Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Returning to work - advice needed
Previous  1  2

watergirl

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 11:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So far, yes. I live in one of the heimish/frum areas....

I thought so. A regular office will treat you with more professional respect and run with more professionalism.

Just because you live in a frum/heimish area does mean you must work in that kind of office.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 11:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Interesting. Thanks for telling me that, it's good to know that even part time jobs can give PTO and be flexible.

How many hours would you consider part time?

30 hours is usually eligible for PTO and benefits and doable with children at home.

ora_43

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 12:14 pm
Keep in mind that more work = more money, and more money can also solve some of these problems.

You can hire someone to help keep the house clean. You can buy premade food. And while money doesn't substitute for time when it comes to family, it does feel good to be able to afford fun activities with kids.

I'd say be open to full time work. Expect it to be hard for the first few months. There's an adjustment period for you, for your husband, for your kids. If it's still not working out after a year, then either ask to reduce your hours (if you like the job) or look for something else (if you don't).

At the same time, keep an eye out for jobs that have exactly the hours you want. Sometimes there are jobs looking for someone for 80% time; some part-time jobs are interesting and have competent, respectful managers.

It's true that if you work part-time your career will probably move forward a lot more slowly. It's something to be aware of and proactive about. IME to some extent you can compensate for that by being proactive, looking for ways to make your boss's life easier, learning new skills wherever possible, offering to do XYZ outside your job description - that kind of thing. And asking for pay raises + improved job titles every once in a while.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics