Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Want to get an anklet but concerned about getting "labeled"
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 11:07 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I just googled anklet since I was unsure what it looked like and WOW!! They are gorgeous! There are some really pretty ones tiny gold chains with mini gold charms dangling, theyre so pretty! Its jewelry like a bracelet just on your legs. so adorning!
can we please make this a new trend in ultra frum circles? I love the look!

It’s just not something accepted...
Most people don’t even think it looks so nice anyway-

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 11:08 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I just googled anklet since I was unsure what it looked like and WOW!! They are gorgeous! There are some really pretty ones tiny gold chains with mini gold charms dangling, theyre so pretty! Its jewelry like a bracelet just on your legs. so adorning!

Your post made me laugh. I really needed that Smile

Have fun starting this trend. I will let you know when it hits my side of town Laugh

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 11:11 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

Looks silly with stockings. It is meant to be worn with bare legs. Otherwise, fashion faux pas, akin to thick ankle socks with dainty sandals. So, no, I don't see this becoming a trend in ultra frum stocking wearing circles.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 11:28 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
It truly stinks to admit this, but the more conformist your community, the less likely you are able to do ANYTHING without being labeled.

If you do anything outside of cultural norms, positive or negative, people will wonder why and slap a label on to explain your decision.

If the norm is that women talk in shul, and you quietly sit and daven, you will have acquired a label of "overly frum."

If the norm is that kids wear blues and greens, and you dress your kid in yellow, you will earn the label of "flamboyant."

If the norm is that women have their ears pierced, and you don't, you get labeled as "dowdy."

So in a place with pretty narrow norms, you will get labeled for your anklet, your shaitel, your taste in cars, and the snacks you send with your kids.

In a more open-minded society, there is less need for labels, because you are unlikely to cross cultural norms unless you are extremely unusual.

Not that this need to stop you from doing anything, but it is important to realize that it is an immutable fact. There is no way to cross norms without getting labeled.

(Although, you may be able to change the norms by getting a large enough group to agree that it is not a boundary crossing.)

Very true but imamothers often get offended by your idea.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 12:18 am
I would probably think of you as quirky and fun. I haven’t seen an ankle bracelet in forever. I didn’t think it would cross the radar of “modern” in most people’s minds, but according to this thread it does.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics