Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Online ulpan?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 11:38 am
Where can I take good ulpan-style classes online? Is there anything available that has chareidim teaching so I can learn that style of speaking? (My kids are teens and aliyah has been our dream for a long time...waiting till we have an empty nest and figured now is the time to work on my Hebrew.)

Rappel

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 12:07 pm
Not a human, but a lot of people like Duolingo Smile I think it's a very well-done program

RuralIma

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 12:09 pm
iTalki.com has Hebrew teachers
Ulpan Or offers online classes but they're pricey

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 12:11 pm
That the depends on your level

Different universities in Israel have all kinds of lectures on Youtube...
If you are at a level where you can follow them, you can learn a lot there...
Search for "Tauvod" "Hebrew University" "Bar Ilan University" in the youtube search function, and you will find their channels and you can pick the subjects that interest you...

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 12:29 pm
How is "Charedi" Hebrew different from modern Ivrit? If you make Aliyah, you will be taught the modern language. If you want to learn Yiddish, then try Rosetta Stone.

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 3:34 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
How is "Charedi" Hebrew different from modern Ivrit? If you make Aliyah, you will be taught the modern language. If you want to learn Yiddish, then try Rosetta Stone.

They say "איפה אתה אוחז" for "Wu heltst di?" (= where are you at, in a book or so... or what is your position)...
Non-chareidi Israelis don't say that... because אוחז is "halten" in the sense of holding, grasping, not in the sense of "stopping" (where did you stop), as it is meant in yiddish... It's a homonym in yiddish that led to a new creation in chareidi ivrit...

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 4:00 pm
Ora in town wrote:
They say "איפה אתה אוחז" for "Wu heltst di?" (= where are you at, in a book or so... or what is your position)...
Non-chareidi Israelis don't say that... because אוחז is "halten" in the sense of holding, grasping, not in the sense of "stopping" (where did you stop), as it is meant in yiddish... It's a homonym in yiddish that led to a new creation in chareidi ivrit...

Chareidi Ivris.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 5:02 pm
The chareidi expressions are a little different just because of a different worldview. Like people say "shalom u'vracha" but secular people not so much. Stuff like that.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 5:04 pm
Thanks so much for the suggestions, I'll look into them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions