Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Where to start?

Bubblegum1

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 9:52 am
The aliyah talk is definently getting to me. Its something my husband and I have always thought about in the back of our mind but life... given current events I want to seriously explore it. I do not want to rush into it and take the time to properly prepare. Maybe make a 2 year plan? Where do I start? My number one concern is finding a community that we fit into Hashkafically. We are frum American husband works but learns daily goes to minyan 3 times day but would not feel comfortable in chareidi community. But do not have tv/watch movies etc. I am not opposed to boys doing some sort of Army service but defitnely want it within a Torah lifestyle. Is there a type of community we would feel comfortable in?

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 10:01 am
A hesder-oriented, Torani community would be a good fit.

Do you prefer city/country?
Family size and ages?
Professions?
Do you have family/close friends here?
Hebrew levels?
Special considerations?

Last edited by Rappel on Wed, Jun 17 2020, 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 10:01 am
Probably most Dati Leumi/Torani type communities. Gush Etzion could be good fit. Plan a pilot trip as soon as such things are possible again.

How does your husband/children feel about this?

If you are serious about coming, start learning conversational Hebrew as soon as possible. One can cope without much Hebrew, but the better you speak it the easier it will be to get a job, go to the doctor, open a bank account, deal with school, and generally cope with the myriad details of daily life.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 10:08 am
Start by starting to learn Hebrew seriously. Like, yesterday. Too many Americans think that a few months of free ulpan is the magical answer to becoming fluent. It's not. Anyone considering aliyah, before they start pondering whether they need to start wearing stockings or get rid of netflix, needs to LEARN HEBREW.

Signed, someone who hosts a never ending stream of anglos who have been in Israel longer than I have and have nowhere else to go because they never bothered learning Hebrew and integrating into society....

Bubblegum1

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 10:10 am
Rappel wrote:
A hesder-oriented, Torani community would be a good fit.

Do you prefer city/country?
Family size and ages?
Professions?
Do you have family/close friends here?
Hebrew levels?
Special considerations?

Thank you for response! Smaller city would be good but definitely need easy access to stores etc. 3 kids under age 6 so I feel like if were doing it we should do it next couple of year before they are older. No close family or friends there yet but we are pretty independent as it is here. Dont speak Hebrew at all but willing to learn! I'm a stay at home mom now and my husband runs a business that potentially he can run remotely.

Bubblegum1

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 10:12 am
Elfrida wrote:
Probably most Dati Leumi/Torani type communities. Gush Etzion could be good fit. Plan a pilot trip as soon as such things are possible again.

How does your husband/children feel about this?

If you are serious about coming, start learning conversational Hebrew as soon as possible. One can cope without much Hebrew, but the better you speak it the easier it will be to get a job, go to the doctor, open a bank account, deal with school, and generally cope with the myriad details of daily life.

Thank you for your response. Yes I want to plan a trip once covid settles down hopefully. If theres any specific communities you suggest we visit please let me know!

Any online hebrew learning program you suggest?

blessedflower

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 10:16 am
Duolingo app is a good start to learn English in my opinion. But I might not be the best example

essie14

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 10:24 am
If you dont speak any Hebrew at all, you may do best in community with a large group of anglos.
I would look into
Mevo horon (not a lot of anglos, but a few)
RBS
Alon shvut

Bubblegum1

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 10:39 am
Thanks! I do think a place like RBS would be easiest transition wise but I am wondering long term how these kids do? Do they ever feel integrated into Israleli society or does it not matter because Americans can never really be Israeli? Not sure if I am explaining myself well...

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 10:45 am
How well kids do in the long term depends a lot on the parents. If you go back to the States a few times a year, only buy clothing from there, etc, it's hard. I knew a family where the father commuted, and did the grocery shopping in New York. Some of their kids are in the US now, despite having grown up in Israel. But that's a really extreme case.

Kids who come when they are young and are firmly planted in Israel integrate well.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 10:48 am
The younger they come, the easier for children to integrate into Israeli society. They will retain some American perspective because they will absorb that at home. However, that won't stop them being Israeli, speaking fluent Hebrew, and possibly marrying Israelis when it comes to it.

They will happily correct your Hebrew and roll their eyes when you express some particularly American perspective.

If you life in an american bubble, refuse to speak a word of Hebrew, insist that American ways are superior - it will be hard for them to straddle the two worlds. If you are willing to adapt, they will be fine. Their children will finally be completely Israeli!

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 10:49 am
Bubblegum1 wrote:
Thanks! I do think a place like RBS would be easiest transition wise but I am wondering long term how these kids do? Do they ever feel integrated into Israleli society or does it not matter because Americans can never really be Israeli? Not sure if I am explaining myself well...

It really depends on the attitude of the parents, if they roll with societies punches, try to integrate, and don't put down things.

That's what it depends on. Seriously, more than the kid's friends. The parents attitude ALWAYS filters down. If you are negative or anti society or the system - THAT will ruin the kids.

That is the main reason for going OTD, is confusion and frustration with the home life and its interactions with society.

essie14

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 12:06 pm
Bubblegum1 wrote:

As everyone said, the parents attitude contributes a lot. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat.

Bubblegum1

Post Sat, Jun 20 2020, 11:11 pm
Thank you all for responding to me. As I said I dont want to rush into this. I'm going to begin exploring my options and plan for a pilot trip probably next Spring hoping covid will be mitigated somewhat by then
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions