that's a good idea. We did something similar for his upsherin and it was great, not sure why I didn't think of that...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training