Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Krayot? Shafir? also re: Israeli Anglos

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 11:55 pm
Has anyone heard of Krayot? It's listed on NBN, but I'm not sure what it's about, insofar as apt. availability, cost of apts., Anglo's, religiosity, train transportation etc.

Ditto-questions re: Shafir, and the new Efrat construction, and what they're projected to be like.

Finally, approx. what percentage of Anglo's in Israel would you say live in areas where housing is expensive?

By that, I mean over 200k for a 1-br apt.

As for houses, or attached houses, I've no idea what average Anglo standards are now.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 1:35 am
The "Krayot" is a collective name for the satellite cities on the outskirts of Haifa, including Kiryat Yam, Kiryat Motzkin, Kiryat Bialik, Kiryat Ata and Kiryat Haim.

Maybe that will help in your research.

https://anglo-list.com/aliyah-.....ation

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 2:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anyone heard of Krayot? It's listed on NBN, but I'm not sure what it's about, insofar as apt. availability, cost of apts., Anglo's, religiosity, train transportation etc.

Ditto-questions re: Shafir, and the new Efrat construction, and what they're projected to be like.

Finally, approx. what percentage of Anglo's in Israel would you say live in areas where housing is expensive?

By that, I mean over 200k for a 1-br apt.

As for houses, or attached houses, I've no idea what average Anglo standards are now.

There are very few places with one bedroom apartments here for sale.
Most apartments for sale have 3 bedrooms - that's the average. There are some with two and some with 4+.
I don't know the percentages, but most Anglos live in Ra'anana, Jerusalem, Modi'in, where housing is more expensive. Also Ramat Bet Shemesh, but I don't know prices there.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 2:12 am
DrMom wrote:
The "Krayot" is a collective name for the satellite cities on the outskirts of Haifa, including Kiryat Yam, Kiryat Motzkin, Kiryat Bialik, Kiryat Ata and Kiryat Haim.

Maybe that will help in your research.

https://anglo-list.com/aliyah-.....ation

Exactly. I've met a few nice religious families from Kiryat Ata, but never an English speaker, if that matters.

I don't actually know what the distribution of Anglos around the country is. I know that a year or two ago, a statistic came out that in Judea-Samaria, 15% of the population are Anglos, which is a lot.

It's a life choice, whether you integrate or not, and to what degree. I don't think broad statistics really play a role. On one end of the spectrum are the "closet Americans" - those whom refuse to speak English ideologically, or acknowledge their past culture in anything but barest reference. On the other end are the Americans that speak English-only daily, and talk about "those Israelis," and are still economic and social satellites of America. Most of us just fall somewhere in the middle, and found a place where we're happy to live Smile

Very few people stay in the location to which they made aliyah. Your first stop is a landing pad of sorts - somewhere where you have easy access to food and services, where you can learn the language, and have someone help you through the culture shock. After a year or two, once you're on your feet, you branch out to somewhere which suits the lifestyle you want to live - and then you determine the housing you'll be living in.

Though if you're curious what the prices are in different areas, I recommend you look at the website Yad2. You can search different cities/neighbourhoods, specify parameters you need for your apartment, and sort for renting/buying, and see what the options are.

Last edited by Rappel on Mon, Jun 22 2020, 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 2:18 am
There may be a sprinkling of Anglos in the Krayot; no significant cohesive community that I know of, but I may be wrong. You may want to ask on a Haifa-area Anglo board.

There are plenty of Anglos outside of Modiin/Raanana/Chashmonaim/Beit Shemesh/Jerusalem/the Gush, but not necessarily clumped together in large quantities, so if a highly English-speaking atmosphere is important to you, it may not be the best place.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 2:28 am
DrMom wrote:
There may be a sprinkling of Anglos in the Krayot; no significant cohesive community that I know of, but I may be wrong. You may want to ask on a Haifa-area Anglo board.

There are plenty of Anglos outside of Modiin/Raanana/Chashmonaim/Beit Shemesh/Jerusalem/the Gush, but not necessarily clumped together in large quantities, so if a highly English-speaking atmosphere is important to you, it may not be the best place.

Definitely. I didn't mean to say that all the Anglos live there, but that the major anglo communities are there.
I live in a city in Israel where there are some anglos, but they are mainly married to Israelis or entrenched in Israeli culture, and there is no anglo community.

(There are also a few more cities with significant anglo presence - Zichron, old city section in Tzfat, Mazkeret Batya).

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 3:32 am
Thanks. Of the Krayot - is only Kiryat Ata very religious?
I actually visited someone in K.A. long ago, but never heard of Krayot.
Is any of the other Krayot religious? What do 2-bedroom apts. cost?

OK, thanks for the answers. Now I somewhat have confirmation that anyone with comparatively low assets won't ever be able to buy a suitable apt. in a religious area with other Anglo's.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 4:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

OK, thanks for the answers. Now I somewhat have confirmation that anyone with comparatively low assets won't ever be able to buy a suitable apt. in a religious area with other Anglo's.

What's your budget?
Maybe you can look at yeshuvim.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 4:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If you mean to say that people who have a low income can’t buy a home in a prime location, I don’t think you needed this thread for that.
However, there are areas with some/many English speakers that are not super expensive, especially if you compromise on over the green line, apartment rather than private home, and the ratio of English speakers (who will admittedly be more integrated) to native Israelis.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 5:29 am
What about Beer Sheva or Rechovot? Should be cheaper than many of the Anglo places mentioned but still have Anglo communities.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 6:53 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
What about Beer Sheva or Rechovot? Should be cheaper than many of the Anglo places mentioned but still have Anglo communities.

Rehovot isn't so cheap

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 6:56 am
Beersheva has a young english speaking chabad community that started some years ago.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 7:27 am
tfat is cheap and has an anglo community
maalot is cheap and has an anglo community
carmiel is cheap and has an anglo community
mitzpeh netufa is cheap and has an anglo community
yavniel is cheap and has an anglo community

the difference with these places vrs. the anglo centers is that while you will have a small anglo community of say 50 families compared to places with hundreds of families. also your kids will either quickly become israeli ( imo a good thing) or really struggle - if they are younger chances are they will struggle more...

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 8:06 am
Rappel wrote:
Exactly. I've met a few nice religious families from Kiryat Ata, but never an English speaker, if that matters.

My aunt is a nice religious English speaker who lives in Kiryat Ata Smile
Other then that I don't know the area at all.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 8:14 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
tfat is cheap and has an anglo community
maalot is cheap and has an anglo community
carmiel is cheap and has an anglo community
mitzpeh netufa is cheap and has an anglo community
yavniel is cheap and has an anglo community

the difference with these places vrs. the anglo centers is that while you will have a small anglo community of say 50 families compared to places with hundreds of families. also your kids will either quickly become israeli ( imo a good thing) or really struggle - if they are younger chances are they will struggle more...

Does OP have kids? I was under the understanding that she doesn't if she only originally wanted a one bedroom apartment. OP could you clarify?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions