Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What do you consider a decent salary?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 10:14 pm
I’m not asking how much it costs to live a frum lifestyle. I’m all too well aware. But I see people posting about their husband not earning much or conversely that they’re doing well. And I’m just curious what people consider a decent amount. Obviously it depends how many children you have, where you live.. but generally speaking what is considered a nice living? My husband was making 150k before corona, and I was working minimally (like 12k). I’d think that’s a decent living. But it’s just not nearly enough. And everyone we know seems to be making a lot more. So I wonder when people talk about a decent living, if they’re talking about upwards of at least 250k+?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 10:16 pm
Decent for part time above 40k.
For full time above 80k.

Anything above 100k is nice, way more than decent.
My husband would disagree, he says any salary limit isn't 'nice', he prefers a commission based job with unlimited potential, or being a business owner. I'm not sure I agree, I'd prefer a consistent 150k a year vs no money for a few years, 300k one year, 40k the next, next unknown.

In the frum community there's also a big wage gap though, young 22 year old girls get offered $14-$16 an hour, while a guy the same age and experience gets offered $20-$22.

It's annoying.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 10:22 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Decent for part time above 40k.
For full time above 80k.

In the frum community there's also a big wage gap though, young 22 year old girls get offered $14-$16 an hour, while a guy the same age and experience gets offered $20-$22.

It's annoying.

This. I would love to sue. Twisted Evil
No proof.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 10:38 pm
Decent compared to the rest of the world? $100+
Decent if you’re frum? $300+

ROFL

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 10:42 pm
$250,000-300,000 is good for a frum
Family with 4-6 kids. More children you need more
Money.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 10:43 pm
Combined income?or just the man ?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 10:47 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:

The wage gap doesn't go away as girls get older. A male boss told me to my face that if I had been a man he would have been paying me at least 10k more.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 10:51 pm
I also think it really depends on other things you didn’t include-

Besides for age/family stage and location based costs, there’s also any sort of support network, either financial or otherwise to consider.

My husband is bh studying for a high paying career, but realistically I still won’t live as nicely as my kollel brother who married a rich girl bh. Or even my friend who’s husband has a job that’s maybe one tier down salary wise but has a down payment saved up (not jealous- his parent died and left it...).

With that same logic, when I bh have a baby I need to hire any help I need. So I try to do without but I budget for it. Many of my friends have mothers or other supports that help a lot, that’s thousands of dollars. Conversely, When we moved we lived by my parents for 3 months which added up to thousands in savings and helped us cover our move. Ppl go to parents every yt and some ppl host their parents. All these things are not just once in a while, they change the whole financial landscape. My 60k a year would go a lot further if I didn’t have to budget for tons of off hour babysitting (my colleagues husband watches her kid for example) that cuts into a big chunk.

My point is that salary doesn’t always or ever translate to lifestyle, there are so many other factors.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 10:53 pm
This is a very painful topic for me.
My DH is a hard working man and makes 55k a year, working full time.
I am in alot of physical pain, so I cant work.
Family of 8.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:06 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
The wage gap doesn't go away as girls get older. A male boss told me to my face that if I had been a man he would have been paying me at least 10k more.

You could sue. You should.

We are past the age of this nasty gender discrimination. It makes my blood boil.

And I'm usually a pretty calm conservative.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:15 pm
We make a combined 130k living oot. I'd say it's decent considering our home cost under 150k our jobs give us good benefits and our children are relatively young. We are able to save about 1k a month. But we live simply. Used cars and the like. Our income will need to grow as our family expands and gets older. For an older family I think 200k would be sufficient.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:22 pm
This is hard to answer. Where you live is a factor. So is age. A decent living at 25 isn't necessarily still a decent living at 45.

Sewsew_mom

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:25 pm
Net? Or gross? Definitely also makes a huge difference..

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:47 pm
300k??!! I think I am living on a different planet. what type of job pays that?? I would venture to guess most frum ppl dont make that kind of money.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:49 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Decent compared to the rest of the world? $100+
Decent if you’re frum? $300+

100k for a single household is nice.
200k for couple to live comfortable ny lifestyle

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:50 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
300k??!! I think I am living on a different planet. what type of job pays that?? I would venture to guess most frum ppl dont make that kind of money.

Ok so then how do people afford tuition and camp?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:55 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
Net? Or gross? Definitely also makes a huge difference..

Gross

I'm a recruiter
Most employees make in the 100k+ - 150k range.

I'm talking about Jews from across the Tristate area.

Less than 100k is low although many people are on that kind of salary.

More than 150k is very nice amount for an employee.

People with 250k- 300k positions are far and few in between and they usually have a big burden of the business on their shoulder.

More money = more responsibility.

amother
Vermilion

amother [ OP ] wrote:

Imo, 1. In some communities those things are cheaper, and 2. Parents helping.

amother
Wine

amother [ OP ] wrote:

Clueless.

CCs?

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:56 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Imo, 1. In some communities those things are cheaper, and 2. Parents helping.

Not really.
Oot communities tend to have higher tuitions. (In town I pay 4k-8.5k per kid = 28 k tuition. My friends oot pay over 10 k per kid - in cities like baltimore and Florida).
Sleepover camp costs are similar every where.
Parents helping should be counted as income.

I find from people in frum areas tend to make more money - not sure why or how.

But we also have investments so not as dependent on steady salaries to make it. That can also be part of ppls ‘cheshbons’.

Also ppl save differently so ppls salaries stretch differently. Do you have 401k? Save for kids college or weddings?
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics