Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
How do I wash and style my sheitel?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 6:21 pm
Hi, I've started wearing a sheitel fairly recently and need to wash it. Last time, I took it to a sheitel macher, but now I'm scared to do that. Can anyone tell me what I need to do or what I should avoid? It's an expensive sheitel and I don't want to ruin it. Thank you for your help! And a git moed to everyone.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 6:26 pm
I’m not a professional and have no idea if this is good or not, but for the past 3 years I’ve been doing my wigs myself. I was in the sink (or where while I shower) and just use whatever shampoo/conditioner I normally use (maybe should use special ones for colored though)
Then hang upside down to dry, usually about a day. Then just style using my curling iron

So far has been working great for me

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 6:28 pm
It is preferable to wait until after yom tov to wash your sheitel !
If it's expensive and you've never done it before maybe wait until you can take it to your sheitel macher.
Look up you tube videos on how to wash sheitels. Not sure how to post links!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 6:30 pm
See this video.
https://youtu.be/O8h11GGTso4

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 8:44 pm
I'm so grateful for your responses. Thank you! Crimson, how would I hang it upside down? On what?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 11:43 pm
Be very careful not to put conditioner near the cap. It can cause the knots to loosen, and hair to fall out.

Don't wash with hot water.

Don't make a mush of the hair when you wash, just run the shampoo through the hair with your fingers..

ila

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 11:58 pm
Don’t hung upside down just take a towel and dry it a little bit and let it dry in a foam head

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 12:41 am
Thank you for your wonderful advice! I'm touched by all the responses. Thank you! Smile

ttbtbm

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 1:12 am
I’ve washed my own Shaitels but I don’t think I’m brave enough to wash one with a lace top or lace front. Those are delicate.

gella

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 1:57 am
On instagram https://instagram.com/racheli_.....k691u
She has great tutorials!!

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 1:34 pm
Personally I would wait rather than risk for an expensive sheitel. And once washed, you still need to style it nicely.

Not meaning to be facetious, but where are you going now that you need to look perfectly groomed. I am not saying one has to be slovenly but since I am not seeing anyone but the people I live with, I have no need to dress formally with a perfectly coifed sheitel. Very Happy

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 1:39 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Personally I would wait rather than risk for an expensive sheitel. And once washed, you still need to style it nicely.

Not meaning to be facetious, but where are you going now that you need to look perfectly groomed. I am not saying one has to be slovenly but since I am not seeing anyone but the people I live with, I have no need to dress formally with a perfectly coifed sheitel. Very Happy

I thought we just wear freshly done sheitls for Dh .

JK LOL

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 1:57 pm
ex shaitle macher here.

1. gently brush the wig, starting from the bottom and gradually going up to the top to get out any knots.
2. put wig on a shaitle head. best is a heavy plastic one, but if you only have styrofoam thats ok too.
3. put t-pins near each ear so the wig is secured onto the head. also put a t-pin in the forehead, in the place where the part is supposed to be, so it doesn't get messed up.
4. get the shaitle wet in the bathtub. wash with shampoo, but don't totally mush the bottom hair all the way up to the scalp like you would with hair. the roots are delicate. kind of roll the hair between your hands with shampoo, and then kind of massage the head part with your fingertips. When finished, wash it out, and repeat. (meaning you do the shampoo step twice)
5. apply conditioner to the entire wig EXCEPT for the top of the head. No conditioner in the bangs and def not near the part. Too much conditioner there will make the hairs shed. Leave the conditioner in for a full five minutes. Wash out the conditioner about 90%, but leave a drop of silkiness.
6. put a towel down where you will be drying the wig naturally.
7. wrap a towel around the wig and carry to where you will be drying it.
8. gently comb the hair, again, starting with the bottoms and working your way to the top to avoid breaking any hairs. also, be careful to comb at a 45 degree angle away from the net, so that you don't get hairs tangled into the wrong side of the net (if you do, it is extremely difficult to fix)
9. scrunch the wig a bit with your fingers so that the hair is not flat flat flat (unless you like it totally straight and flat). (Option 2: make about 4-5 braids--this will give it some very light waves)
10. comb the bang area how you would want it to fall when dry (if away from your face, do that, if forwards, do that)
11. let your wig dry FULLY by itself, overnight or longer. this is verrrry important.
12. When dry, again comb the hair out. Now assess. What is the littlest you can do to make this wearable? You want to use as little heat as possible because heat is what does irreparable damage to the wig.
13. if you need to apply heat (iron, curling iron, blow dryer) every single hair that will come into contact with the heat MUST have heat protectant on it. I love schvartzkopf guardian angel, but there are other brands that work well.
14. use the heat tool on the lowest setting possible to get the job done. I can't explain how to use the heat tools over writing.

p.s my sister washes her shaitles by keeping them on her head, getting in the shower, washing there, and then drying on a wig head. Never tried that, but a creative endeavor...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 11:24 pm
I am so grateful! You ladies are amazing! THANK YOU SO MUCH! Hashem should bless you with health and happiness. Have a wonderful yontiff.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 11:56 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
ex shaitle macher here.

1. gently brush the wig, starting from the bottom and gradually going up to the top to get out any knots.
2. put wig on a shaitle head. best is a heavy plastic one, but if you only have styrofoam thats ok too.
3. put t-pins near each ear so the wig is secured onto the head. also put a t-pin in the forehead, in the place where the part is supposed to be, so it doesn't get messed up.
4. get the shaitle wet in the bathtub. wash with shampoo, but don't totally mush the bottom hair all the way up to the scalp like you would with hair. the roots are delicate. kind of roll the hair between your hands with shampoo, and then kind of massage the head part with your fingertips. When finished, wash it out, and repeat. (meaning you do the shampoo step twice)
5. apply conditioner to the entire wig EXCEPT for the top of the head. No conditioner in the bangs and def not near the part. Too much conditioner there will make the hairs shed. Leave the conditioner in for a full five minutes. Wash out the conditioner about 90%, but leave a drop of silkiness.
6. put a towel down where you will be drying the wig naturally.
7. wrap a towel around the wig and carry to where you will be drying it.
8. gently comb the hair, again, starting with the bottoms and working your way to the top to avoid breaking any hairs. also, be careful to comb at a 45 degree angle away from the net, so that you don't get hairs tangled into the wrong side of the net (if you do, it is extremely difficult to fix)
9. scrunch the wig a bit with your fingers so that the hair is not flat flat flat (unless you like it totally straight and flat). (Option 2: make about 4-5 braids--this will give it some very light waves)
10. comb the bang area how you would want it to fall when dry (if away from your face, do that, if forwards, do that)
11. let your wig dry FULLY by itself, overnight or longer. this is verrrry important.
12. When dry, again comb the hair out. Now assess. What is the littlest you can do to make this wearable? You want to use as little heat as possible because heat is what does irreparable damage to the wig.
13. if you need to apply heat (iron, curling iron, blow dryer) every single hair that will come into contact with the heat MUST have heat protectant on it. I love schvartzkopf guardian angel, but there are other brands that work well.
14. use the heat tool on the lowest setting possible to get the job done. I can't explain how to use the heat tools over writing.

p.s my sister washes her shaitles by keeping them on her head, getting in the shower, washing there, and then drying on a wig head. Never tried that, but a creative endeavor...

Thank you!!
It's any heat protectant good?
Like tresseme?
I'm freaking bad that I've done my sheitel so many times without. Maybe that's why they look so dead?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 11:59 pm
Also, to exshaitel macher, do you dry your sheitel on the head?

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 6:36 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Thank you!!
It's any heat protectant good?
Like tresseme?
I'm freaking bad that I've done my sheitel so many times without. Maybe that's why they look so dead?

The good ones say on the bottle up to how many degrees it protects against. The one I use protects against 420 degrees, and I use much less heat than that.
Yeah, not using heat protectant, even once, can permanently kill the hair. No need to call yourself names though, this is not about morals, its about hair Smile

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 6:37 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Also, to exshaitel macher, do you dry your sheitel on the head?

YES!! So important

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 8:45 pm
OP here. I'm happy to say that your guidance was great and I successfully washed my sheitel. :-) I need some help with the styling. I'm planning to use a curling iron, but what do I do to make the sheitel keep its shape? Do I use mousse? Hair spray? Something else? Also, if there are any particular brands that you recommend, please let me know. Thank you so much.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 8:50 pm
you can spray with a bit of hairspray...I wouldn't go too crazy cuz when brushed out it can get white residue... I'd rather just leave it natural and redo it WITH HEAT PROTECTANT if it falls quickly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels